Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where have you been? The majority have not been impressed with this sculpt since day one of seeing proto pretty much. And if you want the item with the best likeness then the Hot Toys one is the one to buy. I just preferred the color of the suit on this one more than the Hot Toys one because in this case I was just gong for the overall look and not so much the head sculpt with the best likeness.

Well, I've been collecting all these years, and one thing I learned is that the final product sometimes is better than the proto, and sometimes not. You're right about Hot Toys, in fact I have 3 MOS figures from Hot Toys and sadly not even a MOS P.Format from Sideshow.

I was lucky enough to get this from Chicky last spook. I am sitting here reading everything people are saying and I of course have my own feelings and opinions.

First, I got mine as a gift so it's very hard for me to form any realistic criticism that may make me seem ungrateful.

Tell people the truth, let them decide.

So, let's try to forget the fact that Sideshow used PVC, and let's focus more on why we didn't get the chance to be told, out of respect, that we weren't getting resin, which is the assumption after all of these years buying with Sideshow.

That's the issue for me. Let me make the decision before you ship it to me. Being outside the US, I stand to lose money on a returned item due to currency conversion fees and taxes. Those costs do not get refunded, and can total between $50 and $100 depending on the item...not insignificant.

Thats the thing and I feel for jimbits and bmutha as your going to get stung on the fees which really isnt fair. £100 out of pocket on something you should have been notified on is poor on SS part. And I dont get the whole " well if it falls off a shelf it wont break" what a load of rubbish! I dont have that in mind when parting with my hard earned corn. I totally respect my heavy statues standing in they're place with they're justified polystone price tags. Last thing on my mind is if they will smash or bounce.

Okay, home, unpacked

Surprised?

Ready to eat crow?

Kinda...

It is really impressive in person.

The sculpt comes through and the paint apps are very good in natural light. No shiny shiny, only under flash.

The suit is incredible, it really is.

The figure is light but heavier than I thought it would be. Feels heavier than the Hot toy for sure so the material used has some weight/mass and thickness to it.

The cape is gorgeous velvety material but way too heavy for the wires. I tried to pose it in a dynamic manner but soon got fed up.

The seams are there but actually quite hard to spot unless very close and at the right angle. I'm unhappy with plastic and seams still but it is way better than I thought it would turn out.

The paints are very high quality on mine, no complaints at all. Far better than I imagined and better than some of the movie pfs I've seen in store and pictured online.

It is very hard to photograph right, but I'll get some pics up soon and get a review up on my blog.

In short, unhappy at pvcgate and the way Ss handled this but really, really glad I didn't cancel.

Okay, home, unpacked

Surprised?

Ready to eat crow?

Kinda...

The sculpt comes through and the paint apps are very good in natural light. No shiny shiny, only under flash.

The figure is light but heavier than I thought it would be. Feels heavier than the Hot toy for sure so the material used has some weight/mass and thickness to it.

The cape is gorgeous velvety material but way too heavy for the wires. I tried to pose it in a dynamic manner but soon got fed up.

The seams are there but actually quite hard to spot unless very close and at the right angle. I'm unhappy with plastic and seams still but it is way better than I thought it would turn out.

The paints are very high quality on mine, no complaints at all. Far better than I imagined and better than some of the movie pfs I've seen in store and pictured online.

It is very hard to photograph right, but I'll get some pics up soon and get a review up on my blog.

In short, unhappy at pvcgate and the way Ss handled this but really, really glad I didn't cancel.

Good to hear! Ill be opening mine on Saturday. I understand all the complaints about the material switcheroo but not how the PF looks. I personally think it looks magnificent. There be alot of MoS haters around these parts, the negative reaction to this statue doesn't surprise me. People love to hate anything MoS.

Thats the thing and I feel for jimbits and bmutha as your going to get stung on the fees which really isnt fair. £100 out of pocket on something you should have been notified on is poor on SS part. And I dont get the whole " well if it falls off a shelf it wont break" what a load of rubbish! I dont have that in mind when parting with my hard earned corn. I totally respect my heavy statues standing in they're place with they're justified polystone price tags. Last thing on my mind is if they will smash or bounce.

Well, I canceled mine a long time ago, but the point is still valid...there is a cost for international customers even when Sideshow issues a 100% refund. They need to be sensitive to that, and notify customers of changes like this (whether it's good or bad) before shipping it out. Let the buyer decide what they want to to...put the ball in the buyer's court so to speak.

Okay, home, unpacked

Surprised?

Ready to eat crow?

Kinda...

Exactly...

That sums up my take as well. And its not until you have him in hand that you can see why SS decided to handle PVCgate the way they did. What sense would there have been from a business standpoint (and after all, SS is a business first) in starting the firestorm before customers could actually handle the piece in their own hands noting all of the fantastic detail you list and could decide for themselves whether the weight of the piece outweighs (no pun intended) all the other factors. People would have surely cancelled him out of hand long before he shipped otherwise and thereby deprived themselves of a great piece (and deprived SS of a good deal of money). SS is still willing to accept your judgement that the piece is not up to acceptable par if you feel the PVC, or any other issues, cause you to be dissatisfied. What's missing in that equation, however, might be the PR nightmare that they have brought upon themselves, mostly from folks who never ordered the piece to begin with...

Well, I canceled mine a long time ago, but the point is still valid...there is a cost for international customers even when Sideshow issues a 100% refund. They need to be sensitive to that, and notify customers of changes like this (whether it's good or bad) before shipping it out. Let the buyer decide what they want to to...put the ball in the buyer's court so to speak.

I agree 100%

Agreed.

The cape takes some time. I got some really nice shapes out of it last night, but it took a long time... talk about playing with dolls :lol

The only thing I can say is don't let this thing pass we should boycott this item, let SSC learn their lesson. I don't have problem being PVC the only thing I hate about SSC is FALSE ADVERTISING. If there is some changes SSC should Notify their bayer NO Surprise :mad:

My review is up...
The Man Of Polyvinyl Chloride | bitsyland

Some pics (more on my review in higher rez)

mos1.jpg

mos2.jpg

mos3.jpg

mos4.jpg

mos5.jpg

The only thing I can say is don't let this thing pass we should boycott this item, let SSC learn their lesson. I don't have problem being PVC the only thing I hate about SSC is FALSE ADVERTISING. If there is some changes SSC should Notify their bayer NO Surprise :mad:

I said the same thing. It's a form of false advertising.

Are some of us really calling it PVC-gate? Why is every scandal a gate?

Watergate was the man holding the highest office in the land trying to circumvent our democracy thus leading us into a new era of public distrust in government.

Equating that with a Christian governor who had sex with a hooker or a statue being made out of a crappy material makes us sound like fools. :lol

Back