Snake Plissken's Gentlemen's Club

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to simplify my belief of religion. Its a waste of time that could be better used constructively. Slowing us down is an excellent way of putting it, you put so much energy into the flying spaghetti monster and for what? To benefit yourself and show others youre a better person than them and you will be better off than them because you do things better. Religion seems more arrogant than anything. I dont need to know the error of my ways, i seriously dont, and i couldnt care less how much better your family is because you all were bullied by your imaginary friend. There it is, hate me. I also think it is insane that i would be told i am intolerant for not being compassionate for someone who believes in ghosts/imaginary friends but doesnt feel they need counseling. Its funny that scientology is frowned upon but other religions are sacred. Pfffffft.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

though I wil say idk about ghosts sometimes or just the afterlife but I digress

I'm orthodoxian to some point (not baptized) and it's all about what you take and what you give.
No one is forcin' it on me, I'm not forcin' it on anyone. Also, pretty much all my friends are agnostics or atheists. :lol
Just sayin'

s4i4k.jpg

she looks pretty fine until she takes the mask off. id make her wear makeup for the rest of her life if i was bound to that serpent.

Religion should never play a part in politics, ever. It pigeon holes too may issues into a archaic way of thinking. Neither side is 100% on anything... but the gun argument by the left is completely misguided and delusional.

Don't let yourself become like the UK. We banned handguns outright over here and made it nigh-impossible to legally obtain other firearms unless you're from the landowning elite and have a lifetime family membership with the local shooting club. The police actively search certain areas for anything that could be deemed an 'offensive weapon' and confiscate them - anything from kitchen knives to cricket bats to bicycle wheels. Once they successfully disarmed the country, successive governments both left and right-leaning slowly eroded civil liberties and the power of the people. It's now illegal to protest peacefully or hold marches or demonstrations in most cities (but especially London) unless you apply for permission. Saying anything bad about religions other than Christianity is now considered 'hate speech' and a criminal offense. The 'social justice' crowd currently have a stranglehold on our academic institutions and media. Holding views even slightly more moderate than theirs will see you publicly demonised as a bigot, racist, misogynist, Islamophobe, Nazi, etc. The internet is being policed and monitored on an unprecedented scale.

I truly despise what this country's become. I only hope that in next year's referendum we vote to leave the European Union, although the US government, Europe and our own left wing seem to have a vested interest in that not happening.

At any rate it's my firm intention to try and leave this country for good within the next five years, unless by some miracle things radically improve by then.

Don't let yourself become like the UK. We banned handguns outright over here and made it nigh-impossible to legally obtain other firearms unless you're from the landowning elite and have a lifetime family membership with the local shooting club. The police actively search certain areas for anything that could be deemed an 'offensive weapon' and confiscate them - anything from kitchen knives to cricket bats to bicycle wheels. Once they successfully disarmed the country, successive governments both left and right-leaning slowly eroded civil liberties and the power of the people. It's now illegal to protest peacefully or hold marches or demonstrations in most cities (but especially London) unless you apply for permission. Saying anything bad about religions other than Christianity is now considered 'hate speech' and a criminal offense. The 'social justice' crowd currently have a stranglehold on our academic institutions and media. Holding views even slightly more moderate than theirs will see you publicly demonised as a bigot, racist, misogynist, Islamophobe, Nazi, etc. The internet is being policed and monitored on an unprecedented scale.

I truly despise what this country's become. I only hope that in next year's referendum we vote to leave the European Union, although the US government, Europe and our own left wing seem to have a vested interest in that not happening.

At any rate it's my firm intention to try and leave this country for good within the next five years, unless by some miracle things radically improve by then.

Oh I didn't realize you were in the UK. it's really that bad, huh? Isn't there a lot of stabbings over there since there's no guns? I'll never understand completly banning them since if people want to kill someone, they're going to do it... they'll just choose a different weapon.

I seriously doubt guns will ever get completely banned in the US. But it's funny that the politicians trying to do this, all have armed to the teeth security...

:lol

Guns are part of the US identity. Historically, politically, and culturally. It's embedded.

For me, the notion of a higher state of being is comforting to me. Whether it's becoming one with the fabric of reality, or floating on a cloud with Hayley Atwell and Scarlett Johanssen, I'm game, but that's because non-existence terrifies me. I'd actually, possibly, prefer "hell" to non-existence, in that, as long as I was feeling pain, I'd at least know that I was still "me," but the idea that it just ends when we die is such an abstract one, for me.

What is it to end consciousness? Is it just an eternal sleep? Are you still cognizant of anything? I don't know. I guess I'm not supposed to know, but the idea of an afterlife is appealing to me. I'd say the best way to describe my beliefs is probably as "scientific with theistic leanings." In my mind, it's as egotistical to flat out deny that there is no power higher than homosapiens as it is to assume that, out of 6 billion people, and hundreds of different religions, your God is "the right one."

