Sideshow Making 20"+ Movie Optimus Prime Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If im not completely wrong,i think the triangular piece is supposed to be like that,at least my Popbox Optimus Bust is the same way.

I honestly don't think that it's supposed to be that way. I have the Optimus Prme mini-head replica that was part of the Best Buy TF:ROTF special edition and it has both left and right sides exactly the same way. The mini-head replica was produced by Sideshow. Here's are a couple of pics:

The head's right side(our left, it's right), which is the side with the triangular cut out on the maquette:

SAM_1436.jpg

The right side, which is fine on the maquette.

SAM_1438.jpg

Now, please believe me when I say I'm not trying to make this issue a big deal. All I want is to confirm for myself and for other collectors that all the maquettes come this way and so there's nothing that can be done about it. It appears that that is the case.

I don't own one of these (just admiring pics.) Wanted to put my 2-cents in about the triangular piece missing. I think it adds to the 'battle-damage,' at least from what I can see from the pics. I wouldn't let it bother you. If I was a collector looking to buy it from you and you showed it to me, it wouldn't deter me from buying it. It looks 'natural,' IMO.

I can understand though the point about the price and it being perfect. I definitely agree with questioning it, but I wouldn't dwell on it too much ultimately.

Last edited:
Oh,i think i missunderstood you:cuckoo:
You mean the blue part inside the Gold triangular part?Yeah i see your point and is extremly weird if they made only one side of the head like that.

I honestly don't think that it's supposed to be that way. I have the Optimus Prme mini-head replica that was part of the Best Buy TF:ROTF special edition and it has both left and right sides exactly the same way. The mini-head replica was produced by Sideshow. Here's are a couple of pics:

The head's right side(our left, it's right), which is the side with the triangular cut out on the maquette:

SAM_1436.jpg

The right side, which is fine on the maquette.

SAM_1438.jpg

Now, please believe me when I say I'm not trying to make this issue a big deal. All I want is to confirm for myself and for other collectors that all the maquettes come this way and so there's nothing that can be done about it. It appears that that is the case.

Now seeing pics of this, i really think the face lacks in detail and that sucks for such a exspensive piece.

not sure about the head part...but are there any more deep scratches on the piece? It may be an attempt to replicate the actual "damage"...

I took another good look over the statue to see if the deep scrapes are an attempt at a battle damaged look and to determine if it may be the norm. I only found two other areas on the statue that had a similar look with the deep scrapes, but they were not quite as bad. There are two spots on the my statues left arm, which I then found a good size chip/paint chip on too. As other people have not reported any issues of these types of scrapes, I can't confirm that it is the norm, but I also don't believe that it is yet because the scrapes are few and far in between on my statue. Any input regarding these issues from those who have received theirs will be greatly appreciated.

SAM_1418.jpg

SAM_1424.jpg

SAM_1414.jpg

I also found one tiny deep scrape on the upper back of the statue, but that one was so small that it didn't really bother me and I also couldn't capture it on camera.

Last but not least, there is a deep hole in the right hand's gun and also the blue paint is a lighter shade than the rest of the paint on the statue.

SAM_1428.jpg

Sorry Bro: I do believe yours is a little more Battle Damaged. Mine has none of the scrapes or chips as your does.Check the pics out. I took the same ones as yours.

No Chip on mine:

12537dc1.jpg

No Battle Damage on mine:

964e36a8.jpg

No Paint Chip on my left arm:

fa86c615.jpg

The hole is normal on the right hand. Mine has it:

aacfe9a6.jpg

Hope these pics Help: I bet you don't want to send this thing back though.........

It seems that the mini bust is more detailed and painted better than the actual maquette. For this price point there should be no sloppiness at all and battle damage should not look half a$$ed either.

Man, I'm glad you guys that have gotten him seem to be happy with it, but that is in no way, shape or form a $1,200 paint job. Not even close. If I had dropped that kind of dough on him and gotten something like what I see in your pics, I would have been pissed.

J Rod ask SS for a replacement for that money you spent that is unexceptable.

All of you that are commenting that you think it's not worth the money. It grows on you when you have it in person, Yes, we have seen 1 with a few paint chips or a little to much battle Damage, but Hey that's SS for you. I'm Glad I bought this Maquette, it's the size of my SS 1/3 Juggernaut, so you know he's HUGE. He does have tons of detail and Very Fragile sections with many little parts, and Mine came Perfect with no Breakage. So I'm a Very Happy Camper. And will pay another $1300 for my Non-Ex. when it arrives.... :clap

Sorry Bro: I do believe yours is a little more Battle Damaged. Mine has none of the scrapes or chips as your does.Check the pics out. I took the same ones as yours.

Hope these pics Help: I bet you don't want to send this thing back though.........

Thanks bigsilva. I appreciate you taking the time to take pics of yours to allow me to compare and confirm the condition of mine. The condition of mine is definitely not the norm and so I will definitely be requesting a total replacement. I honestly did not want to go through the trouble of repackaging the statue, sending it back, waiting for the replacement and all while hoping that the replacement does not have any issues. I hate having to send stuff back for replacement. :( It sucks, but I know that that's what's necessary to be 100% happy with this piece.

I honestly like and am happy with the way the maquette turned out outside of the issues that mine has. When I initially put Optimus together I thought that it wasn't perfect, but was still felt very happy and impressed with it overall. In hand it is an impressive piece IMHO. I feel that it is a little expensive. $800-$900 feels about right, but I don't regret paying $1,300 after having it in hand. I hope that I am an isolated case regarding the issues that mine has, but I know its doubtful with a mass produced item.

got home tonight and sitting in my family room was EX # 19, cant wait to open, hopefully not to much battle damage like some of you.for 1300.00, it should be painted by a professional. amazing how you can buy a 50.00 toy with a better paint job

Looks great in the video, so thanks for posting that. :hi5:

Is it Monday yet? I need mine NOW! :tap

Back