Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is on Route to Dubai so I should have it next week. While I am not happy with the pvc non disclosure, if the sculpt and paint are good I'll be content. A lot have stated that in person this is good statue once you get over the weight and material bit. Let's see.

Well, I've been collecting all these years, and one thing I learned is that the final product sometimes is better than the proto, and sometimes not.

That's true but Sideshows ones are still pretty close for better or worse but IMO this looks just like the prototype as far as head sculpt goes. I was just shocked at your response because from day one most people have not liked the proto head sculpt anyway. But now I know what you mean I can understand your response after you saw the head sculpt. ;)

You're right about Hot Toys, in fact I have 3 MOS figures from Hot Toys and sadly not even a MOS P.Format from Sideshow.

I know how you feel. :(

All I know is if Hot Toys releases a 1/4 Man of Steel then this Sideshow version's price will drop.

Personally I think it will drop regardless, its a nice figure but it just reminds me of those old LJN wrestler figures as it looks like a rubber figure and not a polystone statue like the proto did which I think they did glue the suit on that one. It certainly doesn't look like it is worth $400 but maybe the beautiful suit is the reason why the cost is so high. :dunno

Thank you for the info Dave.
Glad its not glued, I'm gonna try to futz with mine when I get it.

The whole suit being all cloth including the boots was actually one of the biggest selling point why I decided to get it.

I thought it was mixed media for a long time and didnt realize it was all cloth until somone mentioned it on one of the youtube videos when the statue was at comic con.

I do agree, as much as I love HT's suit, the material Sideshow used for the suit is even better.
It almost looks like the very same material that was used in the movie.

Yeah I agree, but I can't believe they put it on a rubber figure, it sucks as I was really looking forward to getting this. Can't believe you are now getting it Fernando, after all the things you stated that you thought was wrong about it. I guess that beautiful suit was just too tempting to resist! :cool:

Mine is on Route to Dubai so I should have it next week. While I am not happy with the pvc non disclosure, if the sculpt and paint are good I'll be content. A lot have stated that in person this is good statue once you get over the weight and material bit. Let's see.

The one advantage of having a PVC sculpt other than polystone is that it looks like real skin, which is why Blitzway have decided to go that route. So if someone repaints this it won't look like a typical polystone statue in that they have that stone look, it will look more like EBS and Hot Toys sculpts.

This guy has a nice review of the figure...at 8 minutes into it, he has a video of it under LED lighting.
It looks really nice.
I'm gonna display it with LED lighting so its nice to see how it would look with the lighting.

I guess its good that the general consensus is that it looks good in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdWfdt8SJzo&list=UUZAS98JUO7g2fXsxjGzQSkA

Thanks for the video Fernando, I really like how he posed the cape, I will probably have to see this in person to make my final decision.

Last edited:
Can't believe you are now getting it Fernando, after all the things you stated that you thought was wrong about it. I guess that beautiful suit was just too tempting to resist! :cool:

...Thanks for the video Fernando, I really like how he posed the cape, I will probably have to see this in person to make my final decision.

No, trust me Steve, this is one of the few times in regards to this collecting hobby, that I was truly upset in the beginning.
The other times were mainly due to dealing with custom figures.
You and I have spoken about this figure for a while and for a long time, I was undecided cause I have made a vow of sticking to 1/6 only.
I sold the few 1/4 I had, and kept only two cause I have two museum display cases that holds 1/4 figures.
The EB batman is staying so if I was to buy this, I would sell my captain America TFA PF, which I really really love.
So I finally made a hard decision to get this, and then of course, find out it won't be polystone.
This is gonna be my one and only sideshow Premium format, and sideshow decided to make it plastic. Lol.

I was in the same boat as the people who wanted to cancel, but is screwed cause I used reward points on this, plus, I put it on flex at the the last minute,
So if you cancel a flex payment, you get charged $40.
So if I cancel, I would have been out of around $100 for nothing.

I've calmed down now after seeing better images of the figure.
Theres nothing else we can do about the pvc switch, but I just have to take comfort in reading that some of the ones who have it thinks it's much better in hand.

Last edited:
nice pics man.. is this a raw picture? or did you add some filtering on it? just asking so that i can have an idea on how the statue really look like.

Great pic. I hope you're as happy with him as I am QG

Guys, these pics were shot using my crap camera phone using a table lamp for lighting. Straight shooting, no camera effects or post shot editing whatsoever (other than cropping for fit), and I guess I backed of the exposure by a tiny fraction using the extremely limited camera app on my phone. The sculpt is right there, but the lighting is absolutely, indispensably, crucial...

To get this shots, I just needed to do a couple of things: Put the light source above and a few inches in front of the figure. you need to cast some light from the front in order to illuminate the eye socket just a slight amount to get the blue eyes to pop just a bit. Other than that, it was point and shoot. The figure doesn't need much help. But if you don't do anything at all about controlling the light, the shot are going to...vary.

