Sideshow, I applaud you!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Test shots are made when we're 'testing' the molds for plastic figures and parts. Basically, whatever plastic is being used to make other projects is used in our shiny new molds to create the test shots. That's why they're often odd colors, like the purple Bubo.

With these test shots, all of the plastic parts are connected to one another by plastic 'rods,' which are the tubes/channels used to deliver the melted plastic to the mold cavities. All the plastic is introduced to the mold set via one or two entry points, then flows along these channels to the desired spots (head cavity, hand cavity, etc).

We study these test shots to make sure there are no deformities or weird shrinkage/growth issues. Once approved, we start to test the proper plastic coloration and paint.

These mold sets are also important when we're re-using accessories. If we need a small part from an old mold set, say a belt buckle, it's nearly impossible to reproduce just that one part (we would have to cast the entire part set each time, creating a lot of waste and unnecessary cost). So we try to tool useful groups together, as you'll see in the images of Yavin and Bespin Luke.

You can find test shots and quirky 'prototypes' on eBay all the time, for other companies, but we've been lucky with our security. I think this is the first time any Sideshow test shots have ever seen the light of day outside our production office.

I'll gonna take my chances and go for the Cave Troll and or Balrog!

Very generous Sideshow. Thanks for doing this!

:clap

We will be accepting paypal, checks, and money orders on these auctions.

They really are pretty cool items. They'll all ship with a COA signed by Tom Gilliland, our Creative Director.

Some highlights:

The Darkness piece - this is a casting of the original sculpture, which did not have the sculpted hair on the legs.

The Venom bust has a particulary cool paint scheme. IMHO, it's a lot more visually interesting than the final deco. I tried to 'display' it in my office, but... hey, for Diane...

Great stuff here, good luck with your auctions, I know I am watching them. :rock

Keep in mind, Paypal will take their cut if you use it, check or MO is the way to go to get more money to this worthy cause. :cool:

Test shots are made when we're 'testing' the molds for plastic figures and parts. Basically, whatever plastic is being used to make other projects is used in our shiny new molds to create the test shots. That's why they're often odd colors, like the purple Bubo.

With these test shots, all of the plastic parts are connected to one another by plastic 'rods,' which are the tubes/channels used to deliver the melted plastic to the mold cavities. All the plastic is introduced to the mold set via one or two entry points, then flows along these channels to the desired spots (head cavity, hand cavity, etc).

We study these test shots to make sure there are no deformities or weird shrinkage/growth issues. Once approved, we start to test the proper plastic coloration and paint.

These mold sets are also important when we're re-using accessories. If we need a small part from an old mold set, say a belt buckle, it's nearly impossible to reproduce just that one part (we would have to cast the entire part set each time, creating a lot of waste and unnecessary cost). So we try to tool useful groups together, as you'll see in the images of Yavin and Bespin Luke.

You can find test shots and quirky 'prototypes' on eBay all the time, for other companies, but we've been lucky with our security. I think this is the first time any Sideshow test shots have ever seen the light of day outside our production office.

Cool stuff - thanks Brant! :D

How about the unproduced Medieval Kurgan ? or test shot mold at least ?

Back