Sideshow, please spare no expense with Hoth Leia

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to to face it: from Sideshow, you can only get Sideshow quality. And, as long as they realized their figures at Sideshow prices, there was nothing wrong. Unfortunately, the Sideshow prices are getting closer to HT standards with ever other figure, which cannot be said about the quality of their figures...
Also, the line is getting boring. They are really stretching it. Guys, we are being milked!

Its just common sense huh? :rolleyes: :lol

I don't have a doubt that SS can do it. The bigger question is are they doing it right now?

HT does make mistakes too depsite the Jesus Christ outlook people take with them.

Yeah, I'm afraid it is just common sense Josh. There are only one or two SS figures produced so far that I would compare to HT. A couple more if you can include doing repaints and slight mods to them.

I know you think HT fans believe HT can do no wrong but the fact is they believe HT does very, very, little wrong whereas SS does a lot wrong. And as SS's price increases those uncorrected mistakes become amplified.

A quick comparison from my point of view:

Clothing fit and material choice = HT has an edge especially for material
Body = TrueType kills the Buck
Piant Apps = HT over SS 99% of the time
Sculpts = HT has a slight advantage but SS is gaining ground
Accessories = About the same to me. SS's LOTR figs shine in this area

I don't hate SS, I just don't trust their abilities in the 1:6 market as much as I do HT's.

Last edited:
You have to to face it: from Sideshow, you can only get Sideshow quality. And, as long as they realized their figures at Sideshow prices, there was nothing wrong. Unfortunately, the Sideshow prices are getting closer to HT standards with ever other figure, which cannot be said about the quality of their figures...
Also, the line is getting boring. They are really stretching it. Guys, we are being milked!

After several years and no armor, I don't count CW Obi, and some off looking sculpts, and no upgrade to the new body in sight, at least no indication we will see it used for Ki, then I have to agree completely that we ARE being milked.

I know you think HT fans believe HT can do no wrong but the fact is they believe HT does very, very, little wrong whereas SS does a lot wrong. And as SS's price increases those uncorrected mistakes become amplified.

A quick comparison from my point of view:

Clothing fit and material choice = HT has an edge especially for material
Body = TrueType kills the Buck
Piant Apps = HT over SS 99% of the time
Sculpts = HT has a slight advantage but SS is gaining ground
Accessories = About the same to me. SS's LOTR figs shine in this area

I don't hate SS, I just don't trust their abilities in the 1:6 market as much as I do HT's.

:lecture OPEN YOUR EYES!

My view on this is that Sideshow is very inconsistent with their products.

They absolutely knock it out of the park with some stellar figures here and there (ROTS Kenobi, ANH Kenobi, Palpatine/Sidious, Leia Boushh), but more often than not their figures have questionable issues (zombie-eyed paint apps, mismatched hair color, monkey arms/hands, oversized heads, questionable material substitutions, etc...and of course the Buck). In the past, it was easier to swallow because SSC had prices much lower than HT (Medicom not included because they themselves have their share of serious problems--namely overpricing and brittle/fragile bodies).

Now we've entered an era where Sideshow's prices are rivaling Hot Toys, but the quality hasn't really increased to match the price in the grand scheme. Based on pictures, CW Obi-Wan and Snake Eyes look to be worth every penny, but then we have figures like ANH Luke and Ki-Adi that represent a step back in one or more areas (Ki-Adi especially for using the Buck and with very few accessories).

In these financially-strapping times, collectors by and large don't have the kind of disposeable income they had two or three years ago, so they have to be very discriminating with what they buy. They need to know that every hard-earned penny they spend is going to be well spent. I don't feel Sideshow is meeting that expectation--especially with the sharply increased prices and disproportionate quality. Hot Toys, on the other hand, is meeting those expectations. Their Dark Knight line in particular demonstrates a company that is producing a product that is worth the price being charged, and their Mark 3 Iron Man looks just as promising.

Of course, it all comes down to a simple choice: 1) either you feel a product is worth it and you buy it or 2) you don't feel it's worth the cost and you skip it. Sideshow will continue to do business as they see fit as long as it remains profitable and their items sell out. If collectors are looking to send a message to Sideshow, then b**ching and moaning alone are not going to do it. Yes, it's good for venting, and I think everyone here needs to be respectful of another's right to do so (just like they have the right to vehemently defend the product).

But if you want Sideshow to step up their game, don't buy the item if you're not happy with it. When sales start to drop, they will have to look at customers' complaints/criticisms and rectify it. But if people just complain about things and then end their rant with "...but I will/have bought it anyway", then don't be surprised that nothing changes.

So to recap:

1) Venting (even if overly harsh/"whiny") needs to be "A-OK" without others criticizng that person (don't make it personal)

2) Make a statement with your wallet: don't buy it if you don't like it

And most importantly...

Remember that this is supposed to be FUN!!! Dozens of pages arguing over tunic material isn't all that much fun. After awhile, it's a dead horse that just won't die.