And, Jimbits, I really love this figure! Would have been nice if it were polystone, but I'm over it. He's placed in the collection now, I won't getting out the scales anytime soon! I'll say this though, given how this piece came out, if SS wants to come out with a new category of figure using PVC only for a lesser price point (say $275 or so) I think that would be pretty cool, allowing me to pick up more pieces without murdering my walet quite so much... Just my $0.02

6K71ww.jpg

vMTfDV.jpg

Guys, these pics were shot using my crap camera phone using a table lamp for lighting. Straight shooting, no camera effects or post shot editing whatsoever (other than cropping for fit), and I guess I backed of the exposure by a tiny fraction using the extremely limited camera app on my phone. The sculpt is right there, but the lighting is absolutely, indispensably, crucial...

To get this shots, I just needed to do a couple of things: Put the light source above and a few inches in front of the figure. you need to cast some light from the front in order to illuminate the eye socket just a slight amount to get the blue eyes to pop just a bit. Other than that, it was point and shoot. The figure doesn't need much help. But if you don't do anything at all about controlling the light, the shot are going to...vary.

And, Jimbits, I really love this figure! Would have been nice if it were polystone, but I'm over it. He's placed in the collection now, I won't getting out the scales anytime soon! I'll say this though, given how this piece came out, if SS wants to come out with a new category of figure using PVC only for a lesser price point (say $275 or so) I think that would be pretty cool, allowing me to pick up more pieces without murdering my walet quite so much... Just my $0.02

6K71ww.jpg

vMTfDV.jpg

Great shots QuiGon! Congrats on the piece, glad you're happy with it!

True that.
Man is it. I've got my Punisher PF up for £245 including postage on eBay, practically brand new. Still no one wants it

But regarding this PF, I've got to admit judging from early pictures I thought this looked horrible but seeing the newer pictures it's a lot better than what I 1st thought.

It is out for delivery !
Can't wait to see it. I hope it is as good as everyone says it is.

Liking this PF more and more every time I look at it. When comparing it to my Hot Toys figure, sure HT beats it in terms of realism with their paint apps, but dare I say I think the PF actually is a little more accurate in terms of overall likeness to Henry Cavill. Also, IMO the PF suit is actually a lot better than the HT one with more accurate colors and the emblem is better in shape and love the way it glistens in the light.

More shots:

15489443427_e62c3f06dd_c.jpg

15488772379_f0139a1d86_c.jpg

15489250308_5945f2490c_c.jpg

15488768239_1cd3cd7373_c.jpg

15650922516_eddbef531e_c.jpg

15676217332_97aa4d8d9f_c.jpg

15674644365_ba46735592_c.jpg

15488757139_ed908fe23d_c.jpg

15489446087_718ca637f8_c.jpg

Liking this PF more and more every time I look at it. When comparing it to my Hot Toys figure, sure HT beats it in terms of realism with their paint apps, but dare I say I think the PF actually is a little more accurate in terms of overall likeness to Henry Cavill. Also, IMO the PF suit is actually a lot better than the HT one with more accurate colors and the emblem is better in shape and love the way it glistens in the light.

More shots:

15489443427_e62c3f06dd_c.jpg

15488772379_f0139a1d86_c.jpg

15489250308_5945f2490c_c.jpg

15488768239_1cd3cd7373_c.jpg

15650922516_eddbef531e_c.jpg

15676217332_97aa4d8d9f_c.jpg

15674644365_ba46735592_c.jpg

15488757139_ed908fe23d_c.jpg

15489446087_718ca637f8_c.jpg

Here's hoping that this last round of shots at least put an end to the arguments from the "looks like crap" crowd. You may prefer the HT sculpt, you may have thought that even the prototype was not your favorite representation of the character, but this has to be one of the best proto to production transitions we've seen in a PF from SS in a while, IMHO.

If you sneak up on your subject and point and click with your phone without any real attention to lighting and a little composition, you could likely make the Sistine Chapel ceiling look like a lousy paint job. Not knocking the brave first posters who came in here and courageously gave us our first look at the production piece (after SS hid it from us for months). The point is we have a lot more material on which to base an informed judgement now. Cheers to all the contributors!

6K71ww.jpg

vMTfDV.jpg

QG I agree. If they could produce an Amazing Spidey 2 Pf in P.V.C with a suit of this quality for $250 I'd be all over it. Knowing Ss it will be $450

I just received mine. Very excited for this one, I am a huge Supes fan, but wow!!! This thing looks like cheap garbage. I boxed it up and I sent SSC a full refund request. He looks like a tan old man, and this can't be poly stone. He feels like a Hot Toys figure.

I just received mine. Very excited for this one, I am a huge Supes fan, but wow!!! This thing looks like cheap garbage. I boxed it up and I sent SSC a full refund request. He looks like a tan old man, and this can't be poly stone. He feels like a Hot Toys figure.

LOL! So much for my hopes!

beautiful pics everyone! can't wait to open mine up later tonight :panic:

Don't let me completely smash you hopes, but man.... mine is horrible. This thing is $20 less than the Superman comic PF and nowhere near the quality.

I only paid $330 shipped for mine coming from Alter Ego so it was $70 less that Comic Sups for me :D

Back