Sideshow, please spare no expense with Hoth Leia

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way to know, But we can all pretty much tell. :cool:

Well that's fine but I personally don't think HT doing Star Wars would result in this massive jump some think it would. We would probably be paying about $120-$150 for a basic figure (say a Jedi, maybe Ki-Adi Mundi) whose sculpt probably wouldn't be that different from the SS version, maybe some skin texture. Would likely come with one set of hands, maybe two. And just the lightsabers as accessories. So we would be paying maybe $30 or $40 more from a figure that (to me) wouldn't be that drastically different from SS's to justify the price. As this is a thread about Hoth Leia, again I don't know if they can really outdo SS in this department. Fairly easy costume, shouldn't have trouble with the head (then again Im fine with both Boushh and ANH Leia) and they have a fairly nicely scaled body. As long as the prices stay around where they are Im fine with a lot of what SS does. These are just toys after all :lol

I think Hoth Leia would be the best Leia from SSC. The puffyness of the Hoth clothing plus her vest would balance out the odd head to neck proportions with the femaile Buck as well as hide the midsection of the female Buck, I think it'd be a sharp picture.

I'd definitely want full Hoth though, hair up, vest, not just the jumpsuit with her hair down for fleeing Bespin, though, if they just pack in 2 portraits, that'd be nice.

If HT were to get a 1/6 Star Wars license, I'd like to see their line ammend the Sideshow line and not start over again. The HT line would probably produce maybe a half dozen figures a year, which is fine given the price they'd come at, but at so few per year, it could be awhile before getting desired characters.

I have a feeling that starting with SDCC, the Sideshow Star Wars line is going to become a hybrid of Hot Toys and Sideshow; I'm sure Darth Vader was done with some HT assistance. To me that's the route to go, both companies have certain strengths and weakness but they fortunately don't share the same weaknesses and some strenghts balance the weaknesses of the others. If the two work together, that'd be the best product on the market.

Really, if I weren't double dipping on the mains (basically trying to recreate the Vintage figure line) there's a good chance Id be out after Vader, the droids and Chewbacca. HT are probably helping with the first 3 and the jury is out on the 4th. Ideally at SDCC we'd see Vader, the droids, a Stormie and a clone.. but odds are against that one :lol

I think Vader'll be it for ground-breaking (for Sideshow) figures, with the rest of the offering falling into the more standard stuff. I expect maybe a Clone Trooper or 2, but that is 90% done with the same figure as CW Obi-Wan. I could see the droids or Chewie as a target for SDCC 2009 or TF 2009.

HT doing SW? No please! The flood of SSC 12"SW figures we'd see on Ebay would cause an unseen devaluation of the SSC figures, and my collection would be worth nothing at all! Heh, it is already bad enough as it is, with the SSC figures being worth only half the price you paid for them once you have them!! :D

Last edited:
If HT were to get a 1/6 Star Wars license, I'd like to see their line ammend the Sideshow line and not start over again. The HT line would probably produce maybe a half dozen figures a year, which is fine given the price they'd come at, but at so few per year, it could be awhile before getting desired characters.

This is my gripe now, imagine!! We would never see soem key characters or some really out of left feild new ones.

IF HT took over Id drop the line all together, Ive put tom much time and mullah in the SS line so far, to start over would be crazy.

HT doing SW? No please! The flood of SSC 12"SW figures we'd see on Ebay would cause an unseen devaluation of the SSC figures, and my collection would be worth nothing at all! Heh, it is already bad enough as it is, with the SSC figures being worth only half the price you paid for them once you have them!! :D

That is why you buy what you like, not because of some perceived value.

And Josh, I never told you that you were wearing rose colored glasses dude. Looks like a Freudian slip to me.:D

No, you didn't. I was just beating you or anyone to the punch.

"A Freudian slip is like saying one thing, but meaning your mother."

