Sideshow's Horrifying "Universal Monsters PURGE"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be interesting to know if SS had plans to do a 1:1 bust of The Mummy or The Wolfman before all of this. They were obvious additions to the line.

Actually...from what i was told...there was going to be a life sized bust of wolfman and Lon Chaney's "vampire" from London after Midnight. Complete w/ beaver hat. Sigh....i wish I wasnt told that since I've been waiting for a longggg time for a 1:1 bust of Chaney's vampire.

I did come across this though....supposedly its even supported by the Chaney estate. Price is steep though...

https://www.darrenrobertsworkshop.com/

the Chaney clown looks good too

Actually...from what i was told...there was going to be a life sized bust of wolfman and Lon Chaney's "vampire" from London after Midnight. Complete w/ beaver hat. Sigh....i wish I wasnt told that since I've been waiting for a longggg time for a 1:1 bust of Chaney's vampire.

I did come across this though....supposedly its even supported by the Chaney estate. Price is steep though...

Aren't these even offered on the Chaney site for sale? I'd like the vampire in black and white, but not at 2.5k.

Who's the teller/source? From what I was told from a buddy of mine who is/was a Sideshow dealer, those busts did nothing but under perform for Sideshow right out of the stable, and Wolfman wasn't even on the radar.

We did just recently (like before Sideshow's purge) have a new Wolfman movie. It seems to me if the Wolfman were ever in the works it would have seen the light of day for pre-order before release of the movie, and actual release right at the time of the movie. Movie hype/excitement make people do strange things. Even though the critics panned the film, most Universal Monsters fans liked it. Even me. So if a Wolfman had been through the stages of planning and sculpt, they still had time for a release.

They pretty much always threw in the towel with Creature. Creature is always their biggest seller (for whatever reason). He was probably always anticipated to be a heavy seller, and a renewer of interest in the line while it was going deep/long. Not so many people excited about a line when they get down to characters like Werewolf of London...but throw the Creature out there and interest gets renewed. Like keeping an ace in the hole...just in case sales sagged. Which they always did. He always seemed to spell the end of any line. Shoot, he was even one of the last 12 inch figures I believe. I think maybe the Metaluna Mutant and Invisible man mightve came out after him...but that was it. The 8 inchers were their first outing, and they released Creature early in that line, so that was before the whole pattern developed of using him as an ace in the hole.

Aren't these even offered on the Chaney site for sale? I'd like the vampire in black and white, but not at 2.5k.

ahh...didnt know they had them. just found out about these when i heard about the aborted Chaney bust...but yeah 2.5k is too much. Sideshow would have been a bit cheaper and probably even a better sculpt.

cant give out the name of the person who told me this but it was a comic shop owner who managed to talk to one of the heads at the company a few weeks ago. is it true? i cant confirm it but the guy has always been straight w/ me on stuff like this. if i hear anything else ill post it here.

Who's the teller/source? From what I was told from a buddy of mine who is/was a Sideshow dealer, those busts did nothing but under perform for Sideshow right out of the stable, and Wolfman wasn't even on the radar.

We did just recently (like before Sideshow's purge) have a new Wolfman movie. It seems to me if the Wolfman were ever in the works it would have seen the light of day for pre-order before release of the movie, and actual release right at the time of the movie. Movie hype/excitement make people do strange things. Even though the critics panned the film, most Universal Monsters fans liked it. Even me. So if a Wolfman had been through the stages of planning and sculpt, they still had time for a release.

They pretty much always threw in the towel with Creature. Creature is always their biggest seller (for whatever reason). He was probably always anticipated to be a heavy seller, and a renewer of interest in the line while it was going deep/long. Not so many people excited about a line when they get down to characters like Werewolf of London...but throw the Creature out there and interest gets renewed. Like keeping an ace in the hole...just in case sales sagged. Which they always did. He always seemed to spell the end of any line. Shoot, he was even one of the last 12 inch figures I believe. I think maybe the Metaluna Mutant and Invisible man mightve came out after him...but that was it. The 8 inchers were their first outing, and they released Creature early in that line, so that was before the whole pattern developed of using him as an ace in the hole.

Cause the Creature is withoutadoubt the greatest design of any movie monster.

Aside from Giger's Alien, maybe. Unless you are talking only the classics, and even still I personally like others better.

I'm still pissed that this line was dropped...It meant as much to me as my Toho and Harryhausen pieces...This was a nice part of my childhood watching them and helped me get into this hobby in the first place...I would have loved a Chaney Sr. Hunchback or a Chaney Jr. as Talbot or IGor orInvisible man...Even Abbot and Costello...Even a James Arness as the Thing PF(RKO I think did this) ...All of course SSE PF versions

Aside from Giger's Alien, maybe. Unless you are talking only the classics, and even still I personally like others better.

Giger's Alien is number 1 Monster wise...Godzilla is up there too...But the creature in its day was huge!...just like Darth Vader and Godfather for humans

I'm more disappointed about SSC giving up the 12" line. Even though that happened a LONG time ago. The fact we never got Ygor, the Claude Rains Phantom, Dracula's Daughter, Henry Frankenstein, John Carradine Dracula and Abbott and Costello (among others) is a huge loss.

Seems like all the beloved lines are being tossed aside (Universal, Dead, horror) .....

I think SS had an amazing run with this line. They did a fantastic job and I'm lucky enough to own some Uni Monster PFs. Though I'm in my early 30's, and a huge Uni Monster fan, I'm not sure if people of my generation today appreciate these monters as much as we do. SS probably sees dollar signs with Star Wars and DC so it only makes sense as a business wanting more profit that they concentrate on those lines. It would be nice for them to one day revisit the Uni Monsters and give me a "Son of" Monster PF or something of the sort. I would be the first in line to buy this piece. In the meantime, I am left to enjoy the four Uni Monster PFs I have left (just sold my Creature due to lack of space). :(

Last edited:
It would be nice for them to one day revisit the Uni Monsters and give me a "Son of" Monster PF or something of the sort. I would be the first in line to buy this piece.

Correction. You might be the second in line for that piece. Nick would most definitely be first! :lecture

salt%2Bin%2Bwounds.jpg

Donnie Dunagan @ Monster Bash this summer...last survivor of my favorite movie.

Back