SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, if you think I'm talking about YOU, I'm totally not. I'm talking about some other Freak (who will remain nameless) and some other Mystery Client X. I paint for multiple companies and Freaks you know...:nana:

Whew! Oh, thank goodness. It can't be me! I have a name! It's on my driver's license and everything!

:yess:

Irony is the spice of life. Really though, I think the point was more to vent than to prove a point.

That said, if they want to call me out for something I didn't do, I'm going to not do it even more.

Are you Mystery Client X?

Here's a little free tip. I always leave a bit of brown in my leather, even if it's supposed to be black. And then I go over it with translucent black so that it looks like it plays with light like my skin effects do. And I finish it with a semi-gloss coat.

Believe me, I am storing these tips. The figure I'm working on now was primed with your fave Army Painter primer, so close to what the final flesh tone should be it's ridiculous. Now I get to see how transparent layers work over a base that's already nearly as dark as the new layers, and I'll find out first hand what it means to try to achieve depth in flesh tones.

Hey, other than unscrewing both covers from the tip, any advice for how to get a nice even spatter from an Iwata? I've got to layer a few dozen shades of grey for a pebbly woven look...

:hi5:

Irony is the spice of life. Really though, I think the point was more to vent than to prove a point.

That said, if they want to call me out for something I didn't do, I'm going to not do it even more.

Are you Mystery Client X?

nope. I attempted to get you to paint an item one time, and being the consummate professional you are, you said you would get back to me on the special day of the month you set aside for taking commissions. That was January I think :stick

Believe me, I am storing these tips. The figure I'm working on now was primed with your fave Army Painter primer, so close to what the final flesh tone should be it's ridiculous. Now I get to see how transparent layers work over a base that's already nearly as dark as the new layers, and I'll find out first hand what it means to try to achieve depth in flesh tones.

Hey, other than unscrewing both covers from the tip, any advice for how to get a nice even spatter from an Iwata? I've got to layer a few dozen shades of grey for a pebbly woven look...

:hi5:

One way to get an even spatter is to turn the air pressure on your compressor way down. The lower the pressure, the larger the droplets of paint. You probably won't get drops that are very big, but it will create a nice texture. Play with it.

For slightly more random spatter, I pull the airbrush lever back without releasing air to allow a drop of paint to collect on the needle, and then release the lever. Then I blast it off with a quick release of air at normal strength. This scatters the drop into droplets. You can localize where it lands be getting closer or farther from the target, but you can't really control the pattern or size of the individual drops this way.

A combination of both techniques might serve well though.

You can also go old-school and put paint on a stiff brush and drag your thumb across it, letting the bristles flick paint onto the surface. You sort of end up with the same effect as the second trick though.

nope. I attempted to get you to paint an item one time, and being the consummate professional you are, you said you would get back to me on the special day of the month you set aside for taking commissions. That was January I think :stick

I guess it's my day in the barrel for being called out on my professionalism. :(

When you're a Freak, everything you do is good. When you're a pro, everything you do is wrong. I wonder if my time here is coming to an end.

I guess it's my day in the barrel for being called out on my professionalism. :(

When you're a Freak, everything you do is good. When you're a pro, everything you do is wrong. I wonder if my time here is coming to an end.

na, the only reason I noticed your rant is because I subscribed to your thread to see all your great work. Your professional work as an artist is not in question, but I couldn't help but poke at the irony of the diatribe.

Diatribe. Good word for it, yeah.

:lol I didn't know you could subscribe to a thread. Now I kinda feel like a newb. That explains a few things though.

Yeah, just click "thread tools" at the top of a thread and it gives you the option to subscribe to a thread.

Believe me, I am storing these tips.

As do I :rotfl

I think it’s really great that Nathan gives out his advice freely to help us learners out.
With his work being the bar for most people (including myself) I’m am surprised he is not secretive about his methods.

Don’t worry about that guy Nathan you are firmly established as one of the best and most professional in the business and this will not have an impact on that.
If anything we just think this guy is a big jack a$$.

Last edited:
I agree with Pete on this buddy. Its so annoying its un true. I bet just like Pete and yourself we actually really under charge people for our paint work. But if we charge hoe much we should get paid we would get laughed at, not to mention how much work we would lose :(

As an observer of custom work; the natural progression is that as work improves so does the cost. I think one of the things that really set up some of the earlier guys for failure was charging too little ($35 or so) for a repaint and taking any and all work.

I certainly think its fair (and even wise) to begin charging more for you work as you become more established, in demand and proficient.

And even though you may loose some clients, you will retain others and gain more but the business side of it should remain healthy.

Why is it, every so often some ____ tries to hate the silentsurfer lol!! Its really not fair dudes, once again im feeling sorry for you Nate! We all really appreciate you on this forum and admire your work mate. Just dont let annoying people waste your time and get to you, they are just complete ballbags!

Why is it, every so often some ____ tries to hate the silentsurfer lol!! Its really not fair dudes, once again im feeling sorry for you Nate! We all really appreciate you on this forum and admire your work mate. Just dont let annoying people waste your time and get to you, they are just complete ballbags!

:goodpost::exactly:

Back