So as you can see what I said was not that. :D

Well that's fine but I personally don't think HT doing Star Wars would result in this massive jump some think it would. We would probably be paying about $120-$150 for a basic figure (say a Jedi, maybe Ki-Adi Mundi) whose sculpt probably wouldn't be that different from the SS version, maybe some skin texture. Would likely come with one set of hands, maybe two. And just the lightsabers as accessories. So we would be paying maybe $30 or $40 more from a figure that (to me) wouldn't be that drastically different from SS's to justify the price. As this is a thread about Hoth Leia, again I don't know if they can really outdo SS in this department. Fairly easy costume, shouldn't have trouble with the head (then again Im fine with both Boushh and ANH Leia) and they have a fairly nicely scaled body. As long as the prices stay around where they are Im fine with a lot of what SS does. These are just toys after all :lol

I agree. As much as I do actually like HT I don't see where we'd be getting THAT much more for the money. Their stuff cost more for not a lot more. Either way I'm gonna enjoy my SS SW figs and my HT figs as I get them.

That is why you buy what you like, not because of some perceived value.

Ya, I can't imagine collecting things like this with monetary value in mind. I've been curious from time to time how much things go for, but when I spend my money on it, my only goal is to have something all to myself to enjoy as much as I like. It'd be nice if I could sell it off for a good penny if I ever find myself in a huge financial crisis where my only option is to sell this stuff, but otherwise I'm taking it to the grave.

I never intended this thread to become a Hot Toys vs Sideshow debate. Although imagining the artists from two of the top collectible companies going head-to-head to make the most visually compelling 1:6 SW replicas ever would be pretty damn amazing. I can only imagine the innovation we would see from that type of competition! :google

But this thread is more about what I know Sideshow artists are capable of, and what I would love to see come to fruition. If I was an artist at Sideshow, I would see Hot Toys products and say to myself, "Yeah, that is really cool, but wait until you see what we are capable of."

I am sure Hot Toys products cost more partly because of better cloth materials and tailoring. But it may also be that customers in affluent asian countries are already used to buying collectible figures within that price range.

When you break down a Hot Toys figure, the majority of what make them 'superior' is in tailoring and cloth materials. Other things are about equal to Sideshow. In fact, a Buck body is made of a higher grade plastic than the TrueType. Try bending a TrueType's knee joint a little too far and see what happens. Hairline cracks are common. I have never seen a Buck body with a hairline crack. Same thing if you dremel the plastic. The TrueType melts away like butter while the plastic of a Buck puts up a fight.

Now, I could go into the pros and cons of a True Type vs a Buck...of course the TrueType wins by a large margin with the big exception of the shoulders and lack of height variation. Although I suppose the comparison is a moot point with the Prometheus on the horizon. Let's just hope it uses the same plastic from a Buck and not a True Type.

But getting back to why I started this thread. I would like to have one ultimate figure to represent Leia on display. The Empire Strikes Back has always been a favorite of mine...for SW movies...and easily in the top 10 of any movies I've ever seen, with plenty of childhood nostalgia thrown in. I have always felt that the character personalities of Luke, Yoda, Vader, Han, and Leia were richest in this film. I only wish the 'feel' of ESB could have extended over to ROTJ (but of course we had a different director, more of Lucas' involvement in the script / directing, etc, etc:rolleyes:)

Anyway, I always loved the flirtatious banter, love / hate relationship between Han and Leia. From the moments in the medical room on Hoth, all the way to the --'I love you!'--'I know.'-- their interactions together were entertaining to watch on screen.

Leia's snow suit is cool because it is the first time you see her wearing something other than a royal gown and it is a functional wear that is more conducive to the environment of the SW universe.

This figure will be a challenge, no doubt. First and foremost is the outfit. Cloth materials and tailoring is Sideshow's weakest area when they are compared to other top 1:6 companies. The entire outfit will be difficult to achieve in 1:6 scale with subtle insulation to make it look like it's designed for cold weather. There are also numerous visual details on the clothing. The vest, in particular, has a distinguishable diamond pleated pattern.

And then you have the base body... Now Sideshow...I know you guys have seen the Hot Toys female, which IMO is the most realisticly proportioned female 1:6 body on the market. Please analyze this body carefully and make a female Prometheus. I'm sure I am not the only Sideshow fan that has regretfully had to skip all of your Sideshow female character offerings because of the Female Buck. OMG, to think of what Aayla could have been!:monkey2 But once you have the new female Prometheus built, a talented sculptor can finally make a proportioned female head whose first name isn't Bobble.

:family
Now get to it! ;)
:family

hoth43ci4.jpg

Last edited:
Back