Sideshow Star Wars Backlash

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gdb said:
I think there's two valid complaints that the haters have. You've nailed one of them. I don't think a desire to be able to hold in your hands, look at it at the store and then decide at your leisure whether you're going to add something to your collection is a lazy one (I believe for some people it's a ritual), but the inability to do so is a valid complaint. And being forced to log on-line during a work day at exactly 10:00 is only insult to injury.

The other is being excluded. Some of these people are diehard Star Wars collectors who, I'm sure, feel that that they have done their part for the hobby who now feel unfairly shut out.

Mind you, I'm not making these arguments myself here. I cheered the announcement and am willing to jump through hoops to get the figures. But I respect the haters' arguement.

I don't even think that argument stands up, I mean standing in line at Midnight to get a figure or go stand in line at 5am to get a number for a figure.
Like I said people like to complain just to complain.

Viking28 said:
I think this was asked already, why is this a "backlash"?

I think it can be considered a moderate backlash among the vocal minority of a historically hard-to-please community that nevertheless buys anything with the Star Wars logo stamped on it.
I think most of us Star Wars fans(particularly on these boards) are more than happy.

Customikey said:
I think it can be considered a moderate backlash among the vocal minority of a historically hard-to-please community that nevertheless buys anything with the Star Wars logo stamped on it.
I think most of us Star Wars fans(particularly on these boards) are more than happy.

Word.

:D lol.... I agree... The crazed minions I ran into at Toys R Us for the midnight madness unveiling of figures almost turned me off to collecting. They were all mean spirited and solitary. No one seemed to be having a good time.. They were just half asleep and chanting... "Must have all figures.... must have all figures.."

I thought I stumbled onto the set of 'Land of the Dead' or something. But this board's members... cool... I know if we all were hanging together, much alcohol would be consumed and much joy would be had by all!!

I wasn't at any of the midnight stuff, but I came to WalMart later that day to get my stuff--there were some people there and they seemed pretty nice and not that creapy. But, my brother, who was a manager at WalMart and was working that night said there were some creapy people:

*Creapy Star Wars Fan slinks out of shadows*
"Is the Star Wars stuff out yet?"
"No"
*Creapy Star Wars Fan slinks back into shadows*

darthviper107 said:
*Creapy Star Wars Fan slinks out of shadows*
"Is the Star Wars stuff out yet?"
"No"
*Creapy Star Wars Fan slinks back into shadows*

I think that was me!!

Viking28 said:
I don't even think that argument stands up, I mean standing in line at Midnight to get a figure or go stand in line at 5am to get a number for a figure.

I agree that some people like to bash just to bash -- just look at the Han's head haters horde.

But unfortunately, I don't follow your analogy. If you're talking about a Midnight madness sale for figures that will also be available later, well, they will be available later, won't they? There will be plenty on shelves for the fans to browse -- physically browse -- before they decide to buy or not so I don't see how that relates to figures that may be completely sold out before they even come out.

Believe it or not, some people don't want to commit to spending upwards of $50 months before they even get to see what constitues a toy. Some poeple like to make a choice based on holding a potential purchace in their hands and looking on it with their own eyes and I think they resent feeling like they've had that option, which they've been taking for granted for so long, taken away from them.

And if SSC thinks that there are only 7750 people in the world who want a 12" Luke, they are out of touch. Sideshow isn't responsible that everyone who wants one can have one, their responsibilty is to Sideshow, but those that are excluded should be allowed to gripe. IMHO.

much alcohol would be consumed and much joy would be had by all!!

I'm in.

Joy & alcohol if only sideshow did 1:1 scale PF versions of these, then i'd be very happy and very drunk, very very drunk & very happy

They can own a Luke. Not just a Sideshow Luke. It really is that simple. They envy what they can't have or can't afford or won't make the effort for. Making excuses like:

"I can't touch it before I buy it..."
"online ordering times are not for me..."
"I been here all along...how can these figures exist and I am not able to get them/afford them?"

...weak arguments.

There are toy collectors and then there are collectible collectors. Just because these are 1/6 it doesn't mean they are 12" figures/toys. They look like alike but they are not the same. A collectible is collectible because of it's limited nature. That's part of the premium we pay for. Those who fail to understand this concept complain. Let them do it and just ignore them.

gdb said:
I agree that some people like to bash just to bash -- just look at the Han's head haters horde.

But unfortunately, I don't follow your analogy. If you're talking about a Midnight madness sale for figures that will also be available later, well, they will be available later, won't they? There will be plenty on shelves for the fans to browse -- physically browse -- before they decide to buy or not so I don't see how that relates to figures that may be completely sold out before they even come out.