I tend to just treat people the way I want to be treated. Not out of any expectation of divine reward, but just out of common decency, and, if it turns out that there is something at the end of the line, all the better. By most religious standards, I'd surely be damned, but that's where organized religion just gets me, because it's so contradictory. They want you to buy into the notion that something is the beginning and the end of everything, and that this being created all of existence, and that's something that I don't necessarily disagree with, but then they assign this being the personality of the most petty individual you can think of.

In my mind, we are so infinitesimal to such a being that I cannot fundamentally understand how it would matter, on a cosmic scale, whether we curse like sailors, drink like fish, or **** like the dickens. I don't know.:lol That's my biggest problem with religion. At the same time, though, I don't really believe in Atheism, all that much, either, as I feel like the problem with basing everything purely on what we see is that there is so much we haven't seen, or can even begin to comprehend about existence, itself, and thus, it's like believing in an incomplete picture, but that's just me.

I feel like everyone should believe what they want to believe without infringing on the beliefs of others, and there's just so much judgement in organized religion that it isn't even funny. Yahweh, Allah, Buddha, Science; I don't care what you call it, just don't be a **** and we're good. I think that's where atheism kind of suffers from the same tunnel vision as religion, because you've got one side looking at the other like they're Godless heathens, and the other side looking at the other like they're superstitious simpletons.

Moral of the story: Be who you want to be, just not a **** to other people.

Personally, I find it impossible to ascribe to an atheistic belief system. It implies that everything that has ever existed, has only existed because of an infinitesimally small amount of chance, that it should've ever existed in the first place (that's a mouthful). On another note, my believe in God because didn't come about, because it was most logical thing to do. I've been using logic my entire life, especially with my studies in Engineering, and reading paramount texts on Philosophy. But, if I had to put it into the most simplest terms: Christ chose me and not the other way around.

The whole deal with religion is that you're supposed to work your way into heaven (or salvation), and hopefully, the amount of good works you do will negate all of your bad deeds in life. But, it's too unfortunate that the messages on grace are constantly drowned-out, by the more bombastic voices.

As for consciousness, the only way to describe it without religion, is through metaphysics. But, even metaphysics implies the existence of the human soul, and that consciousness extends beyond the physical realm of our understanding.

Oh I didn't realize you were in the UK. it's really that bad, huh? Isn't there a lot of stabbings over there since there's no guns? I'll never understand completly banning them since if people want to kill someone, they're going to do it... they'll just choose a different weapon.

I seriously doubt guns will ever get completely banned in the US. But it's funny that the politicians trying to do this, all have armed to the teeth security...

Here's my take: if they want to Americans to surrender their guns, let them follow by example and carry unarmed guards.

Within 5 years you want to leave, eh?
Where would you go?

I haven't decided yet. I've got three years of Japanese language study under my belt (which I really need to start revising) but no actual degree to show for it. I was considering Japan because on balance there's enough about the place that I like to balance out what I don't like and it seems to be mercifully immune to the wave of repressive tolerance sweeping the West. Hong Kong was another place I considered, but it doesn't seem like a good option long-term as the mainland government seem determined to retake control once the 50-year agreement for independent rule comes to an end. There's parts of Europe I'd consider but really I want to get as far away from the EU as possible.

I might have to look into putting the money aside for an Open University degree in something like international business law, because most countries won't even consider granting you a long-term visa, let alone citizenship, without higher education qualifications. Conversely, the UK will let just about anybody in and give them a free ride with benefits and state-supplied housing for the duration of their natural lives.

Westminister in London is guarded by police with assault rifles 24/7. If I happened to have a camping knife with a locking blade over 3" in length I'd absent-mindedly left in my messenger bag, I could be arrested and gain a criminal record for my troubles.

It's always funny to me when American talking heads point to the UK as a sterling example of why gun-grabbing is a good thing due to our proportionally lower incidence of gun crime. What they always fail to mention is that as soon as every registered handgun in this country had been seized and melted down we almost immediately had a thriving black market in custom-made or illegally-imported guns spring up - and now knife crime/knife-related deaths per 100,000 people are proportionally not only higher than the US numbers, they're also proportionally higher than US gun crime/gun-related deaths too.

What these lobbyists can't seem to get their heads around is that if some fruit loop decides they're going to try and kill a roomful of people, they'll use whatever they can get their hands on to do it - make all the guns and knives illegal and they'd probably just garrotte people with piano wire. It's not a matter of controlling guns, it's a matter of addressing the hard issues of what exactly breeds these broken, murderous sociopaths in your society - and no amount of scapegoating masculinity, violent media or gun ownership is going to fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back