SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, we're all glad you decided to do it! The wait to see how this custom worked out was worth it. Congrats, man. Hell of a piece.

:clap

Congrats, man.
it will be kept forever, even if HT once produces P2 on new bodies made for Rodrigators. i think i'll never get something this nice in my hands.

that looks like an actual suit
if you look at body without netting, you can see blue veins on chest and biceps. exactly like Winston's suits had.

It's praise like that that keeps me raising my own bar. Thanks guys. I'm pumped to keep going now, like fuel on my fire.

Blade3327 said:
They look very crisp and professional

That's why I paint for Sideshow now.:yess:

...please, please check all the box and its parts again! closed mouth was attached to head, and opened was separate, could be lost between the plastic parts of the box, together with the netting by the way. you see, i made holes in that part to put predator legs and hands in them - and mandibles could fall inside.

by the way, taking this into consideration, could you please pack all other mandibles better than i did so stupidly? into some kind of little box - from matches, for example.

My wife did a hell of nice packing job already, each mandible packed separately and everything. Speaking of mandibles, found the other two under the friggin' helmet in the parts tray. Damn it! Just finished painting those for you. I'll post a couple pics of P1's new mouth soon.

if you look at body without netting, you can see blue veins on chest and biceps. exactly like Winston's suits had.

Look close and you can see veins in his cheeks also. Not his butt cheeks; his mandible cheeks.
HeadPaintComparison.jpg

i also would like to mention a massive improvement of SilentSurfer's painting abilities:

FaceLeft4.jpg

Mouth.jpg

now i'm even happy that my turn came so late.
during the waiting period SilentSurfer, while working on other projects, raised his skills to an absolutely new level.

Nice backhanded compliment there, P.

Translation: "He paints awesome now, not like the crap he used to do. Sure glad I waited til he got better.":slap

Anyway, here's your P1 mouth repaint. Seven different colors to repaint such a small area.
7colors.jpg

P1MouthRepaint2.jpg

P1MouthRepaint1.jpg

P1InnerCheekRepaint.jpg

P1OpenMouthRepaint.jpg

As a painter of Preds myself, I have to say, STUPENDOUS workmanship! BRAVO! Man. I am in awe. You really have me needing to up my own game too! I have a couple of these to finish, and thank god I saw all this before I was done. Man. YOU ARE GOOD! And brilliant having the side by sides to work from. That's what did it for you.
Great use of color too.
Still think the armor needs that burnt metal/coppery look to it more here and there, highlights in some places, than you have done, but you have the patinas in there well, so it looks great anyway.
Hard armor to paint. But you have nailed the skintones. Perfection!

Really stunning work.

Excellent painting skills! Just curious, how much would it cost to repaint a whole predator? I'm seriously thinking about sending you my P1. That's if I can afford it. :)

Hey Les,

Thanks for all that praise. It really is an honor to have the master compliment my work so much. Your Preds were a major inspiration to me. If not for your work, I would not have pushed myself this far. I say we just keep going on upping each other's games.:hi5:

As for the armor, I didn't even touch it. That's fresh out of the box armor. The job was just for the flesh tones. You're right though, it might look even better still if the armor were touched up.

No, P., I don't have time for that.

Last edited:
I am also curious how much you would charge for a full P2 repaint on a Guardian Predator. Armor, P2 head and body.

Translation:
hey, SilentSurfer. what was meant, was: "i looked at those repaints and came and asked for something like this. but the result is 100 times better, and i am 100 times more impressed than back in time when you agreed to repaint my pred".
don't look for backhanded from me, i'm the one who would pray for you if i was religious :)

thank you for the photos of P1 mouth. you see, this is what i meant when i worried that P1 would be nothing compared to P2 without at least this repaint. thank you again for helping me with my figures, especially because they might be the first and the last from you and will be the only examples of your touch in my collection.

pity that you didn't take that Derelict Piece of Shi to you Lab :)

Last edited:
Hey Les,

Thanks for all that praise. It really is an honor to have the master compliment my work so much. Your Preds were a major inspiration to me. If not for your work, I would not have pushed myself this far. I say we just keep going on upping each other's games.:hi5:

As for the armor, I didn't even touch it. That's fresh out of the box armor. The job was just for the flesh tones. You're right though, it might look even better still if the armor were touched up.
Honored myself, buddy! :hi5:

I meant to mention, I met Steve Wang back in 1995, and when I asked him about the Predator paint schemes, which he did for both P1 and P2, he told me the original was like a banana, and the P2 was based on fire. I would say you really captured the fire motif of his skin in the sides of the mandibles and the chest, backside and legs. That is the maker-breaker for me when I look at the patterns. The colors you nailed. Just wanted to mention that for you to know and reflect on if you paint another of these.
Again, great stuff!

Hey Nathan - great job on the Sideshow Clone set, and the P2 repaint is incredible. One of these days I may attempt a repaint of a Pred (have a boxed BD P2 and an extra P1) and will surely use your work as not only reference but something to aspire to (even remotely) mimic. I had planned on picking up an extra Lost Pred when they were cheap and abundant and come up with my own unique paint scheme, but missed the boat and have been instead working on a bunch of human sculpt repaints. And like the work on the Clone set, despite all the incessant whining and complaining.

Question, when you paint a project for Sideshow, are you told to just do the best you can - without any restrictions/limitations on number of colors, specific paints/materials used or even techniques etc., so that the factory can then more easily replicate your paintwork? Or do you or someone else supervise the factory and coordinate so as to best replicate the proto paintwork in a cost-effective but still accurate way? Any trips to the China factories planned? I have always been curious about the production process and how an item progressed from proto paintjob to production.

And what's the origin of the name "SilentSurfer"?

Hey Niko,

I wish I could share what I know and how things work, cause it's sometimes pretty interesting, but I'm not allowed to mention any specifics of the process. I totally understand your curiosity though. I was the same way.

SilentSurfer came about when I first got a computer in the mid-90's. It had Windows 3.0 on it, and it was fast for its day.:lol When I got on AOL and gave my friends my email address, they kept bugging me with IM's while I was trying to explore this new thing called the internet. When an Instant Message window popped up, it automatically minimized the window I was viewing. It got really irritating, especially with my small monitor, so I created another user name that nobody would ever know called "SilentSurfer", as in silently (or stealthily) surfing the internet.

Fast forward to onesixthwarriors.com. I used to lurk on OSW and used SilenSurfer as my name. I saw lots of great customs being done on there and decided to start showing my own. The rest is history and now the name I chose as my ninja-mode is the one everybody now knows me by.

Weird how things turn out, isn't it.

Hey Les,

I also met Steve last year at a Cinema Effects free seminar in L.A. I think he mentioned the banana things there, too. He's the reason I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS Airbrush now. That's what he said he uses, and he has two of them. I figured if it was good enough for the master, I couldn't go wrong using one. Great airbrush. That's what I used to paint the fine detail on the P2.

Hey Les,

I also met Steve last year at a Cinema Effects free seminar in L.A. I think he mentioned the banana things there, too. He's the reason I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS Airbrush now. That's what he said he uses, and he has two of them. I figured if it was good enough for the master, I couldn't go wrong using one. Great airbrush. That's what I used to paint the fine detail on the P2.
wow. so the figure is painted by a man working with Sideshow and sharing the painting methods with an actual movie painter. all this adds a collector's valuability to the repaint itself %)

Last edited:
I will never forget the day I first had the honor of seeing my name among the talented artists of Sideshow. That day is today. And special thanks to the man who made it all possible. You know who you are, B.

OrderPage.jpg

Back