Smallville Season 10: The Final Season (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy with the ending as well... I found the last 10mins to be more of a pay off than the wait between Superman movies and getting Superman Returns, which was in my opinion nothing more or less than a missed opportunity for something great... I was literally sweating with excitement and had to change my T-Shirt after watching the finale.

I do agree that is was a let down that we did get a full one shot of Tow Welling in tights... But I do think that the SR costume might not have fit welling and WB might not have wanted it altered for authenticity reasons. Also, Tom Welling only took the role after he was told he never have to wear the suit. So what we got was good... We got a plane crash saving and a planet shifting space shot... I do wish they gave him the 'S' curl... And a flying of the roof shot after the shirt rip!

Having said that, I also thought the CGI was extremely good for a CW channel TV show... I also suspect it was the Brandon Routh Avatar that was used with the less detail Welling Avatar's head attached to it...

So why exactly did Lois and Clark decide to wait 7 years before they got married again and pretend that they didn't know eachother for all that time?

Why do some people stay together 5 or 10 years, before one proposes to the other? It happens all of the time. They'll wait until the time is right. Why is it unbelievable to think seven more years was needed?

As for "pretending they didn't know each other," that was an act, evident when Lois said: "Can it, Clark. Nobody's even paying attention." (referring to his 'Ms. Lane' comment.) That's part of the whole Clark Kent persona.

It unbelievable becuase they had been ready to get married that morning and were 3/4 of the way through the ceremony. Why would they suddenly decide that they needed the better part of a decade before they tried again?

And why is Lois and Clark not knowing eachother part of the Clark Kent persona? How exactly is it neccessary? They work together, people have seen them together before, and odds are people there know that they are engaged. If they suddenly started acting like strangers it would be wierd. Especially if they kept up the act when they work together everyday for years, up to the day that they suddenly come to work married to eachother.

It unbelievable becuase they had been ready to get married that morning and were 3/4 of the way through the ceremony. Why would they suddenly decide that they needed the better part of a decade before they tried again?

And why is Lois and Clark not knowing eachother part of the Clark Kent persona? How exactly is it neccessary? They work together, people have seen them together before, and odds are people there know that they are engaged. If they suddenly started acting like strangers it would be wierd. Especially if they kept up the act when they work together everyday for years, up to the day that they suddenly come to work married to eachother.

I definitely see your point, but that's not how I interpreted. I think if they were married, I would expect to see more an outwardly affectionate relationship in the workplace (just as you said), but for where they were at in their relationship, it worked for me.

IMO a much better plotline would have been Lex in a final and quick act of revenge before he forgets Clark, smears a piece of paper with the neurotoxin Clark used on him and mails it to Lois. When she recieves it she touches it and forgets all about Clark, and he has to spend the next 7 years winning her back; the same way it took him 7 years the first time.

So why exactly did Lois and Clark decide to wait 7 years before they got married again and pretend that they didn't know eachother for all that time?

To line up with the Mythos. In the comics they got engaged in 1990 and didn't actually get married until 1996 (7 years). In the mythos they had to deal with 3 different crossovers which all involved Superman making him busy and unable to get married and then of course in 1993 he died. He returns only to deal with the Emerald Twilight (1994) as well as Zero Hour (1994) and then they both break-up for a year. Finally getting married in 1996 after the Final Night crossover.

In the series one could simply give it to the fact that he takes his role as Superman becoming the hero he was meant to be, making him especially busy and that he gets married when he can only of course to be interrupted on his wedding day. Think to the Superman 1978 film franchise, he becomes Metropolis' hero but continues to be the world's hero throughout the franchise, even with all the heroes about the coming of Superman would make him busy.

So in 7 years he didn't have a spare hour? Clark even said in this episode that he has to draw the line with saving people somewhere, and he can take some personal time for himself on important occasions such as this.
Making it line up with mythos resulted in a confusing and unexplained plot element within the show that made zero sense.

Its made even more confusing by the fact that even when they do decide to get married they still pretend not to know eachother on thier wedding day.

Given the brief glimpse from Brainiac 5's future and Booster's messages, he didn't not just because he was Superman but because Lois was world famous. It wouldn't be out of character for them to be so busy that it took 7 years to get married since both put career orientated, different careers but still. As for the pretending not to know each other, watching again if you can, what she is referring to is the bumbling, clumsy act. He says "I'm sorry Miss Lane" (a nod to the past Supermen who referred to her as Miss Lane) as he picks up her papers and she says that no one is watching indicating the need for the act.

Given the brief glimpse from Brainiac 5's future and Booster's messages, he didn't not just because he was Superman but because Lois was world famous. It wouldn't be out of character for them to be so busy that it took 7 years to get married since both put career orientated, different careers but still. As for the pretending not to know each other, watching again if you can, what she is referring to is the bumbling, clumsy act. He says "I'm sorry Miss Lane" (a nod to the past Supermen who referred to her as Miss Lane) as he picks up her papers and she says that no one is watching indicating the need for the act.

QFT :goodpost:

Even the most career oriented people have a spare day here or there within the span of the decade. I find it hard to believe they literally could not find a single day in 7 years to get married.

It still makes no sense for him to reffer to her as Ms. Lane. And suddenly starting the bumbling clumsy act would be wierd if people knew him before hand without it.

