Sideshow PF Jack Sparrow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow PF Jack Sparrow In Progress

Not that you guys need to see close up pics, but I took some pics of my simple little set up I made for Jack Sparrow :D

Jack_1.jpg

jack_2.jpg

Looks great with the poster behind him. :rock :rock

(imagine my tone, being calm rather that confrontational for this one. sometimes it's hard to tell in text)

Got this for my wife for Christmas. I had to open it to make sure nothing was damaged. My only complaint, which may be unrealistic from a mass production point of view, is how much less detail there is in the skin (face/arms) than we're led to believe in the shots of the artist proofs.

Sideshow likes to pride themselves in producing product nearly identical to the proof, claiming nobody can tell the difference in person. They even did an article about it. But, I can say there would be no difficulty at all in me telling which one was the proof if you set the Sparrow I have here at home next to the one they shot on the Sideshow site. I feel like we pay prices that warrant what we see on the site, and the paint job quality (while still nice if not "wow") should reflect it.

Frankly, I'd rather Sideshow get a prototype back from whatever overseas producer paints these, and use that for the photo shoot, even if they don't change the pricing. It would seem far less misleading in the end, from my consumer point of view. It never fails, I'm always a bit let down when I get a Sideshow piece because of how much less impressive the production piece looks than the prototype. But, in time I'm typically happy once I've forgotten about the proof. I just wish I didn't have to go through the initial disappointment to get there. If they shot pictures of what I have here at home, when I got it I would feel better about the deal rather than drooling over what inevitably becomes a pipe dream on their website.

Yet, we all keep coming back. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the JS PF. I look at the pictures all of you took of the piece and think it's very nice. But, looking back and forth between those shots, my own purchase, and the proof they sold us on over at the web site, and I can't help but feel kind of taken. I also bought a B&W Mort, that was also well done, except the blood drippings on his shirt look more like painted on chest hair than drool because the vendor didn't paint dots but did strokes. Some of these are simple details that shouldn't add to the cost of production. Again, maybe I'm unrealistic on expectations. I don't know. :horse

Last edited:

Yeah, the poster is dry mounted. I actually won this off eBay already framed and mounted, and also included the POTC original DVD :banana thought it complimented the piece nicely

It does and if mine was displayed with wall space behind it then i'd love mine like yours. :clap

when I got it I would feel better about the deal rather than drooling over what inevitably becomes a pipe dream on their website.

I hear you. I spent lots of time looking at the pics while waiting for this piece, so my expectations were also for a statue of that quality. As you say though, it grows on you, and we should know better than to expect proto quality by now.

I´m wait mine from Secret Compass. I hope Sideshow send it the statue soon to Secret Compass, i can´t wait.

I have gotten over the likeness thing with this but the paintjob on the production pieces I've seen really leave me wanting. Its so flat that it leaves much to be desired.

I have gotten over the likeness thing with this but the paintjob on the production pieces I've seen really leave me wanting. Its so flat that it leaves much to be desired.

Hey Mike

Have you seen one in person or just in the pics we've all posted? it's so much better in person.

No just the pics posted and Michael Crawford's review. Although no shops carry Sideshow around me so it'll be difficult to see it in person without actually buying one and my budget is stretched too far already without needed to take a gamble.

No just the pics posted and Michael Crawford's review. Although no shops carry Sideshow around me so it'll be difficult to see it in person without actually buying one and my budget is stretched too far already without needed to take a gamble.

Yeah no shops sell SS near me either which sucks. :(

If you look at all the pics posted here and in Crawford's review the paint looks good to really ____ and it seems to be mostly people that haven't seen it in person that think the paint is a bit weak.

I think it's a great statue and worth anyones money but we are all different and have different standards as well. Shame you haven't had the chance to see it in person because i'm sure you'd probably want it if you did. :)

I hear you. I spent lots of time looking at the pics while waiting for this piece, so my expectations were also for a statue of that quality. As you say though, it grows on you, and we should know better than to expect proto quality by now.

Yeah. You're probably right.

Back