Sideshow's Horrifying "Universal Monsters PURGE"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, Sideshow seems to be a very healthy company... bummer about the UM license, but its not like they've done much with it for the last year.

I read that little discussion "over there". I dunno about the sun setting on a company that has so many active licenses and collectors~but I do see some things that annoy me as late. The main one being the NRD on pre-orders.

I will add this,however~there are a lot of collectors of Universal Monsters items that started out supporting Sideshow when they were mass market with 8 inch figures and 12 inch figures. But when SSC started making the higher end exclusive stuff they started disowning Sideshow. I havent been able to figure that one out unless its that they didnt wanna shuck out the bigger bucks for bigger items.

I, for one, am about 95% happy with Sideshow. Since I own or have owned nearly all their Monster items, here are a few of their items I was less than thrilled about:

8 inch line~ I thought the Wolfman's face was a little off, as was Dracula's. Not much to gripe about here. The addition of a final wave consisting of Dr. Frankenstein,Dracula's daughter, and Kharis (Chaney Mummy) would have been nice. I thought they quit too quickly here.

12 inch line~ early offerings of Frankenstein and Wolfman. Frankenstein and Wolfman both suffered from extremely loose joints. Wolfman wasnt fat enough. I think Wolfman's face again, was off. This could just be me being hyper critical of the Wolfman though since he's my favorite(most of the time). Their Glenn Strange Frankenstein could have benefited with a few more crags and wrinkles in his face.

PF's~~ They only one I didnt like was the last Frankenstein they did. His pose was terrible since he was intended to be displayed with the Bride. My favorite of this line is Wolfman(which for the first time Sideshow went with someone who could sculpt lycanthropes with his feet while sleeping: Mike Hill). The least favorite is the Creature for me. I dont like the swimming pose. Especially when all of the others are standing. The winner for "most shattered and horribly uneven paint apps" award goes to the Mummy. I have a perfect one, but there were so many horror stories associated with this one that I am surprised he wasnt the last in the line. Overall this line of Universal Products was probably my favorite.

Diroamas~so much promise and only three figures produced. My only gripe with this line is that there wernt more. Especially since we never got a Kharis Mummy, a staple of 1960's Monsters products.

1:1 Busts~believe it or not, a buddy of mine sold me Ardeth Bey wholesale for $375 upon initial release. He thought the line would tank. I was jazzed and planned to get them all. Until Dracula came out. His head was huge and the paints on mine were terrible, and no medallion. I gave it to my dad who loves all things Bela. I painted my way with commission work to the Frankenstein 1:1 and got a Creature 1:1 wholesale. Space, and the fact that I figured I wouldnt get a Wolfman caused me to sell these off. All at a profit except Dracula which I gave to pops for free. This was probably the line I was least interested in because they were so large. But Mike Hill did an awesome Ardeth and Frankie. I didnt like the Gillman's base. Too boring.

If I could wish for just one more Sideshow Monster product to have been made: it wouldve been a pf of Werewolf of London.

R.I.P. Sideshow Universal Monsters:monkey2

I agree that the diorama line had so much more potential. I have all of them, color and sse, and I was really hoping to keep going with that line. I would have liked to see them expand to scenes of Chaney with his makeup kit and Pierce applying the monster makeup on Karloff.

I read that little discussion "over there". I dunno about the sun setting on a company that has so many active licenses and collectors~but I do see some things that annoy me as late. The main one being the NRD on pre-orders.

I will add this,however~there are a lot of collectors of Universal Monsters items that started out supporting Sideshow when they were mass market with 8 inch figures and 12 inch figures. But when SSC started making the higher end exclusive stuff they started disowning Sideshow. I havent been able to figure that one out unless its that they didnt wanna shuck out the bigger bucks for bigger items.

I, for one, am about 95% happy with Sideshow. Since I own or have owned nearly all their Monster items, here are a few of their items I was less than thrilled about:

8 inch line~ I thought the Wolfman's face was a little off, as was Dracula's. Not much to gripe about here. The addition of a final wave consisting of Dr. Frankenstein,Dracula's daughter, and Kharis (Chaney Mummy) would have been nice. I thought they quit too quickly here.

12 inch line~ early offerings of Frankenstein and Wolfman. Frankenstein and Wolfman both suffered from extremely loose joints. Wolfman wasnt fat enough. I think Wolfman's face again, was off. This could just be me being hyper critical of the Wolfman though since he's my favorite(most of the time). Their Glenn Strange Frankenstein could have benefited with a few more crags and wrinkles in his face.

PF's~~ They only one I didnt like was the last Frankenstein they did. His pose was terrible since he was intended to be displayed with the Bride. My favorite of this line is Wolfman(which for the first time Sideshow went with someone who could sculpt lycanthropes with his feet while sleeping: Mike Hill). The least favorite is the Creature for me. I dont like the swimming pose. Especially when all of the others are standing. The winner for "most shattered and horribly uneven paint apps" award goes to the Mummy. I have a perfect one, but there were so many horror stories associated with this one that I am surprised he wasnt the last in the line. Overall this line of Universal Products was probably my favorite.

