Sideshow Sold Out!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares!?... If it becomes second chance thats great for people waiting in line. People do cancel, i know once something comes on preorder ill order it and sit on it and think a while about the piece.

You need to look at the edition size also. edition sizes back then in now are completely different. But in all fair ness SS marvel line is Main stream. Do you know how many people would be PISSED if they did edition sizes of 150?! Look at white elektra. There was so much DRAMA about this piece it was crazy some people were saying there done with sideshow crying about it. BOOOYURNS

That is his right to complain.Why are you mean to everyone?Moderators should have deleted your post as this is pure impudence!

How was I mean? I asked him a series of questions and stated that I thought this was worse than the previous thread he made. Do I not have a to right to question his post similar to his right to complain? And do I also not have a right state my opinion on his thread? I never attacked him personally.

And please sir, tell me exactly who on this board I am mean too. I would truly like to know.....:impatient:

Who cares!?... If it becomes second chance thats great for people waiting in line. People do cancel, i know once something comes on preorder ill order it and sit on it and think a while about the piece.

You need to look at the edition size also. edition sizes back then in now are completely different. But in all fair ness SS marvel line is Main stream. Do you know how many people would be PISSED if they did edition sizes of 150?! Look at white elektra. There was so much DRAMA about this piece it was crazy some people were saying there done with sideshow crying about it. BOOOYURNS
I care because its a back handed business practice. Did you read what i posted before. i think that there is a psychology behind this.

Also, i think it is the worst if your ordering it just for the sake of it selling out to turn a quick profit. This is what is wrong with collecting. People are always trying to manipulate the market to get as much as they can for a particular piece.

How was I mean? I asked him a series of questions and stated that I thought this was worse than the previous thread he made. Do I not have a to right to question his post similar to his right to complain? And do I also not have a right state my opinion on his thread? I never attacked him personally.

And please sir, tell me exactly who on this board I am mean too. I would truly like to know.....:impatient:
I understand why he voiced his opinions, he just didn't understand the argument. Do you understand it now? Do you need me to explain again? i don't mine.

I care because its a back handed business practice. Did you read what i posted before. i think that there is a psychology behind this.

Back then, maybe 2yrs ago or so, sold out is really sold out. But now there's tons of flippers and people who order and cancel, which cause SS to raise ES a bit to allow true customers to order. By the time the filppers and other cancel, the rest of the ES end up in in-stock/second chance. Add on top of this is the bad economy...

Disclaimer: I neither condone or admire these creatures....
Observe:
picture.php

I understand it as...

Sideshow keeps a certain alotment of exclusives/figures in their stock in case people have broken pieces, or damaged ones that sideshow will replace. This serves as an insurance policy for them, then once the window closes for returns and exchanges then sideshow releases said pieces to the public.

Am I right?

Well, to begin...This is just something that i noticed. Every time a marvel statue comes out, that day the exclusive sells out, or shortly after. Ebay + sites mark up the price almost immediately, then when it ships from sideshow, wait list get called then it appears again on the website. This is what i noticed and i am bringing to your attention.

I don't know why this happens. It may be that 200 out of 750 people canceled their gambit PF but does this seem likely? Possibly! I don't know. They don't give us an exact number of how many are left. They tell us immediately when they sell out though.

Their maybe a psychology to this. Sideshow knows people see doom + IM going for around a 1000. They may purposely only state they it sells out to get you to get a wait list reservation. People think it sells out so they are happy just to get one of these statues, when in fact they are relying on you placing a reservation. I could be completely wrong. There is no definite evidence, just something that i noticed.

People might buy it because they think its going to sell out so they can sell it and make a profit. This could also be the problem.

This is my opinion: "The bottom line is that there is a problem with the phrase SOLD OUT. If you are not definite about buying, then you shouldn't be able to cancel it without a deep penalty. This could be beneficial to the collector.

Your right. I would like to see better discounts though. Free shipping is ok, and the 15 dollars off they have right now on select items is ok. I would like to see like a 30-40 percent off sale. That would definitely get me to buy a couple on my want list.

Simple reason why Sideshow does not offer 30-40% off sales....they don't have to. Here we are in the worst economic climate since the great depression, and folks are still spending their limited disposable income on SS collectibles. Sure SS will offer a "sale" here or there, or offer free shipping. But why offer a 30-40% sale when you don't have to?

Offering a 30-40 discount is a tremendous hit to the margins and bottom line of each piece sold. Sideshow would have to seriously increase the overall volume of pieces sold to overcome the negative impact on margins and profits.

In most instances you are going to offer such a drastic sale because A) You have product you simply cannot move and the ongoing inventory carrying cost outweigh holding on to the product in hopes of getting a better price B) You aggressively overprice your product and offer then offer a 30-40% sale. In reality the discount simply brings down the price of the product to match current market prices. But people overlook that fact simply because they love the concept of getting something on sale.

Lastly, in regards to your original question. Of course SS is playing marketing games with products being declared as sold out or on the wait list. It's one of the oldest marketing techniques in existence...people want what they can't have (or perceive that they can't have).

Thank you for the serious post, I appreciate it. I agree with you that there MAY be a marketing game going on, i just wanted to see if anyone else noticed it. The conclusion that i wanted to come to is that this practice is ultimately hurting the real collector. If a company can get its product to a price way about cost, then it will hurt the collector. The collector fears that they should get it before the price skyrockets like previous ones, but the price is already high from the manipulated market price. The price should come down if the stock is still there, like it was when they gave 50 percent discounts on products a year or so ago, but we wouldn't know because we don't know whats in their inventory. The collector ultimately pays more, and if this selling practice doesn't work and the company has to drop the price, the resale value also goes down for the collector.

Not everyone lives the states or Canada. Ss doesn't ship anywhere therefore if you live in one of those marked countries and want an ex ur stuck paying that price.

Im against flipping statues but if someone if will to pay that price that's there business not yours. It's not just ss look at bowen statues. You have to also consider that bay guy is going to buy that statue at full price get it ship pay taxes on it. And they re ship it out to another person, and you should think that all that should be free??

Supply and demand... Look at tickle me emlo for god sakes or the nintendo wii. There not limited but the demand was strong at the time, it can happen to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back