Statue Snow Troll Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic looking Troll. Love the sculpt, detailing and pose.

Hate the Gimli in his grasp, though. Brings down the piece, in my opinion. If there was a way of removing Gimli, I would do it. Should have been a "Snow Dwarf" there instead, if you will. Not liking the Gimli sculpt, either. Gives it a toy-ish look.

You and I are feeling about the same here...if removable...that would seal the deal for me...I guess the Troll itself looks amazing...but the sculpt on the dwarf looks 'video game-ish' to me...for lack of a better term. Everything on the dwarf is sort of flat and smooth...no flowing clothing...no dynamics to it to match the troll.

Fantastic looking Troll. Love the sculpt, detailing and pose.

Hate the Gimli in his grasp, though. Brings down the piece, in my opinion. If there was a way of removing Gimli, I would do it. Should have been a "Snow Dwarf" there instead, if you will. Not liking the Gimli sculpt, either. Gives it a toy-ish look.

You're right, it looks nothing like Gimli, but since it's a generic Dwarf maybe it's a good thing he doesn't look like Gimli. :wink1:

You and I are feeling about the same here...if removable...that would seal the deal for me...I guess the Troll itself looks amazing...but the sculpt on the dwarf looks 'video game-ish' to me...for lack of a better term. Everything on the dwarf is sort of flat and smooth...no flowing clothing...no dynamics to it to match the troll.

No doubt Andy is a great sculptor though I'm sure even he would have a difficult time sculpting some flowing clothing when any fabric on the Dwarf's costuming is covered by the Troll's hand. And I'm not quite sure how you're going to accomplish a dynamic look with the Dwarf when he's all wrapped up like that. :confused:

Sorry to say, but remove the dwarf and I would likely order the Snow Troll. As it stands, I'll be saving my pennies for other releases in the maquette line proper.

Still pretty awesome looking troll there, just not for me. My opinion. :D

The dwarf doesn't bother me, the only reason I was concerned is because I originally wanted to maybe display it with the maquettes. But the more i think about it, I'm gonna most likely display it on it on it's own rather than try to crowd it with other statues.

No doubt Andy is a great sculptor though I'm sure even he would have a difficult time sculpting some flowing clothing when any fabric on the Dwarf's costuming is covered by the Troll's hand. And I'm not quite sure how you're going to accomplish a dynamic look with the Dwarf when he's all wrapped up like that. :confused:

Plus Andy may have not sculpted the dwarf, that job may have gone to a staffer and or second tier sculptor.. it's nor vial or anything and it may look better in person.

Plus Andy may have not sculpted the dwarf, that job may have gone to a staffer and or second tier sculptor.. it's nor vial or anything and it may look better in person.

Well that's true, often there are several sculptors working on these pieces, but I don't care how many people sculpted it, or how good they are.....it is impossible to have flowing clothing on a Dwarf when the only part of a Dwarf's armour that moves is his skirt...a skirt that just so happens to be wrapped up in a Troll's hand. Nor can I figure out how you can make a Drarf, whose getting the life squeezed out of him, look more dynamic....he's flailing his arms around, what on earth else is there for him to do? :slap

You know, I was doing OK on the whole "resolve" issue until the comparison shots to the original cave troll came up. Then it's almost like this piece became a "second chance" to own the original, with some nice enhancements.

You know, I was doing OK on the whole "resolve" issue until the comparison shots to the original cave troll came up. Then it's almost like this piece became a "second chance" to own the original, with some nice enhancements.

I'm sure that thought has crossed the minds of more than a few people. :lecture

Or you could always just pretend that this Snow Troll was the runt of the litter and he's holding a Dwarf afflicted with dwarfism. :lol

Now why didn't I think of that?....:slap :lol

You can lump me in the group that would prefer if the Dwarf was not there. I'm fine with the way the Dwarf looks and was done in the context it's being displayed, I just would prefer him not to be there. That being said, I'm still on the fence with regards to ordering it. If the dwarf wasn't there I think I would be in for sure.

I hope you guys get over this Dwarf discrimination before The Hobbit arrives. :wink1:

You're right, it looks nothing like Gimli, but since it's a generic Dwarf maybe it's a good thing he doesn't look like Gimli. :wink1:

:stick Wise-guy! :wink1:

Ok, so it's not "Gimli" but it's his younger brother who gets his clothes from the same tailor... :nana:

But in all seriousness, I would compare this piece to the Gandalf vs Balrog one, where the Balrog looks amazingly detailed and yet Gandalf was significantly less so. As mentioned above, in regards to the clothing, the detailing is softer, throughout. Not knocking the sculptors, though. I will say that Gimli looks more detailed than Gandalf does, in that regard.

You can lump me in the group that would prefer if the Dwarf was not there. I'm fine with the way the Dwarf looks and was done in the context it's being displayed, I just would prefer him not to be there. That being said, I'm still on the fence with regards to ordering it. If the dwarf wasn't there I think I would be in for sure.

In case you haven't noticed Frank you're always on the fence until about 3 weeks after something sells out. :lol

okay, for those of you that have seen this beast - how does it fit with the rest of the statues. Is it obvious they are all from the same set of stories, does he belong next to gandalf or legolas or is this a one-of piece; set it by itself to be appreciated.

The are two things that are turning me off, the dwarf needs to be polished up and not just an interpretation of Gimli and I don't like that it does not have a matching base as the others do. Small nitpicks, I know.

Those are the things making me happy, that I will be saving a bit of money by not ordering allowing me to grow the maquette line proper.

Back