SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artists getting shortchanged pisses me the hell off. People who complain about prices and such have to realize that :

a) This stuff takes TALENT. You're hiring them because YOU CAN'T DO IT. You want it? pay for it.
b) TIME. If it looks good it's because TIME was put into it. Often times time is not abundant. These guys have jobs, lives. Their time is precious. Sometimes the time becomes worth more than the money they'd gain from their services and it becomes about the love for the medium. In those cases bagging on them about fees, rates and timing only serves as a piss off really...

Just went back and read everything. Sorry to hear this is going on. It sucks but there will always be someone like this you eventually have to deal with from time to time. The old saying is true... "can't please everyone". :dunno

As do I :rotfl

I think it’s really great that Nathan gives out his advice freely to help us learners out.
With his work being the bar for most people (including myself) I’m am surprised he is not secretive about his methods.

There are some tricks I've figured out for myself that I'm more likely to keep to myself, but lots of the tricks I use I picked up from other artists along thw way, either because they told me directly or because I saw it in a magazine or video somewhere. Since I picked up so many tricks from others, it only seems right to pass some on. Paying it forward, if you will. Where would I be without all the stuff I've learned. It's a good feeling to gift that out to you guys.

I agree with Pete on this buddy. Its so annoying its un true. I bet just like Pete and yourself we actually really under charge people for our paint work. But if we charge hoe much we should get paid we would get laughed at, not to mention how much work we would lose :(

As an observer of custom work; the natural progression is that as work improves so does the cost. I think one of the things that really set up some of the earlier guys for failure was charging too little ($35 or so) for a repaint and taking any and all work.

I certainly think its fair (and even wise) to begin charging more for you work as you become more established, in demand and proficient.

And even though you may loose some clients, you will retain others and gain more but the business side of it should remain healthy.

:exactly: A friend of mine told me a story about a watch maker who was one of the best at what he did. He started to get a lot of work, and he raised his prices in the hope of lessening the number of clients, but maintaining his income. However, the raised prices actually raised people's opinion of the watch maker, and his number of clients actually increased because his reputation and price built confidence in his quality.

Why is it, every so often some ____ tries to hate the silentsurfer lol!! Its really not fair dudes, once again im feeling sorry for you Nate! We all really appreciate you on this forum and admire your work mate. Just dont let annoying people waste your time and get to you, they are just complete ballbags!

Just went back and read everything. Sorry to hear this is going on. It sucks but there will always be someone like this you eventually have to deal with from time to time. The old saying is true... "can't please everyone". :dunno

And the sad thing is, the Freak (who will remain nameless) does know my reputation very well. We actually worked on a project in the past with some others (not including Mystery Client X), and it was fun. Granted money wasn't involved that time though.

And even sadder, I would totally be promoting the hell out of this project (which will remain nameless)for them because it was sculpted by one of the best sculptors (who will remain nameless only because he is attached to the project which will remain nameless) and it has my paint on it. The project (which will remain nameless) is probably going to be friggin' amazing, from what little I know about it, and it was my intent to drive up curiosity and interest in it like I do with Sideshow projects.

But instead, the Freak (who will remain nameless) and Mystery Client X decided to act like arrogant, bitter, cheap, paranoid jerks, and this is all the promotion they'll get out of me now, and the project will forever remain nameless in connection to this issue.

Hit the dog once and it will probably be confused. Hit the dog twice and it will learn to not like you. Hit the dog a third time, and it bites back.

Let's right this ship, shall we?

ONWARD!

small_onward%20falcor.jpg

Scarpredatorfan123; please take the many, many hints and stop posting in Nathan's thread. You have been asked kindly and given his reaction to your earlier post you will not be commissioning any work from him.

Move on.

There are some tricks I've figured out for myself that I'm more likely to keep to myself, but lots of the tricks I use I picked up from other artists along thw way, either because they told me directly or because I saw it in a magazine or video somewhere. Since I picked up so many tricks from others, it only seems right to pass some on. Paying it forward, if you will. Where would I be without all the stuff I've learned. It's a good feeling to gift that out to you guys.

:exactly: A friend of mine told me a story about a watch maker who was one of the best at what he did. He started to get a lot of work, and he raised his prices in the hope of lessening the number of clients, but maintaining his income. However, the raised prices actually raised people's opinion of the watch maker, and his number of clients actually increased because his reputation and price built confidence in his quality.

In the words of the Joker...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMnAUGFuG0[/ame]

Not bad advice. But I have no problem sharing what was freely shared with me. I got a boost here and there. Who knows who the next great painter will be. It might be somebody I gave a tip to once.

:) I was just referring to the painting/talent part. Information can be gained freely (and in your case generously given) but talent is something you must posses. And when you have it people will pay for it. If they complain - it's often time because of jealousy.

Back