Spartacus on Starz (spoilers for US aired episodes!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

From what I have just read online, it appears that E! is reporting that Wentworth Miller has expressed an interest in the role of Spartacus. There is nothing saying that Starz has expressed an interest in casting WM in the role. That's like saying that I am expressing an interest in the role too but I will never be cast in it. Let's hope this doesn't go any farther than "expressing interest" in a role. I just can't see WM as Spartacus. Spartacus is a rugged looking warrior. WM is too much of a pretty boy, IMO.

That is why they are called actors. :D

I am not pro Wentworth Miller but you can't knock the guy until he tries.

wonder if whats his face from avatar/clash of the titans is too famous for the role, maybe too young?

Spartacus takes on a leadership role more so than a hand to hand combat role, so they don't necessarily need a physical actor.

wonder if whats his face from avatar/clash of the titans is too famous for the role, maybe too young?

Yes, I'd rather see Sam Worthington, than Wentworth Miller, and he even bears a resemblance to Andy Whitfield, although I do think Worthington is too famous.
As far as I know he has a lot of projects he's working or going to work on like, Clash of the Titans 2, some Dracula film, Avatar 2, so I don't think he has time to do this...

Spartacus takes on a leadership role more so than a hand to hand combat role, so they don't necessarily need a physical actor.

Yea we discussed Sam Worthington a page or two back taking the role. He probably is not but he looks damn similar.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up re-casting a relative unknown actor in the role for a few reasons.

1.) No "former role baggage" for the audience to get over.
2.) They can pay an unknown much less then an established actor (probably the most important reason).
3.) An unknown actor would be more open to the amount of nudity required for the role.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up re-casting a relative unknown actor in the role for a few reasons.

1.) No "former role baggage" for the audience to get over.
2.) They can pay an unknown much less then an established actor (probably the most important reason).
3.) An unknown actor would be more open to the amount of nudity required for the role.

And he won't have a head big enough to mess up what Andy did.

Latest casting news. Sounds like an official casting announcement may come sometime next week.

The casting pool for a new Spartacus includes British actor Aiden Turner, Canadian Stephen Amell and Aussie Liam McIntyre, according to a new report.

The three are vying for the role being vacated by star Andy Whitfield, who had a relapse in his battle with non-Hodgkin lymphoma that has pulled him off the Starz project. The actors, like Whitfield was before the debut of "Spartacus," are virtual unknowns.

Turner spent six years playing Aidan Devane in the soap opera "All My Children" with smaller roles in other productions, mostly in Great Britain. Amell recently had guest stints in NBC's "Law & Order: Los Angeles" and CBS' "CSI Miami." He's also appeared in "Flashpoint," "Dante's Cove" and "Queer as Folk."

Most of McIntyre's work has been in Australian television, but he did make a recent appearance in the HBO miniseries "The Pacific."

After a highly successful first season, "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" faced an uncertain future when Whitfield was diagnosed with Stage 1 non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in March. Whitfield took time off to receive medical treatment while Starz filmed a prequel to accommodate his absence.

Whitfield's anticipated return was derailed in September when his cancer returned. He announced that he would drop out of preparations for the second season in order to focus on his health. Starz was then forced to decide between recasting the role and cancelling its hit series outright.

Ultimately, the decision was made to move forward with a new Spartacus.

The choice for the new lead is expected to be made as early as next week. The announcement will be a major step in getting the series back on track and setting up a timeline for Season 2's anticipated return.

The Spartacus prequel, "Gods of the Arena," is scheduled to air in January. It will star John Hannah, Lucy Lawless, Peter Mensah, Manu Bennett and Dustin Clare.

UPDATE 11/11/10: This is from Hollywood Deadline website: I hear that none of the three actors who screen tested for the Spartacus lead this week, Stephen Amell, Aiden Turner and Liam McIntyre, got the role. However, Starz is still holding onto McIntyre, the Australian, while the other two have been released. He may still get to be the next Spartacus, succeeding the ailing Andy Whitfield. But I hear Starz brass is considering all options for its hit series, including the possibility of ending it or bringing in someone else for the lead.

Here's a pic of Liam McIntyre in case he ends up with the role.

mcintyre1.jpg

Last edited:

Well thats good that you don't blame Starz for Andy Whitfield getting cancer. :lol

I would rather them just end the show instead..that 1st season wrapped up nicely, it not like it ended on a cliffhanger.

I just got done watching this show on Blu ray and I LOVED it. It was better then 300 and Gladiator. It is the best made for TV show i have ever watched. Sideshow needs to make an Andy Whitfield as Spartacus PF.

It sucks that Andy Whitfield wont be able to do the role anymore. He was perfect (all about those eyes) but I hope they are going to recast and continue rather than end the show. I need more boobies and blood :)

I just watched the 1st season on dvd last week and was hugely impressed with it. Great cast, storyline, everything was done spectacularly. Fingers are crossed that Andy Whitfield beats his cancer.

I haven't seen TV this awful in a LONG time. I had to turn it off after 30 minutes. The acting was bad (except for a few exceptions), it is loaded with crappy genre cliches, and it uses slick stylistic CGI to compensate.

F minus. This show sucks.

Back