Diroamas~so much promise and only three figures produced. My only gripe with this line is that there wernt more. Especially since we never got a Kharis Mummy, a staple of 1960's Monsters products.

1:1 Busts~believe it or not, a buddy of mine sold me Ardeth Bey wholesale for $375 upon initial release. He thought the line would tank. I was jazzed and planned to get them all. Until Dracula came out. His head was huge and the paints on mine were terrible, and no medallion. I gave it to my dad who loves all things Bela. I painted my way with commission work to the Frankenstein 1:1 and got a Creature 1:1 wholesale. Space, and the fact that I figured I wouldnt get a Wolfman caused me to sell these off. All at a profit except Dracula which I gave to pops for free. This was probably the line I was least interested in because they were so large. But Mike Hill did an awesome Ardeth and Frankie. I didnt like the Gillman's base. Too boring.

If I could wish for just one more Sideshow Monster product to have been made: it wouldve been a pf of Werewolf of London.

R.I.P. Sideshow Universal Monsters:monkey2

Richard, Mine would have been A Karloff in Son Of Frankenstein Silver Screen Edition PF Figure or a 1:1 Scale Bust of the same.:monkey2
With this news of Sideshow's loss, I am thinking of getting out of the hobby.:monkey2 AND NO! MY ITEMS ARE NOT FOR SALE!:lol:rotfl

I too found the Creature 1:1 base too be too boring. I was really jazzed about getting one and was all set to pop; but it just looked so odd to have this giant head sitting on a small porthole base :huh

The NRD is kind of bothersome, but I assume its an effort to not overproduce items and get stuck with extra inventory. I have yet to buy anything with the new NRD system, but I did put $250 down on the Vader 1:1, but that is because I knew I would not cancel for anything.

I am happy to see that with the NRD, Sideshow has gone back to not charging extra for exclusives. I passed on the 1/6 Greedo as I could not justify paying retail + $5 for tiny poster :lol

Monsters? Probably not. Remember when the Dead was up and running they were looking into other creatures of the night to do the same with, I remember Vampires and Werewolves were mentioned. Universal Monsters? I wouldn't hold your breath.

I think that was hinted at... would be interesting to see what they come up with. But honestly, not something I'd likely drop $$$ on.

It was hinted at in the 3rd year of the Dead but never mentioned again....it could be still in the works but time doesn't really help their probablity.

Sideshow Original Monsters? Just a thought.

Nick

Well, I am sure that would be great for people who just want "a" monster and not "THE" Monsters. But I can assure you they wont get a dime from me for generic concepts/original designs that arent affiliated with the classics from the movies. No interest. No sir. none. :mad:

I never supported the garage kits that were "original designs", and have no interest in paying super high prices for "quality" items that are based on....something I have never heard of. :slap

That's why I dont buy "The Dead" figures/stuff. The price for those things are around the same price as an item SSC has to pay a licensing fee for. Why? I dunno, he's on thrid and I dont give a darn. None for me.

But just because SSC has lost/been stripped of the Universal Monsters license doesnt mean I will "get out of the hobby": there was life before SSC, and there will be after. But I am not in the least bit interested in buying something like "Count Vladenstein", "Lycanwolf", or "Frankencorpse".:eek::eek::cuss

Last edited:
Well, I am sure that would be great for people who just want "a" monster and not "THE" Monsters. But I can assure you they wont get a dime from me for generic concepts/original designs that arent affiliated with the classics from the movies. No interest. No sir. none. :mad:

I never supported the garage kits that were "original designs", and have no interest in paying super high prices for "quality" items that are based on....something I have ever heard of. :slap

That's why I dont buy "The Dead" figures/stuff. The price for those things are around the same price as an item SSC has to pay a licensing fee for. Why? I dunno, he's on thrid and I dont give a darn. None for me.

But just because SSC has lost/been stripped of the Universal Monsters license doesnt mean I will "get out of the hobby": there was life before SSC, and there will be after. But I am not in the least bit interested in buying something like "Count Vladenstein", "Lycanwolf", or "Frankencorpse".:eek::eek::cuss

Yes, No Universal Monsters license has kind of killed it for me.:monkey2 However, I do hope we see that Frankenstein The Revenant. :D Although I feel he should be called "Creature The Revenant" Because in the book the monster was known as "The Creature" not only that but I do not think Sideshow can use the name "The Monster" on the product because of Universal. Again, Those are just my thoughts.

Nick

Yes, No Universal Monsters license has kind of killed it for me.:monkey2 However, I do hope we see that Frankenstein The Revenant. :D Although I feel he should be called "Creature The Revenant" Because in the book the monster was known as "The Creature" not only that but I do not think Sideshow can use the name "The Monster" on the product because of Universal. Again, Those are just my thoughts.

Nick

They would have an easier time using the name Frankenstein than The Creature. Frankenstein is public domain. The Creature is probably copyrighted by the big U.:monkey3

Back