Hmm...should we have a "Zombie Horse" smilie, perhaps???

So there's my two cents...for what it's worth.

Yeah, I'm afraid it is just common sense Josh. There are only one or two SS figures produced so far that I would compare to HT. A couple more if you can include doing repaints and slight mods to them.

No its not common sense. Its YOUR opinion that it can't be done but that doesn't make it common sense. You can say its common sense to expect to pay for services rendered or common sense to take a test after going through a chapter in school. However, what you're suggesting is nothing more than your POV not common sense.

You'll continue to tell me how much its common sense and how I'm wearing rose colored glasses. So I'll end it now because I guess I lack the common sense you seem to think this situation has. :rolleyes:

I know you think HT fans believe HT can do no wrong but the fact is they believe HT does very, very, [Il]ittle[/I] wrong whereas SS does a lot wrong. And as SS's price increases those uncorrected mistakes become amplified.

Well, very little or no its obvious anyways that HT Fans believe they're the next thing to JC himself. They've got some not so good figures themselves and plenty of figures where the likeness lacks or had to be recasted to be brought out (Hicks). I'm sure there are more mistakes that are out there that HT fans dont want to admit.

As far as SS making a lot of mistakes. Thats as much of a stretch as saying or the belief that HT makes little mistakes. Neither is true and the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I've got 4 HT figures and feel like I got my moneys worth on 2 of them. Now, with SS more often than not I feel like I got my moneys worth. As SS prices continue to climb I will continue to expect more.

This wasn't meant to turn into a SS vs HT debate. I actually like a lot of the work at least from the protos I've seen that HT does but I also know they make mistakes just like any other toy maker.

So this went from being a thread about a Leia figure to a debate between SS and HT. In other words... a typical SW thread. :rolleyes:

So this went from being a thread about a Leia figure to a debate between SS and HT. In other words... a typical SW thread. :rolleyes:

Well, in all fairness to the Star Wars section, this thread was doomed from post 1 since Hot Toys was called out, this was innevitable.

No. A typical SW thread is Medi vs. SS.:lecture :lol

It's really a pointless debate since HT doesn't make SW figs BUT if they did SS wouldn't have a chance if they continued with what thery're doing.

You'll continue to tell me how much its common sense and how I'm wearing rose colored glasses. So I'll end it now because I guess I lack the common sense you seem to think this situation has. :rolleyes:

And Josh, I never told you that you were wearing rose colored glasses dude. Looks like a Freudian slip to me.:D

It's really a pointless debate since HT doesn't make SW figs BUT if they did SS wouldn't have a chance if they continued with what thery're doing.

That's debatable to an extent. In some ways, Hot Toys stuff would probably be superior, but with some characters, the faults of the True Type body would make some ugly looking figures. ANH Luke for example, has so little clothing, the overly broad shoulders on the true type would make him look very awkward. The TT body is ok on figures with layers of clothing or collars that alter the shape of the shoulders, but in some cases, it's a bit of an eye sore I find compared to older HT figures. I'm hoping Prometheus offers the best of both worlds, HT quality construction with a better human shape aesthetic.

I have to say Im a lot like Josh in that I don't see why Medi and HT are worshiped as being the best and generally have little to no problems with SS. I hate that the TT has such insane shoulders and no height difference which is part of the reason my Jedi Luke went back on the Buck. I hope the Pro keeps the height differentiations and I hope we get a new female body eventually that is equal to the Pro and keeps the height differences. Could you imagine if Leia was as tall as Han, was as tall as Luke, was as tall as Vader?! :lol

That's debatable to an extent. In some ways, Hot Toys stuff would probably be superior, but with some characters, the faults of the True Type body would make some ugly looking figures. ANH Luke for example, has so little clothing, the overly broad shoulders on the true type would make him look very awkward. The TT body is ok on figures with layers of clothing or collars that alter the shape of the shoulders, but in some cases, it's a bit of an eye sore I find compared to older HT figures. I'm hoping Prometheus offers the best of both worlds, HT quality construction with a better human shape aesthetic.

Maybe. I'm going to put ANH Lukes clothes on it when i get him and see.The TT shoulders are exactly the same width as the Bucks are though.

Well, they spared no expense with luke

"As you can see from the substantial costume and accessory list, we have set out to give Star Wars collectors the most comprehensive and iconic version of Luke Skywalker ever released in 12-inches! WE HAVE SPARED NO EXPENSE in tooling and fabrication to bring you the absolute best and most detailed Luke that we can offer, despite the rising cost of manufacturing overseas."

You should put that quote in your sig. It's hilarious yet sad.:D:monkey2

Maybe. I'm going to put ANH Lukes clothes on it when i get him and see.The TT shoulders are exactly the same width as the Bucks are though.

Interesting, because Jack Sparrow and Rambo M65 both end up looking way to broad and flat shouldered to me.

Back