Spartacus on Starz (spoilers for US aired episodes!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

I hope you didn't judge it based solely on the first episode because it was by far the weakest of the series. Once you get into the meat of it, and the show stops trying to be 300 and does it's own thing, the character development is sooooo good.

I haven't seen TV this awful in a LONG time. I had to turn it off after 30 minutes. The acting was bad (except for a few exceptions), it is loaded with crappy genre cliches, and it uses slick stylistic CGI to compensate.

F minus. This show sucks.

If you only watched 30 minutes then you are doing yourself a big disservice. As others have said, the show gets better with each episode and once you reach episode 6 a huge game changing event occurs that sets the show speeding in high gear right up to the finale.

Ok. I respect all your opinions. I'll give it another go.

I cant wait for this to come back on in march. LOved it when he went to the pits :)

Definitely give it another go. I was in the same boat, and I could barely even finish the first episode. The second was a little better but still pretty bad, so I dropped it, only to catch episode 4 a few weeks later. It was MUCH better by then, I started watching it again, and it quickly became one of the most badass TV shows I have ever seen.:yess:

Awesome! I can't wait to hear how you like (or dislike) each episode. If you liked 300 or Rome, then you will LOVE this series because it takes the best elements of both and combines it into one. The finale is so jaw droppingly good that I get goose bumps everytime I watch it. Happy viewing!! :rock :rock :rock

I wouldn't compare Spartacus to HBO's Rome. I'd compare it to a very R-rated Xena or Hercules. I don't say that as a slam. As it was said a few posts ago, once they stopped trying to be 300 The Series and got a sense of their own identity it's a fun little show.

I'm glad this mini-series will allow certain characters to return, but it's clearly just a treading water story they did while they still thought Whitfield might be able to return.

They honestly could have ended the series. The season 1 finale was a pretty decent resolution to the show. It might not take you up to the "I'm Spartacus!!!" moment, but it tied up enough plot threads to call it a day.

It's a shame about Whitfield's real life cancer fight, I hope he's doing OK.

Love the show, can't wait for the prequel series. I really hope they don't replace Andy as Spartacus, just make a new character the star of the show. Andy could do a voice narration or something to pass the torch to the new guy until he can come back to the show. Any word if they are filming season 2 yet?

They are recasting. Cancer's a bitch, but even Andy said the show must go on.

After the events of the first season they will probably show the escaped gladiators make their way to Mount Vesuvius where they set up defenses anticipating a Roman retaliation.

only saw a couple episodes of this and decided to DL the whole season and watch it from start to finish. really a great show imo while it's got the 300ish sense to it, i thing it's made it's own way now. kinda odd how they've killed off so many of the main characters though, but i think lawless will be back as she wasn't dead at the end.

only saw a couple episodes of this and decided to DL the whole season and watch it from start to finish. really a great show imo while it's got the 300ish sense to it, i thing it's made it's own way now. kinda odd how they've killed off so many of the main characters though, but i think lawless will be back as she wasn't dead at the end.

Yea I am not sure about that. I think she is dead they will move on. Her character has no purpose anymore. Spartacus is way behind her now.

She will be in the prequel season however! :rock

pretty sure Lawless's character is dead and I agree, she doesn't serve a purpose in season 2 since season 2 would be about Spartacus raiding cities and growing an army.

There will be plenty of "villians" in season 2 to battle with Spartacus and Crixis.

I'll miss the gladiator parts of the show, but hopefully the actual battles and raids will be pretty cool.

The military politics part will be very interesting I'm sure.

Season 1 was so BA is wasn't even funny. I only hope Whitfield gets better because I do not want another Spartacus...plain and simple

Lucy Lawless was not dead and is confirmed for season 2 (if it still happens).

The writers of "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" are not going to let Lucy Lawless die that easily. The actress plays Lucretia in the original Starz series and her character was among the fallen ones in the bloody season one finale. Lucretia dies in the initial script but Lawless wins over the crew's heart that her character is now made "still twitching at the end".

Showrunner Steven S. DeKnight, at the Television Critics Association tour on Saturday, August 7, revealed that Lawless is a lock for season two. "Starz called, they wanted her to come back," DeKnight recalled. "I said 'absolutely not, she's gotta die, that's the way the story goes.' Then the next day I called up [exec producer Rob Tapert] and said, 'Rob, I've got an idea'."

Beside in the new season, Lawless will also appear in the prequel which has been titled "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena". It was initially a stand-alone two-hour project but they have built an extensive storyline that it now spans six hours.

"We're thrilled to be able to go back and tell a lot of the things you hear about in Season 1," DeKnight explained what the prequel is about. "Little one-liners, like when Peter Mensah [Oenomaus] mentions his wife in one line -- now we've built an entire story around that."

Lucy Lawless was not dead and is confirmed for season 2 (if it still happens).

The writers of "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" are not going to let Lucy Lawless die that easily. The actress plays Lucretia in the original Starz series and her character was among the fallen ones in the bloody season one finale. Lucretia dies in the initial script but Lawless wins over the crew's heart that her character is now made "still twitching at the end".

Showrunner Steven S. DeKnight, at the Television Critics Association tour on Saturday, August 7, revealed that Lawless is a lock for season two. "Starz called, they wanted her to come back," DeKnight recalled. "I said 'absolutely not, she's gotta die, that's the way the story goes.' Then the next day I called up [exec producer Rob Tapert] and said, 'Rob, I've got an idea'."

Beside in the new season, Lawless will also appear in the prequel which has been titled "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena". It was initially a stand-alone two-hour project but they have built an extensive storyline that it now spans six hours.

"We're thrilled to be able to go back and tell a lot of the things you hear about in Season 1," DeKnight explained what the prequel is about. "Little one-liners, like when Peter Mensah [Oenomaus] mentions his wife in one line -- now we've built an entire story around that."

Wow. This is the first epic fail of this show.

Wow. This is the first epic fail of this show.

I don't know. I'd be willing to see where they go with it first. She probably looses the baby, but her wound was not necessarily fatal. They could work her into the story in a number of ways. She wants revenge on Spartacus, Ilythia and Crixus so a number of intriguing possibilities exist.

Of course none of this matters if there is no season 2. Still no further word on a replacement for Spartacus. One rumor I heard was that they might focus season 2 on another character (Crixus?) while Andy recovers and then he could return for season 3. I like that possibility the best because it is going to be so hard seeing someone else in the Spartacus role. The only other alternative besides recasting is to cancel the show altogether.

Back