Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're only doing 100 statues (I believe), and they tell you these are not for commercial use and if your buying it, is because your starting up a statue company and your using it as sample to try and strike a deal with DC to sell them. So I guess technically that's legal. ((( Shrug )))

I was wondering if that was their way of getting around the legal issues. Was wondering why they posted that statement. Makes sense now.

Since this thread has just about run its course, and if we can't start a new one, I say we use this one to discuss this piece at least for now, since there's at least some enthusiastic interest. And by the way, if custom pieces like this are legal to produce, I don't see why we can't have a thread, but I digress...

The piece ships from China apparently, which causes some concern for me. I'm not sure if the artists themselves are based in China as well (doubtful), but if the pieces we're seeing in sneak peaks are prototypes, with the 100 or 150 piece run to be manufactured and shipped from China, then we could be on the same roller coaster we always ride with Sideshow releases. Who knows what the statues we actually get will look like.

My (admittedly limited) knowledge of this piece was that each one was hand made and painted by the artists, hence the price tag. If that's not the case I might have to ease back off the gang plank in terms of ordering this. Can anyone show me the error in my thinking?

I think folks were very happy with the Wolvie statue the company produced previously...

wolvie_zpsraoak4gr.jpg

So I really love this iteration of superman. I've watched MoS countless times. I have the SS PF.... yes the face does't look like Henry (I don't care that it's PVC and the suit is amazing, so shut up :) !). I was considering getting the resinworx piece (which, BTW, I am pretty sure is NOT legal with no license, for the record), but I still don't see Henry's face in it as much as I think I should. Am I too picky? Doing a comic character like wolvie is one thing... trying to match the face of a real person apparently is another....

So I really love this iteration of superman. I've watched MoS countless times. I have the SS PF.... yes the face does't look like Henry (I don't care that it's PVC and the suit is amazing, so shut up :) !). I was considering getting the resinworx piece (which, BTW, I am pretty sure is NOT legal with no license, for the record), but I still don't see Henry's face in it as much as I think I should. Am I too picky? Doing a comic character like wolvie is one thing... trying to match the face of a real person apparently is another....

Hard to tell without a finished painted portrait, the one they show on their website is from a distance so it makes it hard to see all the detail, but from a distance it looks like Henry Cavill IMO

Hard to tell without a finished painted portrait, the one they show on their website is from a distance so it makes it hard to see all the detail, but from a distance it looks like Henry Cavill IMO

Their photos are pretty crappy, TBH. Makes it hard to tell. Face looks too narrow, just like SS, BTW, IMO. I would think someone selling something for 900 dollars a pop would post better pics though :(

The head appears exactly like hot toys.
Not like there's anything wrong with it since hot toys was perfect and one of the best ht sculpt.
But a difference would have been cool.

The head appears exactly like hot toys.
Not like there's anything wrong with it since hot toys was perfect and one of the best ht sculpt.
But a difference would have been cool.

my thought's exactly. looks like a scanned and enlarged version of the HT head. With such a high price tag, would've been nice to have something that looks a bit more original

my thought's exactly. looks like a scanned and enlarged version of the HT head. With such a high price tag, would've been nice to have something that looks a bit more original

Precisely. We've seen many cases of artists sculpting the same actor/character, and you can always tell the subtle differences even if its the same character...like Dexter, Heath Joker, Bruce Lee, Christian Bale, etc...
But I think you're right...I think they used the Hot Toys headsculpt and just blew it up to 1/4.

I remember Alex Pereira showing this face like 2 years ago on Statue Forums, I doubt it's a Hot Toy copy, I'm pretty sure it's all original... It's just so well done it's easy to compare it to the HT's one.

Last edited:
It's sculpted by Frank Tzeng, I think. They were collaborating on this a few years ago.

I remember Alex Pereira showing this face like 2 years ago on Statue Forums, I doubt it's a Hot Toy copy, I'm pretty sure it's all original... It's just so well done it's easy to compare it to the HT's one.

Back