Sideshow Marvel: The Curse of the Legendary Scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidLiquidFox

doing it...for all of us
Reaction score
The AH! comiquette line is the one thing keeping the license interesting right now. No new PFs or comiquettes despite all the expectations for SDCC for something big to come along. We get an Iron Man Stealth version that for all intents and purposes comes across gimmicky with all the lights. A Weapon X Archieve Set that, well, seems to be mandatory as a SDCC exclusive. Also a Thor Vs that looks great but perhaps not what everyone was expecting. Very creative but will most likely end up with the Cap Vs in terms of popularity. The no exclusive for it will also hurt it. So, do we blame all the Spider-Man 3 merchandize taking away from the "real" stuff we have come to expect? the loss of Andy to DC Direct? Michael Vick? Britney Spears?

What can we realistically expect to see soon? It seems that Sideshow has settled into this safe zone of characters that they can't seem to escape: Ghost Rider, Spidey, Wolverine, Hulk, Cap and Iron Man. It's like we have peaked at Hulk and Cap PF. Are they afraid to take a chance with Dr Strange, Black Panther, Namor, etc.? I think Doom PF has proved that if the piece looks good then the popularity of the character doesn't matter much in terms of sales.

Which brings me to the Legendary Scale busts. It seems to be the one line that has "taken off" for Sideshow Marvel. The one line that they are supporting the most right now. Same old characters, yet another brand new line. I know the LS are easier to execute than a PF or a 1:1, but it's killing the excitement factor Sideshow Marvel used to have. Even the other secondary lines seem to have taken a backseat (Archieve Sets, 1:1 busts, bustoramas).

Sorry for the long rant but I notice I frequent these boards less and I am trying to figure out what the heck can spark some excitement. As it is, I am just looking forward to the second Sentinel Vs and praying that they announce the third one soon just to get my set before we are back to more Legendary Scale...

The things is, I think SS is afraid that there is no high market for people to buy a $300 statue of Namor, Nova, New X-men, New Thunderbolts, etc...

I can't even believe that they sold out on the X-men vs Sentinel dio considering that not many people read the Astonishing X-men series, *cough* most recent issue just came out *cough*

And I hear you Solid that frequenting this board is now minimal for me as well. I go to the Marvel section, nothing is happening and then go to the Sandbox :rock

We need at least a new PF to keep the interest high. There are plenty of characters that can be done, we've given many suggestions here on the board. Thor, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, The Thing (Comic Version), Black Panther, are all characters that I'd love to see in that format. I think if they have sculptors to work on LS busts, they can use those sculptors to work on 1/4 and 1:1 sculpts for new products, that's what I want!

I am with SLF on this

got sick and tired of repeating characters and the new legendary scale series. archive sets are another out of interest for me also.

the last marvel I purchase is cap PF and I am really excited to order a new PF or a comiquette (not AH women stuff). Unfortunately, the only announcement that interests me is the Thor dio, however, it also lacks the WOW imo.

Well said!!! It was exciting for me coming into this collecting business late in the game (though I had to pay up the arse for many of the pieces in my collection) but there were so many Marvel PFs/comiquettes I wanted and had to have. Now that I have them....it's like what's next......nothing......I ordered the Thor piece but I'm itching for them to put out an awesome PF that makes my heart start racing and is one of those pieces where you are counting down the days for it to arrive.....Sadly that hasn't happened in a long time. :monkey2:monkey2

The things is, I think SS is afraid that there is no high market for people to buy a $300 statue of Namor, Nova, New X-men, New Thunderbolts, etc...

I can't even believe that they sold out on the X-men vs Sentinel dio considering that not many people read the Astonishing X-men series, *cough* most recent issue just came out *cough*

I think the market for high end Marvel pieces of a Namor or Black Bolt is there. Sideshow has built their reputation around making hardcore fans happy. Lately they seem to have lost faith in what they can do with a so-so character by making a popular high end collectible of it. Not to mention that edition sizes have steadily gone up as if Sideshow wants to capitalize on their popularity in the aftermarket for Marvel. Thor Vs is an example of this. Heck, open editions for days after SDCC for most items is another broader example.

Sentinel Vs #2 sold out quickly because people want to cash in on the increase in price. The first one is going for ridiculous prices so everyone is playing wall street on the second one. I am excited about it as an Astonishing Xmen reader more than anything else. The high level of complaining about "Cat-Beast" gives me the impression that people have no idea what the deal is with this piece other than possibly a good investment. I know that's generalizing a lot because some may want it for what it is but you get my point.

