Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone will have their own opinion on their likes/dislikes of this piece.

In the interest of being fair and balanced, there are some great things about this piece... notably his suit, and cape, which are both screen-accurate and tremendously well done. On the dislikes, the PVC issue did turn a lot of collectors off (due to the method in which it was handled/not disclosed), and his pose could have been more dynamic. Nevertheless, I do enjoy this piece, and it sits proudly amongst my other Superman pieces.

Keaton Batman, on the other hand, is an unfair comparison. That statue is unbelievably great!

Hey guys or gals, is 225.00 shipped brand new worth picking this up? I have comic supes, and batgirl. Looking to start building up my pf collection. Have black and grey bats, modern age bats, and joker Arkham asylum on preorder. Would like to get Keaton bats, wonder woman , and Catwoman eventually. Thanks for your opinion.

Everyone will have their own opinion on their likes/dislikes of this piece.

In the interest of being fair and balanced, there are some great things about this piece... notably his suit, and cape, which are both screen-accurate and tremendously well done. On the dislikes, the PVC issue did turn a lot of collectors off (due to the method in which it was handled/not disclosed), and his pose could have been more dynamic. Nevertheless, I do enjoy this piece, and it sits proudly amongst my other Superman pieces.

Keaton Batman, on the other hand, is an unfair comparison. That statue is unbelievably great!

Thank you for your opinion. 225.00 seems like a really good price that is hard to pass up. Do you have this pf figure? Thanks

Yes I have the Man of Steel PF.

I think... Or hope... That with the upcoming Batman v Superman movie, that there will be better PF's coming for the MoS -- at least with respect to overall design. That would be my only reason to wait. Otherwise, as I have said, there is a group of collectors who are happy with him (although judging by this forum and SS price cuts, we are in the minority).

Thank you for your opinion. 225.00 seems like a really good price that is hard to pass up. Do you have this pf figure? Thanks

As anyone who's followed this thread for any amount of time knows, I've spent a good deal of time and energy defending this piece. I own it, I like it a lot. I think its been over a year now since these first began getting delivered, and with the benefit of hindsight, I think that we are in a position to try summarize the reasons why so many folks (IMHO) struggled to give this piece a fair and objective review. I'd say they are these:

1. PVC issue. Obviously #1. In short SS really dropped the ball by not letting us know that the materials we all came to expect on all PFs was not going to be used on this piece. I think, frankly, they were afraid of the potential cancellations, and I think that choice actually made cancellations, and perhaps even more importantly, subsequent potential orders, nose dive even more than they otherwise might have because the word-of mouth reviews were animated by the surprise and disappointment with the materials used. i would argue that the PVC in no way diminishes the figure as a display piece, but this aspect gets very emotional for people.

Although I maintain that the head sculpt on this piece is as good or better than other SS PFs I own or have seen in person, there has been a vocal group of people who think its not good at all. I think some of the main contributing reasons for this sentiment are these:

2. It always seems to be an order of magnitude more difficult to mass produce a truly great head sculpt for these pieces in quarter scale when there is no dominant facial feature that takes over the look of the sculpt. With the MOS piece, we're looking at a clean shaven, short haired Cavill. When there is a major, not-too-difficult-to-capture feature that takes up a relatively high percentage of head sculpt real estate, which can be rendered accurately without all of the soft detail and facial structure required when dealing with a human face, its a lot easier to nail the final result. for this piece, there is no heavy beard like we see an Galdalf the Grey, or Saruman; no heavy cowl like the excellent Keaton Batman (only need to sculpt 1/3 of a human face), Indiana Jones' famous fedora, etc... Facial replication/recognition is tricky and subjective, and everyone has an opinion. A "naked" face makes this that much harder.

3. The proximity to when this was released and the release date of the truly awe inspiring Hot Toys piece from the same source material. Hot Toys hit their MOS out of the freaking ballpark (particularly with regard to the head sculpt), and I think the comparison didn't do the SS PF any favors. I don't think it would be too hard to get any honest critic of the SS PF to admit that this is really an unfair comparison given the way HT and SS produce these pieces, but one can't deny the obvious impact of the side by side.

