Statue Snow Troll Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's any consolation rarely if ever do SS products arrive on time. I'd say it's more likely we'll this in the 2nd qtr. and if not....you can always cancel your order. :dunno

Thanks Woodsy, I know that Sideshow is not always on time with their shipping, but I can't bank on that, and I was only 50/50 on this piece due to the fact that it wasn't from the movies. It is amazing looking, but I think I will see what Alter Ego will offer it for tomorrow when it hits their site. I love the sculpt, and the price is very affordable for the size of the piece (18x18x18!) but this might be where I put an artificial limit on my collecting, and stick to just the movie stuff. I am so glad you guys like it though, Andy and Sideshow did an amazing job, and I hope they have they bring it for a movie Cave Troll too!!

wtfscale02.jpg

Best use of a sig ever and so true!!!!:rotfl

is there going to be a EX? and why is the edition size not yet decided?

is there going to be a EX? and why is the edition size not yet decided?

no Ex, no NRD unless you order 2 or more, ES will probably be decided maybe a month or so from now. Also, other retailers will have this for a bit cheaper if you go that route. SS is still a good way to go, top notch customer service, reward points and the option to flexpay.

I ordered this, because there's no NRD. Still I'm trying to figure out if this will ever grow on me. The way SS is marketing this seems to be a loss leader -- not sure if it's to gauge interest in an EU line.

You would be incorrect then. As I said above what happened was a mix of reasons (examples used in previous post) and the ES went up. When it came time to ship mass cancellations would be made because the ES was higher than it should be thus having even more folks giving the axe, because they knew they could get it cheaper on ebay or whatever. This happened enough with other lines that they got the boot, SS was left with lots of left over stock, or if you ever HAD to sell you couldn't give it away.

I understood your example. The mindset that I don't understand is when people decide not to buy something at all (or get their panties in a bunch) because they find out the ES is high instead of super limited. The economics of limited edition collectibles is not lost on me, don't worry. :peace

Decided not to get it. It's a very nice piece, yes. But, it's not from the films...

Congrats to those who are getting it though.

:)

I understood your example. The mindset that I don't understand is when people decide not to buy something at all (or get their panties in a bunch) because they find out the ES is high instead of super limited. The economics of limited edition collectibles is not lost on me, don't worry. :peace

One goes with other to be honest. So you should get why people hold off ordering depending on the ES.

For those ordering just incase I do hope you keep your orders otherwise the ES will be higher than it should. SS probably should have ha an NRD on this to start.

One goes with other to be honest. So you should get why people hold off ordering depending on the ES.

Just to be clear (again), I DO get that. I'm talking about the people who COMPLAIN about high ES and/or pass up the statue entirely because of it. If a high ES only means they can obtain it more easily (and cheaper) elsewhere, I don't understand the resistance to high ES's. Unless they are indeed in it for the investment, rather than buying because they simply enjoy the piece.

Don't get me wrong, I've had to sell off collectibles to earn extra cash before and I know what a bummer it is when the value has plummetted, but I don't think I would ever justify purchasing a statue (or passing it up) based on whether or not I would be able to re-sell it later. But that's just me, because I don't buy collectibles with the investment mindset. I understand why high ES's can be painful for Sideshow (ie: overstock left in warehouse), but from the collectors point of view, a high ES is only a GOOD thing (for those not purchasing these as investments). So I guess I should rephrase my original comment... It's not that I don't "understand" people complaining about high ES's, I just differ from those collectors in my motivation for buying this stuff. No harm no foul, no offense intended. :wave

Just to be clear (again), I DO get that. I'm talking about the people who COMPLAIN about high ES and/or pass up the statue entirely because of it. If a high ES only means they can obtain it more easily (and cheaper) elsewhere, I don't understand the resistance to high ES's. Unless they are indeed in it for the investment, rather than buying because they simply enjoy the piece.

Don't bother you can explain it 10x to him, he won't get it. :lol

Last edited:

People complain about high ES because they don't want to see the value of their items drop thats usually a top reason. Then you have many others reasons some varying from they don't want to own something with a high es to a high es tells them they can wait and save a few bucks. The resistance is collectors want to own items especially something they care about knowing they have something limited representing that license they care about. Also knowing something if they need to sell they can make their money back is a key.

Don't get me wrong, I've had to sell off collectibles to earn extra cash before and I know what a bummer it is when the value has plummetted, but I don't think I would ever justify purchasing a statue (or passing it up) based on whether or not I would be able to re-sell it later. But that's just me, because I don't buy collectibles with the investment mindset. I understand why high ES's can be painful for Sideshow (ie: overstock left in warehouse), but from the collectors point of view, a high ES is only a GOOD thing (for those not purchasing these as investments). So I guess I should rephrase my original comment... It's not that I don't "understand" people complaining about high ES's, I just differ from those collectors in my motivation for buying this stuff. No harm no foul, no offense intended. :wave

Most people I don't think their first thought is investment but knowing that they can if they have to and still make money or break even is a plus. Bottom line high es aren't good for companies or collectors. It causes overstock for the companies and dead lines for us. Sure those pieces can be had cheap but it may be a limited set of pieces.

I think you have to keep in mind for some art collectors the rarity of an item is an important factor in their wanting it. They don't mind paying a premium, and they're not going to lose any sleep should it's value drop, but they simply like the idea of owning something very few people will ever own.

This is really no different than those who complain or pass on a statue because of scale, the company logo on the base, etc....I'm not big on allowing such self-imposed restrictions to dictate what I buy, or take away from the enjoyment of a particular collectible...but some do. :dunno

Last edited:
Back