Couldn't have said it better myself SLF. I have lost interest in all of SS except for the AH! comiquette line, and most of that excitement is just to see what character is next. Over the past week I have canceled every order I had with sideshow except for the two Ryu statue's from PopCultureShock, and the Black Cat. Hopefully SS will take a chance on some different characters soon, instead of just creating new lines so they can reuse the same old characters they already hold licenses for. On the + side of things, it has been nice actually putting some of my hard earned money into my bank account instead of sideshow's lately.

I agree that the Marvel line has been very underwhelming over the last year.

To be quite honest, SS over all has had a rather bad year IMO; unless you are a Star Wars collector.

The Spidey 3 stuff was good but the fact that the movie sucked beyond recognition, at least IMO that is, ruined all of the pieces for me.

The only Marvel items that I've been interested in at all have been the AH pieces and the Cap PF which technically was announced last year.

The line definately needs a new a new PF announcement and less LSBs.

To be quite honest, SS over all has had a rather bad year IMO; unless you are a Star Wars collector. SDCC had some really nice surprises but overall it has been SS's distribution partners like Hot Toys that have had all the best items over the last year.

Seriously?!?!? AXM was the 5th top selling title for August, it's always a top 10 book. A BUNCH of people read it.

Anything X-Men will sell huge numbers.

I have canceled several Marvel products as well. I guess the rumor is a Thor PF next, but when it will be announced is a whole other issue. Though I do like the Wolvie and Classic DD LSB.

Personally I blame Marvel. I have a large collection of Marvel comics from 1978 to 1998. What got me disgusted was the Wolverine syndrome, meaning every character got dark and edgy. Wolverine stood out because he was dark and edgy and everyone else was noble. Get back to being noble and celebrate it! One of my best friends is still a big fan and has really been trying to get me back into it. I have spent the last two days reading the character bios on Marvel.com catching up on what I have been missing and I have to say that they all sound so convoluted and contrived that it is beyond comic book disbelief. One of the reason that only the classic characters sell well is because the modern characters suck.
It makes me angry because comics were a huge part of my life, and they established a great sense of moral guidance that is missing from todays comics.

And the looooooooooooong delay ( on a bi-monthly book), don't help much either.

When SS first announced the Marvel line, the first thought that popped into my head was them keeping the line moving and not be afraid to do different characters. I'm a little surprised we haven't had a Thor, Surfer, Hawkeye (since we have the archive set) yet. I really was hoping we would see the Marvel teams get the PF treatment, but I really doubt it now.

Actually by the time it was announced, I think everybody was expecting it.:lol

Worst kept secret. :D

I really hope Sideshow takes a long look at what used to be and where we are going. I think there was a lot riding on this SDCC as a reassurance that we were on track. Silver Surfer comiquette was a shoe in for SDCC but instead we got the limited Stealth Iron Man with an increased edition size.

Regarding Hawkeye because of the Archieve Set, well, the Legendary Scale line is the new Archieve Set line. The AR line has been on life support with many of these sets sitting there collecting dust or just ready to be released as the next SDCC exclusive. I guess the LS is the new "companion" piece and how they will measure the marketability of a character now.

lets be honest

1)the archive sets are rubbish (caps is ok)
I bought the hawkeye one because it was going cheap and even then i am majorly dissapointed

2)I agree that collectors dont have to be all that clued upon the backgrounds.I dont know half of what goes on in the marvel universe but its the beauty or pose of the piece that i am interested in and that is why Thor must be the next PF as he would look godly!!

3)Legendary scale busts have no character at all. They are static and have no pose around them. They are boring. I got doom again because he was going cheap and i have regreted that along with Hawkeye but on the other hand the Doom PF is the best piece (imo) there is.

thats about me

thanks

Doom PF is great ! A few different characters should be released either as a comiquette or a PF. Colossus or Black Panther or Silver Surfer would be great comiquettes
Hawkeye and Thor would be awsome PF's. SS could aways throw in a major villian too , such as Bullseye or Thanos. Alittle diversity to keep interest in the line as well as fans talking.

If we get another Villain that would be awesome!! Apocalypse, Thanos, Juggernaut (Comic), Magneto or Red Skull in PF form would kick ass!! :rock

Back