4. Honestly HORRIBLE pictures sideshow is currently using to promote this piece. A sculpture is a 3D image. It does not translate well into 2D, so special care is required to show off the topography of the more subtle details. Lighting and positioning are absolutely critical. If you fail to take care in these elements, the pictures you wind up with can range from bad to vomit inducing. We've seen a lot of examples of the entire spectrum in this thread. But as I've said many times, I own the piece, I own several others from SS. The MOS sculpt is on par with all of them.

So that's the deal as I see it. Now, with heavy discounting and extra reward points in play, I think there is a very strong argument to pick this up. One thing that NO ONE argues is that the costume is truly spectacular. If you're a fan of Cavill in this role, I don't see how you go wrong. That said, one thing we may see is a new piece for BvS, assuming SS isn't scared off by this license at this point (even if they botched things by their own hand). I'd say that the PVC experiment - at least with regard to the Superman line up - is likely over forever. Lets hope so...

I'll leave you with a few favorite shots I've taken of my personal piece. He displays incredibly well, if you work with the lighting to compliment the sculpt:

6e4image.jpg
7VqbNS.jpg

dd5image.jpg
LKQ8Fr.jpg
vMTfDV.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just buy what you like. If you have to ask randon people on a forum, then that's probably a sign not to buy. Stick to the pieces that truly wow you, and youll have a damn fine collection with minimal turnover.

Just to throw my 2 cents in there, I did buy this MOS PF for a discount awhile back, got it for $250, even at the discount I was disappointed in it, you can actually move his arm's and legs because their rubber... His portrait looks like an old version of Superman. I just gave it to my nephew who loves it... but anyone who is picky about their statues will be disappointed in this one even at $225...

Well, look, if you didn't like the head sculpt of the proto, you're not going to like the production piece. I agree that it's closer to a hybrid of Cavill and idealized Superman. I happened to really like that about the figure at SDCC.

But this is a good example of an argument I just don't understand. If the idea of sitting and looking at your display piece MOS PF from across the room and knowing....just knowing, that "If you wanted to" you could go over and bend his arm a few millimeters in and out is somehow a deal breaker, well then I guess it's a pass for you. If folks want to argue that it doesn't look as good as they hoped, that makes perfect sense, but this psychological rejection of a piece never to be handled again after it finds its place in your collection except on rare occasion when changing your display area because you just "know" it's plastic, is odd to me.

What I can understand is not getting what you think you paid for, and if that's a heavy polystone figure, and you get a light PVC (not rubber) figure, sure, you should definitely return it. If you equate lightness with cheapness, and you think you then overpaid, ok I guess, but it's a display piece, right? But if you can manage to get past all that, like many have, set it up and have it looking great, I don't see why the material would continue to be a negative that would continually nag and taunt you without end from across the man cave.

Just buy what you like. If you have to ask randon people on a forum, then that's probably a sign not to buy. Stick to the pieces that truly wow you, and youll have a damn fine collection with minimal turnover.

I wanted to ask those who actual own it because a figure can look much better in person like QuiGon said. Before I shell out money for a piece, I wanted to get people's opinions on him. I am a big batman and superman fan, but with prices being what they are, you have to chose wisely. Nothing wrong with that. I ended up getting him for $225.00 shipped and looking forward to it. Thanks to SammyG for his input and help outside of this thread.

Last edited:
I noticed that Sideshow added a customer quote to one of the images. Have they done that before? They must be desperate to get rid of this.

Thanks for the pics QuiGon. He looks really good. PVC or not lol. Best 225.00 I probably ever spent outside of getting Sideshow feedback for 250.00 shipped.

I noticed that Sideshow added a customer quote to one of the images. Have they done that before? They must be desperate to get rid of this.

They're also using him for a lot of contests.... So they defiantly have a lot left in inventory...

At almost $800 million I don't think people were luke warm to the movie.... I just think the hard core comic book guys were negative because they wanted a continuation of Reeves Superman story... And they hated that MOS showed Superman with some flaws as he's still learning to be Superman.

IMO MOS was the best Superman movie to date even over Reeves.... I thought it had a great combination of story/action.... were Superman Returns was all story with basically no action. And then the Reeves version just had way to many cringe worthy moments in it....

Last edited:
Mine is shipped, unfortunately by fed ex ground. Man they are slow. Hopefully arrives by Monday. Shipped from NJ to me in Arizona. Here's hoping for fast slow ground delivery lol. Also my modern age bats shipped. Going to be a good week.

Back