Sopranos VS Breaking Bad

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The better show is........

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Could never get into Sopranos.

While after about 3 Breaking Bads, I blasted through all of them I was so hooked.

So BB and Netflix FTW!

I watched the first 3 episodes of Breaking Bad when they aired...but then I forgot what channel, and I never watched another episode until earlier last year.

Still. I don't regret it. Netflix is the best way to watch TV.

This breakdown makes a pretty compelling case for the cut to black being Tony meeting his end, well worth a read:

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

Yeah, I've read that. Its an excellent article. I came to the same conclusion after watching it about three times, although I didn't pick up all the nuances that this guy did. The initial airing I was confused, I thought my cable went out, until the credits rolled. It wasn't until after repeat viewings that I realized it was one of the best finales on television. It's incredible what James Gandolfini brought to the table for this character.

I can't vote on which I think is better because I haven't watched one episode of BB, and probably won't. I don't watch shows/films where the predominant subject is drugs.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

I like Breaking Bad better but it's really not that good IMO. Way overrated. Sopranos was even more boring...

I think Game of Thrones, 24, Homeland, Fringe, and Walking Dead are all MUCH better.

I like Breaking Bad better but it's really not that good IMO. Way overrated. Sopranos was even more boring...

I think Game of Thrones, 24, Homeland, Fringe, and Walking Dead are all MUCH better.

Definitely not season 3.

Walking Dead is going down hill quick

Seriously. S3 started good, but damn was the 2nd half boring. The prison arc was so much better in the comic. I don't want to sound like one of "those guys" who's married to the source material, but it's the truth.

Never watched sopranos either... I don't watch any mob stuff...

Breaking bad however is awesome!

^^Apart from the lack of an organized gang that the main character is a part of, Breaking Bad doesn't have much to remove it from being a mob show.

I find Tony Soprano to be infinitely more contemptible than Walter or Shane. You know what makes a greatest tv show ever? The fact that with full knowledge of Tony's character, I was still routing for him in the end. I looked forward to every time someone was going down on his orders, and even more so if it was by his own hand. Tony's hits were the highlight of the series for me. It was like watching a great white shark hunt.
I don't know that I agree. . .WW still has a ways to go, so we don't know what else he'll do, but he's had no qualms about doing stuff to innocent kids. To me, that's a real line in the sand, and moves him into territory where I can no longer really relate to or like the guy. Tony never had that perspective that I recall. And whereas Tony was a cold murderer at times, he usually did it to folks who deserved it on some level. They usually (if not always) made their own bed in some way. Not all of White's victims really deserved that.

But for whatever reason, I did still remain somewhat sympathetic to Tony throughout the Sopranos, whereas with Walter, I started actively disliking him in season 5. In fairness, I think that's what the creators want to happen, and it certainly isn't the only means by which I would judge either show. I still find Breaking Bad compelling television.

I love both shows dearly. But Sunday wasn't Sunday unless you watched the Sopranos. I only fault the poor story lines during the later seasons, I felt the show lost it's way.

unfair comparison with one show in the height of it's popularity and one that has ended some time ago.

on a happier note...just ordered the sopranos complete set from amazon for $96 shipped. how sweet it is.

unfair comparison with one show in the height of it's popularity and one that has ended some time ago.

on a happier note...just ordered the sopranos complete set from amazon for $96 shipped. how sweet it is.

That's a really good point, plus people are voting and they didn't even watch the Sopranos.

I am not caught up on BB yet...only up to season 4. I have to give the edge to The Sopranos. I find myself multitasking while watching BB whereas The Sopranos always had my full attention. I felt very entrenched into Tony's life. He ran the gambit of emotions in you...hate him, root for him, feel bad for him. It was great. The supporting characters had strong stories. Side stories made sense and usually had a, albeit usually small, bearing on the big picture. I don't feel emotionally attached to any of BB's characters. I don't think it makes it a bad show...I really enjoy it. I just give the edge to The Sopranos because I like feeling engrossed into a character's life and feel that is a great sign of amazing writing.

Back