SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, wow, I didn't know they revealed that yet. Yep, he's the last one I did. I didn't paint the head though, oddly. That must have come after they got rid of me. Head looks great though.

05-08-2012-ganch160.jpg

05-08-2012-ganch600.jpg

I had a project (that I cannot at this time mention) come up last week that presented a perfect opportunity for me to jump into my Way-Back Machine to dig out an old model kit I had that Trevor Grove sculpted. I never did get around to painting it, but since the afore(not)mentioned project was very similar, I decided now was the time. Except for the logo plaque it comes with, I just finished my 1/6 Franky Cook from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow bust.

What do you think?

FrankyCook2.jpg

FrankyCookRightSide.jpg

FrankyCookBack.jpg

FrankyCookProfile.jpg

FrankyCookDownClose.jpg

FrankyCookCloseUp.jpg

Last edited:
I use to have that same kit. I sold it long before I had a chance to paint it. I remember following Trevor when he was trying to get this thing sculpted, casted, and brought to life. I believe before he started working for Sideshow. It's a great bust. Nice job on the paint Nathan.

Last edited:
Wow, I love Sky Captain! Underrated movie IMO. You nailed that paint Nathan! I'm guessing your unmentionable piece is a related certain witch...

I think Trev was a teenager when he sculpted that. It's remarkable, particularly the profile.

Your vein work and skin layering is getting to be spooky, and the finish on the uniform looks just like leather. Now that I'm beginning to play more with paint myself, I have an even greater appreciation for what used to seem like simple things...;)

This is stunning. I've seen the raw sculpt, but never painted...absolutely beautiful.

Trevor is living proof that some people are just blessed with God given gifts. The mastery he has over so many forms of art at his age...to think that he was a teenager when is sculpted that is mind-boggling.

Yeah that kid's a genius.

Thanks guys.

Wow, I love Sky Captain! Underrated movie IMO. You nailed that paint Nathan! I'm guessing your unmentionable piece is a related certain witch...

It took me a second to realize what you meant, and then I remembered reading just yesterday about Jolie playing Maleficent.

angelina-jolie-maleficent.jpg

Unfortunately, that's not what I was refering to, but now that I work with Disney, that may still be a reality down the road.

What I was refering to, I'm told, will be revealed later this month.

Now that I'm beginning to play more with paint myself, I have an even greater appreciation for what used to seem like simple things...;)

Doing it really does give you perspective doesn't it? And it's funny to me that people are sometimes more impressed with less than perfect work when they can see the "effort" that went into it, yet people sometimes don't seem impressed at all with a perfectly finished piece cause they can't recognize or imagine the work that went into it, like they think it must have been bought in a store, and all things from stores are magically crisp and clean without artist involvement.:lol

the finish on the uniform looks just like leather.

Here's a little free tip. I always leave a bit of brown in my leather, even if it's supposed to be black. And then I go over it with translucent black so that it looks like it plays with light like my skin effects do. And I finish it with a semi-gloss coat.

Her chest panel is supposed to be suede, but I couldn't get the paint to matte out enough to simulate that. I may have to go over it later with some sort of powder pigments. I haven't used those yet though, so it's a scary thought to experiment on an already finished piece.

Unfortunately, that's not what I was refering to, but now that I work with Disney, that may still be a reality down the road.

What I was refering to, I'm told, will be revealed later this month

Hmm, makes me wonder what other Jolie pieces could be in the works...

My interest is piqued. :panic:

Now I'm more confused. I'm Jonesing about something else you're currently working on though. :lol

Back