Sideshow's Horrifying "Universal Monsters PURGE"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anton Phibes

Super Freak
Reaction score
There are no longer any items that have anything to do with Universal Monsters listed on Sideshow's website. Even the retired/sold out items have been removed in their entirety.

Before anybody starts yapping about Nosferatu~he's public domain and not Universal's.

So~~ no more Universal Monsters items/product from Sideshow.:(

It will be real easy for me to not buy their Nosferatu statue now. Because it won't be followed by any other classic monsters.:slap Start of a line~I dont think so. More like a one off.:slap

Farewell Sideshow Universal Monsters. You added some great prizes to my collection.:monkey2

Makes it very hard to want to purchase Nos, I agree; oh well, least it wasn't after two or three pieces. :gah:

Man, that's ancient!:lol

For some reason, my order won't go through... :monkey2:dunno

:lol

This whole thing has been really strange. Items disappearing from the web site, phantom versions of one of the old sites appearing, job posting for a PHP programmer... Hope all is well at Sideshow...

....who cares? :(

Well...obviously not you. :lol It's interesting though. Sideshow has "sold out" archives for their active licenses. The absence of anything and everything Universal Monsters pretty much says "No more Universal Monster items will be coming from Sideshow". So yeah~~that's why some might care. Like me.:monkey3 Even though I cannot really afford to buy like I did about 5 years ago, to know there will be nothing else at all from Sideshow of the beloved Monsters is kind of sad.:monkey2

I don't see how the removal of old long sold out items means they will not be making any more Univeral Monster products.

I don't see how the removal of old long sold out items means they will not be making any more Univeral Monster products.

I am going by their past practices. They only seem to remove a license from their website in its entirety (or make it really hard to find) when they have no intentions of continuing said license.

Once they were certain there would be no more entries...the information for all product vanished. The same way all the UNIVERSAL MONSTERS stuff has. If they were just purging old data from the Horror section, there is a lot more sold out product still cluttering those pages.

Notice they didnt take down any of the sold out Nosferatu listings...including the first pf they ever did, which is 5 years sold out.
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=7101R&ref=listing-page
So why pull the Universal Monsters listings if not for the reason that they are finished with them for the foreseeable future?

then there's this little tidbit when you use google to search for Sideshow Universal Monsters products:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/listing.php?cat=Universal Monsters

I am not the only guy who noticed this and came to the same conclusion. I did some searching and apparently the folks at statueforum noticed it as well as the devout monster fans over at the UMA.:lecture:peace

Last edited:
Very strange.
Hopefully Sideshow can give us some info on this.

I thought Nosferatu was the start of a new line.
I'm pretty sure I read something about that from Sideshow ...

that does REALLY suck, but I do think youre just hurting yourself but not buying a product based on the line's future. if the piece kicks ass, no reason not to buy it anyway.
Thats like refusing to buy a Jeff Yagher monster piece / kit cause he quit making more. Youre only hurting your own collection in the long run.

It's not just the removal from the site that has shifted my priorities. It's the absolute lack of QC nowadays and the fact that they will not likely support any lines besides the huge ones past 3-4 releases. The dios were some of the best Uni horror things made, and even before the line was discontinued the pieces were sold out everywhere and commanding high prices. We all know now that there will be nothing beyond Nosferatu, so unless you want to display it all on its own, what's the point?

More importantly, I've decided to instead invest in autographs of these actors and actresses I love so much. Since October, I've obtained the following authentic autographs from totally reputable dealers:

-2 Lon Chaney Sr. autographed album pages
-Colin Clive and Jeanne De Casalis signed page
-Claude Rains signed pages with long handwritten inscription
-Ernest Thesiger signed page
-Peter Lorre cut signature
-Conrad Veidt signed 8x10
-Una O'Connor signed page
-Valerie Hobson signed 8x10
-Gloria Stuart signed 8x10

...All for about $2000.

I spent almost $2000 for an SSE Mummy pf that showed up at my house completely destroyed because it was cheaply manufactored and placed into poor packaging. As far as I'm concerned, things like Chaney Sr. and Colin Clive autographs will always be the better collectables in my collection (if you're buying from reputable dealers), and they are worth this kind of scratch... not these statues that give me trouble every time one arrives at my house.

I'm wondering if they are updating the old images with new ones? I noticed searches no longer bring up sold out items... you have click on a specific tab to make that happen?

I can't imagine we'd see a Highlanderesque wiping away of what has been one of their mainstay licenses for years :huh

Wow that really is odd... the only thing that comes up for 1:1 bust, 12" figures and PF's is Nosferatu items :huh That is very strange indeed.

Guess its possible they might have been forced to remove all of the items, but still odd. Hope we get an explanation.

well thats a bummer. i loved looking over all the pictures even though i didnt have anything. oddly enough on a side note i just posted a wtb thread for universal monsters 1/6 stuff from sideshow. if anyone has anything they want to part with im starting from scratch so bulk would help.

Back