Sopranos VS Breaking Bad

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The better show is........

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just finish watching The Sopranos last month with my wife who had not seen the show. After watching it so recently and watching the new BB episodes, I personally find The Sopranos to be the better overall show because the amount of great characters and theme of the show. Breaking Bad has great writing and great actors but there are characters I do not care about.

I just finish watching The Sopranos last month with my wife who had not seen the show. After watching it so recently and watching the new BB episodes, I personally find The Sopranos to be the better overall show because the amount of great characters and theme of the show. Breaking Bad has great writing and great actors but there are characters I do not care about.

I recently started watch the show again after so many years with my girlfriend who had never saw it and I was glued to it, yet again.

It didn't even occur to me until you guys talking about it how little I care about the characters in BrBa. The story was completely different in The Sopranos.

While the current popularity of BB can't be understated, one thing that also works in the favor of the Sopranos is that it was incredibly innovative at the time. There were almost no really high quality serial dramas like that. Nowadays, there are 5-10 really really good shows out there at a given time, on HBO, AMC, Showtime, FX, etc. As a result, those of us who first encountered Sopranos years ago, and appreciated it for that, may be giving it a bit of an unfair advantage due to its role as innovator in relation to the Law and Orders of the world or whatever.

Having said all that, I think more hot current stuff will always be more popular. Dexter's popularity was incredibly high a few years ago, but at this point I think folks are realizing that it is OK, but not really great, and may not stand the test of time. I don't think Breaking Bad is that way, but for some other shows I can see it, so I think it is something we should account for.

Having said all that, I think more hot current stuff will always be more popular. Dexter's popularity was incredibly high a few years ago, but at this point I think folks are realizing that it is OK, but not really great, and may not stand the test of time. I don't think Breaking Bad is that way, but for some other shows I can see it, so I think it is something we should account for.

The thing about Dexter is every season has a cookie cutter progression. Always a main story/bad guy with side stories/bad guys that are usually unrelated to the big picture...someone finds him out/joins/helps him and then leaves/dies. I LOVE Dexter but ask me why and I really can't explain it. The show has a feeling, a cool vibe to it. Maybe it's the Miami backdrop but i can't put my finger on it. Dexter isn't a character you have ever had to feel you should root against...and he breaks character, which had been established early on, on occasion without strong cause. I noticed this more evident when Michael C Hall became a producer.

I like Dexter, but the show has overstayed it's welcome. Especially with this droning final season.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dexter is a fun, watchable show. And it certainly has a different kind of character than we're used to seeing. But it's miles apart from genuinely outstanding television dramas like the Sopranos, the Wire, Boardwalk Empire, and Breaking Bad IMO.

That's odd, because I still find Walter to be one of the most compelling characters on television, and I still feel that he isn't too far gone. Then, too, that could say more about me.:lol

I'm not drawing any comparisons to The Sopranos, though, as I haven't seen much more than the first three episodes, and I'd like to watch it all the way through before I judge it against something else.

You can't dislike a character, and still find them enthralling?

No, I was referring to myself, in that I'm still rooting for Walter. Outside of the murder stuff, I don't really see what he's doing as that bad. Perhaps it goes back to what he was saying to Hank in Season 1; "you wonder what'll be legal next year."

Who are you asking? I think WW is fascinating, yes. I thought Shane was fascinating in the Walking Dead. It wasn't enough.

I find Tony Soprano to be infinitely more contemptible than Walter or Shane. You know what makes a greatest tv show ever? The fact that with full knowledge of Tony's character, I was still routing for him in the end. I looked forward to every time someone was going down on his orders, and even more so if it was by his own hand. Tony's hits were the highlight of the series for me. It was like watching a great white shark hunt.

That's how I feel about Walter White. Has he done some despicable things? Yes, but, in the end, I'm team Walt all the way.

Yes, but, in the end, I'm team Walt all the way.

Anyone who was fully engrossed in the Sopranos was all for Tony as well.

It's hard to come to a conclusion of which is the more "evil" character. I have more sympathy for Tony than Walter. Tony has much more emotion than Walter.

I don't have to root for the guy to still find his character completely amazing to watch. I want to know how is story ends.

Also, the fact that Dexter ends a certain way really ruins the entire show for me. Such a shame too.

I don't have to root for the guy to still find his character completely amazing to watch. I want to know how is story ends.

Also, the fact that Dexter ends a certain way really ruins the entire show for me. Such a shame too.

I did spoil some stuff by accident but I'm oblivious to the ending, but I expected it to be a bad ending. The writing on the show has been so incoherent and corny for years now.

LOL Totally true about the Wire though. It set the new standard for TV greatness, and nothing else I've seen rivals it.

The Wire is my favourite series too. The experience of watching it first time was like reading a good novel. Moreso than the Sopranos it demanded careful attention to just about every scene.

I still haven't voted in this poll :monkey1

Dexter is also better than BB or Sopranos, except for this season which is the first time I have been dissapointed with Dexter.

Back