Sideshow Imperial AT-AT Driver Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw Empire as a kid, I thought the AT-AT driver and the Snowtrooper Commander were the coolest of imperial designs... Of course in the movie, you only see them from the chest up. Later, when we started seeing more behind the scenes photos in books and magazines and the full costumes were revealed, I was a little let down. Moonboots? Moonboots?! Worst fad of the late 70's/early 80"s. Ordinarily, I wouldn't even think to question the designs of the OT, but in this case...

When I first got the figure I liked it for the helmet and armor, but the tiny (though nicely sculpted) hands and those moonboots took the wind out of my sails.
I like it a lot better now. So maybe this guy is an AT-at gunner, or officer, or any other crew member not wearing lame boots!:wink1:

It's a nice conversion you did, it looks like you weathered up his clothing as well. Too bad Sideshow didn't add a two piece boot design, it would have helped poseability alot.

BOBBY

It's a nice conversion you did, it looks like you weathered up his clothing as well. Too bad Sideshow didn't add a two piece boot design, it would have helped poseability alot.

BOBBY

An ankle joint on the moon-boots would have looked like crap. Plus not sure what do you have in mind when talking about posing this AT-AT Driver, the suit he has is one of the coolest in SW, but his character didn't do much at all.

BOBBY

I'm all for ankle articulation on figures. The two piece boot designs for GL, Supes, Bats, etc. all look and work great. Sure helps for posing. Even a slight step forward or to the side is better looking with ankle articulation. Rey really needed that boot design too.

I love this figure but my only gripe is that there is no ankle articulation. Otherwise everything is spot on. Wish I would have purchased him when the exclusive was available.

Yeah, the EX rifle actually was the thing that sold me on this figure (that and $30 off) - it's one of the best rifle SSC has ever done. I usually pose figs based on the movie, but in this case he's got the rifle.

Luke Skywalker At-At disguise?

What a cool little subplot that would have been - Luke pulling a RO Vader on the Imperial troopers inside on the way to the cockpit, and commandeers the ATAT. Sure would have been better than Chewy/Ewoks and the ATST in ROTJ.

When I saw Empire as a kid, I thought the AT-AT driver and the Snowtrooper Commander were the coolest of imperial designs... Of course in the movie, you only see them from the chest up. Later, when we started seeing more behind the scenes photos in books and magazines and the full costumes were revealed, I was a little let down. Moonboots? Moonboots?! Worst fad of the late 70's/early 80"s. Ordinarily, I wouldn't even think to question the designs of the OT, but in this case...

When I first got the figure I liked it for the helmet and armor, but the tiny (though nicely sculpted) hands and those moonboots took the wind out of my sails.
I like it a lot better now. So maybe this guy is an AT-at gunner, or officer, or any other crew member not wearing lame boots!:wink1:

The prop builders have never been able to match the actual boot they used for the ATAT driver costume, so maybe it WASN'T a pair of moonboots, but rather true outer-space snow boots.:lecture:lol

An ankle joint on the moon-boots would have looked like crap. Plus not sure what do you have in mind when talking about posing this AT-AT Driver, the suit he has is one of the coolest in SW, but his character didn't do much at all.

I took a scalpel to one of my driver's boots - very, very carefully (cutting on the exact sculpted join line) and was able to do it.

It works pretty well but you're right - he's just not a very "extreme poses" kind of figure - so I haven't really used it (so didn't do the other boot.)

Some sideways ankle articulation can help alot with stability even with standing poses, to find that sweet spot with the figures center of gravity.

BOBBY

The prop builders have never been able to match the actual boot they used for the ATAT driver costume, so maybe it WASN'T a pair of moonboots, but rather true outer-space snow boots.:lecture:lol

Exactly. It is also believed that the boots were modified and covered with tape

The people who clearly buy these figures to play with don't care if extra articulation joints will look like crap. They buy the figures to play with first and foremost. Looks are not that important to them.

I think the moon boots on the driver don't look as good as they could have, the moon boots on Hot Toy's Snowtrooper Commander looked better to me:
Hot Toys Snowtrooper Commander 001.jpg

But I really don't mind the moon boots on my Driver as it's always going to be in the background of the display and I can barely see the boots.

It really just depends whether you want screen accurate or a slightly EU reinvention (i.e. like "snarling" Bossk or "super-articulated" IG-88 from the the SSC figures versus their more mundane screen appearances)

The SSC sculpt is apretty close match to the costume driver boots (fairly squared, featureless and not many crinkles) - though I'd argue the Marmit driver boots are a slightly better sculpt than the SSC of those costume-style boots. The HT Snowie commander boots are a more crinkly "real" look, but that's not how the costume driver's boots look.

Nice pics Ahab! Accuracy aside, it comes down to how you like the figure. I personally think it looks really good as a sort of gunner or crew member like you said. Your own little spin on it. [emoji106]

Any Canadians here near Surrey? The awesome Toy Traders (coolest toy store on Earth, hands down) has this figure on sale for $145 CDN, which is like $120 US or something. Total steal. They had several in stock too. AT-AT Driver was always one of my favorite Imp troops, so I'm happy to finally have this one!

I lived in Port Moody but went to school at SFU at Surrey and on the mountain ;) I never went to Toy Traders but I definitely know about it! That is a great price for the AT-AT Driver, nice find. It's a solid figure and I think SS did a great job.

Even after positive feedbacks from there i was quite surprised how good looking this figure is. I have only two complaints. One is about the boots, one molded piece without movable ankle is really limiting. Second is about hand for holding a gun, it's not tight enough at all.

IMG_5605.jpg
IMG_5606.jpg

Remember this character was only seen for a few seconds in the AT-AT cockpit and then there were a few promo shots of it. No need for Spiderman poses with him.

Remember this character was only seen for a few seconds in the AT-AT cockpit and then there were a few promo shots of it. No need for Spiderman poses with him.

It's not about spiderman poses. Without an ankle you can't even go for a wider stance or running pose for example.

Even after positive feedbacks from there i was quite surprised how good looking this figure is. I have only two complaints. One is about the boots, one molded piece without movable ankle is really limiting. Second is about hand for holding a gun, it's not tight enough at all.

View attachment 364459
View attachment 364461

Hey Futurion,
The communicator pad seems to be missing from his wrist area.

EDIT: Never mind, seem that's normal. Never noticed that.

Back