SideShow Ringwraiths on Steed EXCLUSIVE RARE Edition

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that the high ES keeps coming up. I can barely find any of these statues for sale on a given day on eBay. I mean this is an odd phenomenon, low ES, high ES - these statues are not that common on the secondary market. I sometimes doubt they even made all 9500 Saurons given how few show up for sale. Breakage maybe? Who knows. The point is these recasts likely do little to suck what's left of the value in some of these statues. I don't think you can argue that making a bigger, better Sauron or RWOS will not suck more out of it. My reading of the statue collecting hobby is that it works differently than other collectible areas. It has little time depth and its very much a consumer, in the moment type of pursuit. Few would be willing to replace their 1978 vintage carded Star Wars figure with a better articulated, new Hasbro version of the same figure because of nostalgia. I don't see that here. I see emphasis on the latest and greatest and the companies are all upping their game all the time. Then again you have to figure there will not be another Sauron EVER after this release so it may be a safe purchase. I don't mean to harp on the investment side but when you plop down 7-800 bucks for something it would be nice to have it not depreciate so significantly.

Statues that have been around as long as the RWOS and Sauron [5-10 years] are now pretty well exclusively in the hands of those who want them and intend on keeping them. This would explain why you do not see many of these, or most other SSW statues available these days. You could also argue that some of these statues, being valued at 25% of their initial value are simply not worth selling.
In order for a SS PF version of Sauron or the RWOS to have any impact on the current values of the SSW versions you would need a large number of those with the SSW to sell their's and replace them with SS's versions, and thus flood the market with SSW Sauron and RWOS statues.....and this isn't going to happen. First off, many people prefer 'pure' statues to mixed media, many people have space issues and therefore prefer 1/6 scale, and many people just plain love their SSW versions.....and with good reason as these are two of the best statues ever made by SSW. I just don't see a huge number of those with the SSW versions willing to 'dump' theirs in order to purchase SS's significantly more expensive PF versions. :dunno

And I think you are mistaken in thinking there will never be another Sauron produced.....I have no doubt SS will produce a 1/6 maquette somewhere down the road. :lecture

Last edited:
Sauron maquette, could be but how does that fit with them saying the dio line has already been merged into the maquette line? Or maybe they didn't say this.

I wasn't talking replacement either, I was talking new blood, sort of like me, that are given the choice between chasing a 10 year old piece or a brand new item.

all valuation concerns aside, the fact of the matter is that they are selling a recast. That is illegal. They did not pay for the license, whereas Sideshow Weta had to. They did not pay for the cost of creating the piece, which Sideshow Weta did.

Sideshow's piece is their own creation, and their own artist sculpted it.
It is a copyrighted piece (an original work), and therefore any unauthorized reproduction of it is illegal. They shouldn't be able to gain from their illegal actions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back