SON OF A *****! HT ED-209 falling apart!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There where some issues with the HT Appleseed rubber suits in the beginning, there's a thread about that here somewhere. I wonder how the HT batman will cope... his suit is rubber. I asked the guys in the 'batman old suit' thread about this, but it looks as if no one really is interested in this subject at the moment. Might become interesting if the first batman's start to crumble. There was an earlier version released of this HT batman (limited to 1000 or 1200 I belive), and I haven't read anything about rubber problems for that figure so far.

Someone tell Pjam. He 'rubs the lotion' on his Aliens.

Thing is, Natrix said it's a climate controlled room with an air conditioner. Now air conditioners suck the moisture out of the air. Makes it very dry. The rubber is having all the moisture sucked out of it...so it becomes brittle and dry. You need to moisturize the rubber somehow. Even a wipe once in a while with a damp cloth.

Thanks for the heads up Guys, appreciated. :D

Well, natrix said this happened without the use of Armor All... so I don't know the cause of the Damage to Natrix's ED 209 per se. I have used armor all (actually STP) on my Aliens warrior and Drake arms and both seem to be fine.

I only use it when I box my figs up for storage, so I imagine there is no degradation happening in the box, out of sunlight, enclosed in plastic trays.

But I will be more careful and keep a closer watch for now on. :D

I have read some having deteriorating rubber problems on several different Hot Toys products. Perhaps an e-mail to HT customer service may get some satisfaction.

I have read some having deteriorating rubber problems on several different Hot Toys products. Perhaps an e-mail to HT customer service may get some satisfaction.

I wish, I've emailed Hot Toys tons of times, with a problem on a Robocop head and they never responded back! Hell I'm going to try and email them again this sec. I wish there was a number we could contact them at but then again who knows if the speak english. :monkey1

Quark! do you know where in this quadrant I can get a HT pred for some gold-pressed latinum?:confused:
goldbars.jpg

I'm going to be bloody paranoid now - I have to move house and my stuffs going to have to be put in storage - I can't vouch for what conditions my stuff is going to be kept in. If, when I can finally take it all back, I find that my predators require comb-overs, and my Aliens have spontaneously dissolved I'm going to be seriously upset. This stuff won't be available anymore even if I have the funds to replace it.

just checked mine. Its not breaking down per se but its begun peeling away from the edges. This sucks. Btw anyone know how or think its a good idea to get in touch with HT regarding this issue

Same here. Just pulled it out of the box to check and its slightly starting to peel from the edge at the top. :horror ...and this is from the box!!

What are you supposed to do? Maybe I'll just put in a hermetically sealed container and bury it under the house :rolleyes:

I wonder if there is some kind of permanent coating that will prevent the rubber from drying out.

Holy crap. Suddenly I'm worried about my new HT Dark Knight Original Suit figure. The suit is ALL rubber.

Just checked on my ED2009, and it's fine. Man, it's been since Dec. 2006 that I've laid eyes on my ED209! Good to see it in excellent shape, no rubber issue here.

Could the rubber issue come from touching it with bare hands? Maybe the skin tallow that get's on the rubber by touching it causes the rubber to disintegrate over time? Fingers can leave fatty acid stains. Even clean ones.
Reminds me of a fellow board member that uses "nose grease" to lubricate joints when he's assembling his predators I think. :lol

I have about 5 HT aliens still MIB. I'm scared to go look at them. I assumed that they would be ok in an air conditioned house. I figured that the rubber would eventually dry out, but not in a few months or even years. This sucks. Why do $5 toys from 1985 still not crumbling apart? You can find he-man figures that are thrown in someones garage and they still look normal. I think the he-man heads were rubber. and I just spend $200 on HT predalien:horror:horror:horror:horrorwhy why why???? aahhhhhh:horror:horror:horror

edit:
hemanfigure.jpg

When I was a kid, I had these heman figures thrown in a basket and didn't have to rub lotion on their heads!
This is how it goes, I guess. We now have these ultra realistic (and ridiculously priced) "toys" that you can't touch or move because the arms fall off or get loose. Then you go inspect them after a year and they are rotting apart! sorry for rant. this just pissed me off!

oh and this isnt just HT only. I have had dozens of figures from Mcfarlane and Neca that were broken once removed from their ties in the packaging.

But the torsos on Master of the Universe figures discolor.

All of these posts bring up the real issue here:

Do you have problems with ED? :lol

well it was a major design flaw from HT to choose rubber for the head on ED - talk about bad decisions...

I hope the dreads on the preds don't start rotting. :mad: Hopefully Hot Toys will send him a replacement part.

I wouldn't worry. Unlike most of the parts that seem to have real issues, the Predator dreads aren't stretched or load-bearing - so they should last longer.

Back