SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally understand the concern over prototype vs production quality, and as a collector I can empathize. I certainly appreciate the enthusiasm over the subject. Heck, if it weren't for that difference I never would have started customizing only to eventually end up as a prototype painter myself. But when you understand that it's really the difference between an artist's passion vs a factory employee or machine, you start to accept it for what it is.

I'll tell you this, too. Sideshow's design team members pay regular visits to China now, and the production quality is getting much, much closer to the prototypes. I am personally extremely impressed with the way the Gandalf the Grey PF production quality came out. I had to buy it because it looked so good. I wouldn't dream of repainting that one. It's amazing. I've also seen prototypes next to production samples lately, and I honestly have to ask which is which sometimes.

My only issue with the paint (and my only problem with the figure) is the beard. I wish it had more depth. With ambient light only it is all the same color grey with the exception of the hair right on the face. With overhead light it is better, but only because of the shadows.

This one was a little tricky because I haven't done too many black protraits (this is only the fourth after Mace Windu, Jules, and Zoe) and the movie was so washed out because the atmosphere is supposed to be different post-rapture. So I went with something between real Denzel and screen Eli.

Eli - sculpted by Sunohc

Eli01.jpg

And if you catch the light just right, you can see that his eyes even have a bit of that cataract look you only see at the very end of the movie when you learn that he is partially blind from the "Big Flash" as he recites the Bible by memory starting with Genesis 1:1.

Eli02.jpg

Great paint job!

But holy crap! Spoiler alert! :panic:

I just watched Eli for the first time on Saturday! So glad you didn't post that till now! :thud:

Unfortunately, I'm not the caster. I bought the white resin kit and painted it, and then I found the translucent green one.

Besides, I don't generally recast other people's work without permisson from the sculptor, and I have no idea who made this.

That he is!! He looks awesome Nathan. I hope they use him in the long rumored part 3.

If so, I hope they use him better than they did in part 2's cameo.

Nate that Denzel and Slimer are legendary!!! Sorry I haven't gotten back to you with the spartacus pics. Just wanted to wait till I had the $$$ in hand before I hit you up since I know your real busy.

No worries (and no hurry). Thanks for the legendary comment.:wink1:

My only issue with the paint (and my only problem with the figure) is the beard. I wish it had more depth. With ambient light only it is all the same color grey with the exception of the hair right on the face. With overhead light it is better, but only because of the shadows.

Facial hair is neither easy to sculpt, I'm sure, nor to paint effectively.

Great paint job!

But holy crap! Spoiler alert! :panic:

I just watched Eli for the first time on Saturday! So glad you didn't post that till now! :thud:

:lolOpps! Sorry about that. It never occured to me that I might have created a spoiler for folks who haven't witnessed Eli yet.

No worries (and no hurry). Thanks for the legendary comment.:wink1:

Facial hair is neither easy to sculpt, I'm sure, nor to paint effectively.

I have mo problem with the sculpt on Gandalf's beard, I just wish there was more depth and highlights in the beard.

:lolOpps! Sorry about that. It never occured to me that I might have created a spoiler for folks who haven't witnessed Eli yet.

No worries, just glad I saw it in time, because the ending was incredibly awesome, and I totally wasn't expecting the twist! :rock

Unfortunately, I'm not the caster. I bought the white resin kit and painted it, and then I found the translucent green one.

Ah. I misunderstood. I thought you recasted it in the translucent green. Didn't mean to imply you'd recast someone else's work. Figured it was no longer available and you put your own slant on it. Regardless, will be watching that auction. Awesome paint-up btw.

Well, ever since I saw Felmar’s ¼ scale full body Aliens Queen, I’ve been her slave. I must have one, but she ain’t cheap. I will be paying royally for her, so I looked around for stuff to eBay. I recently saw a Hot Toys Elder go for $800 and decided to see what my much more screen accurate custom Elder might fetch. I’m sure it won’t pay for the Queen entirely, but it could get me well on the way. If you’re interested, here’s the link:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330508964614&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Here’s new pics I took of him for the auction. I figured I’d add them to my customs thread while I’m at it.

AuctionPic-1.jpg

SilentSurfersElder.jpg

CannonArticulation-1.jpg

FaceCloseUp-1.jpg

FaceCloseUp2-1.jpg

P1Benefits.jpg

GauntletHousings-1.jpg

Thanks! It'd be nice if it paid for at least half that Queen.

If anybody wants to buy it off me outside of eBay, I'm down for saving the fees to eBay and Paypal, for sure.:wink1:

-"Billy! What the hell's the matter with you?"

-"There's something in those trees."

Also on the chopping block... I mean, Auction block is my custom Billy Sole with repainted head and regular hands since he didn't wear his gloves after taking off his long sleeve shirt. I've posted older, crappy pics of him before, but these are better.

"I guess it's nothing, Major."

BillySole5.jpg

BillySole1-1.jpg

BillySole2-1.jpg

BillySole3.jpg

BillySole4.jpg

If you're interested, here's a link to the auction:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330508983549&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Hi Nathan,

I'm very interesting in billy sole, tell me how much you are willing to sell it, i wanna buy it off from ebay, that way you can save a few more bucks and pass the saving on me :)

Let me know soon!

-"Billy! What the hell's the matter with you?"

-"There's something in those trees."

Also on the chopping block... I mean, Auction block is my custom Billy Sole with repainted head and regular hands since he didn't wear his gloves after taking off his long sleeve shirt. I've posted older, crappy pics of him before, but these are better.

"I guess it's nothing, Major."

BillySole5.jpg

BillySole1-1.jpg

BillySole2-1.jpg

BillySole3.jpg

BillySole4.jpg

If you're interested, here's a link to the auction:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330508983549&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Great pose on the alien Nathan, how did you customize it? I want to copy that pose!

I removed the rubber tendon in the back of the knee, and then forced the knee joint until is broke. Be careful not to let the rubber knee sleeve come all the way out, or it might be a pain to get back in. I also Dremeled down the back of the knee area until the two parts of the leg met flush. Then I glued it together with a brass rod for reinforcement. The mod is a permanent pose for the legs, but the hips and feet still move as well as the rest of the articulation.

Finally did my own Indiana Jones repaint. Actually, he belongs to my aunt, and I repainted him for her for Christmas.

IndianaJones01.jpg

More pics coming soon.

Back