Believe it or not, some people don't want to commit to spending upwards of $50 months before they even get to see what constitues a toy. Some poeple like to make a choice based on holding a potential purchace in their hands and looking on it with their own eyes and I think they resent feeling like they've had that option, which they've been taking for granted for so long, taken away from them.

And if SSC thinks that there are only 7750 people in the world who want a 12" Luke, they are out of touch. Sideshow isn't responsible that everyone who wants one can have one, their responsibilty is to Sideshow, but those that are excluded should be allowed to gripe. IMHO.

Well not all those will be avaliable and yes I was talking about the midnight sales ect ect. those willing to do those kind of things to secure a figure or a vader, well come on. And they want to complain about ordering from a computer at a certain time? They would rather have to go from store to store every week searching through the racks just hoping that the store employee didn't grab them in the back (to sale on ebay) so they could have to choice to say no when it's in their hand?

And again these are not just some SW toys Sideshow stated from the very begining that these were collectibles not some mass produced* figures

To get to the point SW collectibles have been around way before Sideshow started this line. So they should be use to having limited editions.

Story time, I met some SW fans that flow across the country to go to CIII and I asked "Did you get the G.G. CIII Stormtrooper bust?" and their reply:
"No (editor note had a tone of "as if"), but I got the ROTS Clone Trooper figure for $80! YEA MAN!(insert high five)"

Viking28 said:

As I read posts on both side of the arguement, I'm agreeing with this point more and more. :D

Another bit of story time: i was at the midnight madness for Episode I (the first and only time I went to one) and everyone was very nice. THis was in FL (I went to FSU) and there was such a crowd that I couldn't get to the traughs. So I just called out, "Hey! Would someone hand me Sidious, Palpatine and Valorum?" Boom! They were neatly passed to me and I went my merry way. Okay, I also got the Sith Speeder. I figured that would be the "ultimate" Darth Maul. Silly me.
But the point is, everyone was very nice. It's kind of like these boards, really. Everyone wants to get at these figures, but, limited though they be, everyone is willing to give everyone else info they need. No one tries to hord information in the hopes that several of us will remain uninformed and thus out of the running for that special figure.
That's what I call a cool collecting community. Y'all rock.

SolidLiquidFox said:
They envy what they can't have or can't afford or won't make the effort for. Making excuses like:

"I can't touch it before I buy it..."
"online ordering times are not for me..."
"I been here all along...how can these figures exist and I am not able to get them/afford them?"

...weak arguments.

There are toy collectors and then there are collectible collectors. Just because these are 1/6 it doesn't mean they are 12" figures/toys. They look like alike but they are not the same. A collectible is collectible because of it's limited nature. That's part of the premium we pay for. Those who fail to understand this concept complain. Let them do it and just ignore them.

I absolutely agree with this!

gdb said:

Unfortunately, that's a situation they are just going to have to get used to, if they plan on collecting high end or specialty market stuff. There are no stores to carry it anymore. People who love figures from Mezco, NECA, SOTA and McToys are learning it already.

gdb said:

Well it's a good thing they have that option with Sideshow then. You are never "commited" to buy anything. After you have it in your hands and have looked at it if you decide you dont like it Sideshow has a very simple and generous return policy.

gdb said:

Sideshow does not think that there are only 7750 people that want a 12" Luke, and to think that is redicules. SS has to ballance consumer demand with a number that still retains some level of a limited nature. If it were my company I would have stopped at 5000. Nobody is excluded from buying these, Sideshow sends out notices and posts on there website when every Star Wars figure will become available. The only person to blame if you miss out on a figure is yourself. The SS exclusives mey sell out in just a short time but the regular editions have all been available for long enough to purchase with out taking part in the mad dash at 10:00am. Therefore I have no sympathy for anyone that missed out on a figure nor do I feel the need to listen to them complain about it.

Jesse

Jesseawilson said:
Sideshow does not think that there are only 7750 people that want a 12" Luke, and to think that is redicules. SS has to ballance consumer demand with a number that still retains some level of a limited nature. If it were my company I would have stopped at 5000. Nobody is excluded from buying these, Sideshow sends out notices and posts on there website when every Star Wars figure will become available. The only person to blame if you miss out on a figure is yourself. The SS exclusives mey sell out in just a short time but the regular editions have all been available for long enough to purchase with out taking part in the mad dash at 10:00am. Therefore I have no sympathy for anyone that missed out on a figure nor do I feel the need to listen to them complain about it.

Exactly Jesse!!

The prequels really killed my Star Wars spirit...well you can add Return of the Jedi to that..:rolleyes:

I will buy most of any Vader stuff and the armored Imperial guys and some of the "classic" characters but have no interest at all in the prequel characters. Check that- I'd probably buy Queen Amidala figures if they were released in all of her different royal gowns. Those were visually striking.

BB

Back