Sideshow Ralph McQuarrie Boba Fett Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, looks a bit too dark and this'll be my first 1/5 piece in my collection and I'm worried it'll just look "too small" next to my PF's. I guess I'll find out Tuesday...

I am quite disappointed with this one if it is that dark in person. I was expecting this:

Attachments

• star-wars-ralph-mcquarrie-boba-fett-statue-2003721-02jpg-9b4193_765w.jpg
    star-wars-ralph-mcquarrie-boba-fett-statue-2003721-02jpg-9b4193_765w.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 125
I am quite disappointed with this one if it is that dark in person. I was expecting this:

I am kind of the opposite. I like the contrast of the grey Fett and the white Trooper, with both having cool shading. Throw in the black Vader into the trio and I think it'll be a very cool, albeit stylized, display. I'm in for all three, have Stormie already and should have Fett next week. Thanks for the great pics, Fury!

I am kind of the opposite. I like the contrast of the grey Fett and the white Trooper, with both having cool shading. Throw in the black Vader into the trio and I think it'll be a very cool, albeit stylized, display. I'm in for all three, have Stormie already and should have Fett next week. Thanks for the great pics, Fury!

that's cool, and I agree the 3 will look amazing together. BUT, that is not what mcquarrie envisioned for fett, which kind of defeats the whole purpose in my view.

I don't understand why they paint shadows and highlights on a piece such as this instead of leaving it white and letting natural light create the shadows and highlights on the sculpt. Maybe some subtle tonal changes would work but someone got too creative here with this one.

Seem like someone may have had the idea of going heavy with the gray so this piece would contrast with both the storm trooper and Vader when all three are displayed together. This becomes an issue for those of us who were only planning on picking up this one statue from the series.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mine gets delivered on Thursday. I'll unpack him to inspect, but he'll go into storage until March when we move. Judging by the pics here, he looks great.

Just opened it up. This is not my permanent display but I figured some people might want to see these two side by side. This pic was taken with a lousy galaxy S5 camera.

6b43188aaf22112c5f4c77d99a8717c5.jpg

I have no issues with the paint application. Part of the impetus behind this line has been to bring the McQuarrie illustrations to life in a way they hadn't been previously. Aside from contrasting the piece with the other two in this series, it's unlikely that a Mandalorian mercenary's armor would be gleaming. In much the same way that Boba Fett's armor is battle-scarred in the films, I think the gray tone makes sense from a design perspective.

So you are saying the gray represents dirt and wear and tear?

his armor is infact gleaming, it's the undersuit that's dirty (probably the part that can get washed :p)

Having had this for a bit now I have to say I like it quite a lot. I don't think the darker paint is meant to be weathering, but rather shading as you would see on a sketch. I suppose that is open to interpretation, which suits me just fine because of where the source inspiration for this series is derived. It is far more artistic and stylistic than it is realistic. But I understand why some people won't like it and that is ok too.

Overall the paint on mine looks nicely done, but not the sharp refined style paintjob that is present on the hot toys quarter scale. I wouldn't like this if it were meant to be a realistic representation of a movie character which is why I have always previously avoided premium formats. I do sorta wish I had picked up the mythos vader, fett, and kenobi to display with these. As it is the three Mcquarrie statues will probably be the only ones I ever buy.

Fett arrived safely. I think he looks great and I like the look of his undersuit a bit of a darker shade. Together, these three will look great.

IMG_2981.jpg

I don't really think it's SS taking liberties, just the factory praying a bit too much. Just shading gone too far. v0v though nothing you can do, if you like it you like it ;p I wasn't a huge fan before, it doesn't really make it particularly worse in my mind but I would prefer the less dark look. I'd be passing either way, if I wasn't I'd prob just live with it.

it isn't artistic license. the factory got it wrong.

look at 1:53 in the video and compare that to the final product.

I doubt it's a factory error. What's shown in that particular video is a prototype. Looking at a more recent video, we are shown the final shipping products in the series (excluding, as noted by Susan, the Vader prototype) and the Fett on display there is the Fett customers receive.

we'll agree to disagree. what she showed was the factory blunder. not the end of the world...it still looks cool, but lets not make excuses for an obvious mistake.

He's not saying you're in particular is darker than it should be. Just that all of them are. Of course the recent one in the video is gonna match, it's the same ones! :p

Could be, could not be ;p who knows. Generally it's a best to try to keep to what you advertised unless there's some licensing or production reason to change it. Or if in general your customers have a desire for the change. Though you would normally also keep your customer abreast of any such changes as well. I don't really see a good reason to change it.

Regardless it doesn't really matter if the factory did it or SS did it. Who cares if the factory ****ed it up? The factory is Sideshow, it is quite literally their job to make sure that the factory does the job properly. Do you (or other people) like it better with the more shading? If so great! Do you prefer the less shaded version? Well it sucks, they probably should tell people of the change and give them the option to cancel without a penalty. Though really most companies in the statue business suck at this. Don't really care one way or another? Well then also great :)

In general the "changes" that SS do are bad. This is could go either way though, so I guess it's just a preference. Even if it's on purpose, it's certainly a **** up on SS' part to change something and not inform customers/allow full refund cancellation.

I can't imagine anyone who ordered this will cancel due to the darker colour. hell, I still want it, but will wait for a discount down the road.

but, shame on SS for not offering complete discounts to anyone not happy with the change, if that is in fact correct.

Back