Looking at your string of posts you obviously didn't like the finale and aren't really looking for clarification just to knitpick. There is a suspension of disbelief that you need to adhere to with any property and literally you are expecting too much. People were working with Clark earlier in the season and then he put on the glasses and bumbled about and they bought it. It takes more than a day to plan a wedding especially considering how busy they were. If that doesn't satisfy then let's be honest nothing will because you don't want it to.

Looking at your string of posts you obviously didn't like the finale and aren't really looking for clarification just to knitpick. There is a suspension of disbelief that you need to adhere to with any property and literally you are expecting too much. People were working with Clark earlier in the season and then he put on the glasses and bumbled about and they bought it. It takes more than a day to plan a wedding especially considering how busy they were. If that doesn't satisfy then let's be honest nothing will because you don't want it to.

:goodpost:

I agree... I was annoyed at how long it took for the glasses to be added to this continuity... Back they did it and it was done. So that's it. But like you said Superman is all about a Suspension of disbelief and that was one of those times where we had to really suspense it! haha :lol

That's the thing, Reeve is Superman for a lot of folks. Welling never was, 3 minutes of a finale won't undo 9 years + of Superman in the form of Christopher Reeve. In my mind right now Welling is Clark, Reeve is Superman and Durance is Lois. Whether or not Snyder and co can change that we'll see but after 10 years Welling definitely earned being Clark IMHO.

Reeve is Superman for a lot of us and Routh was just a Reeve look-alike really (as was Welling sort of). But with Cavill he has more of a comicbook Superman look and it's quite a departure from how we've seen Superman in live action since Kirk Allyn really.

I also loved Hatcher, but love Durance more - and I'm afraid Adams will try and do a '40s damsel in distress like Lois in the Fleischer cartoons. That's just how I see her. Hopefully she and Snyder will be able to change that perception for me.

Reeve is Superman for a lot of us and Routh was just a Reeve look-alike really (as was Welling sort of). But with Cavill he has more of a comicbook Superman look and it's quite a departure from how we've seen Superman in live action since Kirk Allyn really.

I also loved Hatcher, but love Durance more - and I'm afraid Adams will try and do a '40s damsel in distress like Lois in the Fleischer cartoons. That's just how I see her. Hopefully she and Snyder will be able to change that perception for me.

Or a foul mouthed bar tender Lois!!! haha...

I think and posted in the Man of Steel thread, how happy I am about Cavill's casting. He has a very contemporary Superman face! He looks a lot like Dan Jurgan's Superman.

I cannot wait for the new film and some images to come out of production!

But Teri Hatcher's Lois is still the version to beat in my opinion...

No, im really trying to understand why they acted in a way which defies all logic. There is suspension of disbelief, and then there is just something so illogical it becomes confusing.
People much more important and busy than reporters somehow find time to get married, so the idea that "oh, they were busy for the entirety 7 years" isnt credible enough to even reason.

Thier lives didn't seem all that busy when the series ended. Why didn't they just get married the next day or week? Everything was already paid for and everyone was there.

Cavill was fantastic casting. The cover of Entertainment Weekly with him and a Superman shirt looks more Superman like than Routh ever did and more than I think Welling would. I will argue and say he looks more like Superman than Reeve did. The actor is perfect and he has acting chops but just like Returns I have a feeling the film will suffer from a weak Lois. Durance IS Lois in every sense to me and she won't be topped by Adams. That was really ____ casting in a string of very good and strong choices, she is just a name to balance out Cavill. It's like Lively's casting as Carol Ferris, nothing that Lively ever has done says Carol to me which for all intents and purposes is Hal's Lois since she is a ball buster as well and I think she was cast because she was a name to try and nab the younger demographic.

No, im really trying to understand why they acted in a way which defies all logic. There is suspension of disbelief, and then there is just something so illogical it becomes confusing.
People much more important and busy than reporters somehow find time to get married, so the idea that "oh, they were busy for the entirety 7 years" isnt credible enough to even reason.

Thier lives didn't seem all that busy when the series ended. Why didn't they just get married the next day or week? Everything was already paid for and everyone was there.
IT'S A FREAKEN TV SHOW ABOUT AN ALIEN WHO FLIES AROUND IN HIS UNDERWEAR SAVING PEOPLE! :horror LET IT GO!!!

DO you guys think well get any Smallville High End Collectables in the future!?

Im looking for a TW likeness Superman Statue, Sculpture anything, it can be custom. My dream is for DC to commision hot toys to do a TW Smallville Clark Kent Figure, With the Red Jacket, Black Costume or even in the Daily planet clothes displaying a shirt rip! OR DC 1/6 13" Figures.

Ill take anything, do u guys think collectables will come?

IT'S A FREAKEN TV SHOW ABOUT AN ALIEN WHO FLIES AROUND IN HIS UNDERWEAR SAVING PEOPLE! :horror LET IT GO!!!
Dude, obviously everyone here cares about it, or else we wouldn't be here in the first place.
I coul apply that logic to any time you talk about a movie or tv show. Hell, everytime you complain about one of your predator figres not being up to par I can tell you its just a toy.

No reason for you to be a complete _______ .

I have a feeling we will see Adams reprise her role of Amelia Earhart, where I'd hope she would be more like Rosalind Russell from His Girl Friday. She does have one thing going for her that the Kate Bosworth and Hatcher didn't have, she's a better actress, which should help.

I think Durance by far is my favorite Lois and I'll be shot for saying but as much as I love Reeve, I can't watch any of the old Superman's other than the 1st, they just don't hold up well anymore, even the first one show's signs of badly aging to me. I hope Cavill really takes over the role for a new generation of Superman.

Evan

Back