The HT DeLorean production team are incompetent morons!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowspearer

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I realise that the title might initially seem a little bit strong, but as I'll show, it's entirely reasonable, given the serious flaw with the DeLorean that is smacks of such ignorance and such negligence that it borders on the bizarre.

Let me start off by saying that HT's decision to give the DeLorean the option of using a DC power supply to power it is an excellent innovation, and had it properly been implemented by them, I would have described the production team as innovative and clever. Sadly, to describe their implementation of the feature as being even remotely competent, would be a bald faced lie.

For those not too familiar with electronics, I'll explain. The lights in the DeLorean aren't globes, but rather LEDs - short for Light Emitting Diode. Unlike globes where it doesn't matter which way they are wired, LEDs are diodes. Diodes are a special type of semiconductor, which have been specially treated (through a process called 'doping') to only conduct electricity when they are wired in one direction. If you wire them the wrong way around, they will not conduct electricity and if too much electricity is put through a diode when it is wired the wrong way, you will fry the diode.

I'm sure everyone would agree with me that the last thing anyone would want to do on a $1,000 collectible, is fry the electronics on it.

This leads me to the issue of plug pack based power supplies, specifically those with the round plugs that have the hole in the middle and the corresponding round sockets that have a prong sticking up in them. I'm sure that most people, if not everyone here would have seen them or had devices with them at one point or another. The thing is that while people may not realise it, there are actually two wires built into those plugs and sockets. The socket prong/plug hole is one wire, and the metal ring on the outside of the plug is another wire. The thing is that those DC plugs, can either be wired, so that the plug hole (often referred to as a 'centre pin') is either positive or negative.

The following symbol is universally used to indicate which way the DC power supply needs to be wired for a device, and can typically be found on either the device itself in cases where no power supply is included with a device, or sometimes on the DV power supply itself.

AC_adaptor_polarity.jpg

What does this have to do with the DeLorean production team being incompetent morons?

The answer is everything!

Typically a DC socket on a device using the round DC power supply plugs and sockets (often called "IDC connectors") will typically have the relevant above symbol, depending on whether it is "centre pin positive" or "centre pin negative", followed by the voltage and current required - for example "5V, 2.1A".

Not the DeLorean however. The only thing written next to the DC socket is "DV 4.5V". Ordinarily I'd think picking on HT for misspelling "DC" would be completely petty, but given how utterly incompetent and ignorant the person who printed this was, it's actually an indication of just how much people on the production team were utterly clueless about what they were doing and how all too willing they were to treat their customers with absolute contempt and expect them to play Russian roulette with a $1,000 collectible. It complete omission of this information of the manual does nothing to discredit that assertion.

After all, the lack of information about the current is one thing and it falls under the category of an annoyance. After all, it's possible to use regulated power supplies, which may be designed to give more current than a device needs, but will only give out the amount of current the device draws. At the same time, the more current a power supply gives off, the bigger it is, creating an annoyance for the very people who the feature was designed for - those who are mounting their Deloreans in display cases and who are going to want to go with the smallest DC power supply possible.

This is an annoyance.

It is unacceptable when we are talking about a $1,000 collectible and this information would be provided for a $30 electronic device.

However it will not destroy your DeLorean's electronics. The same cannot be said for the complete omission of whether the DC power supply needs to be "centre pin positive" or "centre pin negative".

The fact is that by omitting that information, Hot Toys are negligently putting every single DeLorean owner in a situation whereby they are forced to play Russian roulette with a $1,000 collectible - where there is a 50% chance of a Delorean owner frying the electronics in a $1,000 collectible and essentially destroying it.

The following individuals are potentially to blame for this situation, depending on which of these 3 scenarios is actually what happened.

A) The person/s responsible for the electronics were stupid and negligent and didn't bother supplying the correct information to the person/s responsible for the electrical markings on the bottom of the DeLorean and the person/s responsible for the manual.

B) The person/s responsible for the electronics did in fact supply the correct information to the person/s responsible for the electrical markings on the bottom of the DeLorean and the person/s responsible for the manual, and both were that incompetent and stupid that they couldn't be bothered actually supplying it properly with the final product.

C) some combination of A and B.

In any of these scenarios those who are definitely to blame are:

A) The QC team who should have caught the mistake in both a draft of the manual and as of the final prototype/test shot of the DeLorean itself, and;

B) The Project Manager who should have had enough of a clue about what he was doing to spot the mistakes where even the QC team failed. Clearly though, he didn't have the first clue whatsoever about what he was doing.

To make matters worse, Australian distributors like Ikon Collectables have no idea what the answer is, and judging by what I have read about people calling Sideshow Collectibles, neither do they. When it comes to incompetence on this issue, it seems to be the blind leading the blind! The distributors clearly have no idea, Hot Toys clearly have no idea and the distributors are clearly too lazy and incmpentent to be bothered contacting Hot Toys to get them to pull their heads out of their backsides, put their fingers on the pulse and actually disseminate the information which should have been given with this high end collectible at release!

If anyone who works for Hot Toys is reading this, let me be clear, this mistake hasn't just caused hot Toys to lose face, but to utterly maim it.

This is not only unacceptable for even a $30 CD player, but it's the kind of utter stupidity and laziness I'd expect from a cheap $5 knock off toy!

Except that we're not talking about a $5 knock off toy, we're talking about a $1,000 licenced collectable!

There are only two words I can think of that describe this incompetent and moronic gaffe which still to this day, no one who should be acknowledging this, appears to have:

Cluster FUBAR.

This current state of affairs is completely unacceptable, especially when we are talking about high end collectables.

Honestly, if this is the way Hot Toys and their distributors are going - displaying such a brazen mix of incompetence and complete contempt for their customers - then it is simply a matter of when, rather than if, they completely destroy not only their customer bases, but their profitability, and ultimately their survival.

Last edited:
Reactions: P.
All it would take is a fire or some other unfortunate accident to be caused by this electrical oversight. I bet being sued and having Disney potentially drop there support for HT products and pull there licences will have HT change there tune of NGAF...

I'm sure HT would rather it not get to that - I think Bowspearer since you discovered this problem it would be an excellent course of action for you to bring it to the retailer's attention that you purchased from - let them know the dangers (and any potential fire hazard) by this - and I would recommend doing it politely (I get that you're not happy with them, but if you approach them like you shared here, you're going to come off as ranting - again I get your anger I really do - but you'd do far better to simply edit out all the anger comments and provide the info to the place you purchased, along with any data that supports it might be a real fire hazard in addition to possibly destroying the collectible. You're much more apt to be heard if you simply provide the facts - and you can tell them that if you were in their shoes you'd definitely want to do something BEFORE a tragedy occurs (and at the very least you warned them. If they go the way of ignoring any real problem like the air bag manufacturers did, you can always warn people on youtube and social media).

bring it to the retailer's attention that you purchased from

The retailer has done all they can and I don't blame them in the slightest. I do however blame the Australian distributor, Ikon, their supplier, Sideshow and the manufacturer, Hot Toys, for not only this gaffe happening, but for not seeming to care or recognise that essentially expecting someone to play Russian Roulette with a high priced collectable to get a feature to work is utterly appalling behaviour, when it wouldn't be good enough if it were even something even 30 times less than the cost of this.

along with any data that supports it might be a real fire hazard in addition to possibly destroying the collectible

It's unlikely it would cause a fire, however there is a significant possibility of the LEDs not only failing to light up, but actually being blown and destroyed by this - especially as in the case of the overhead lights and panels behind the seats, some of them look like they're surface mount LEDs, which will take far less of a pounding than the standard ones used in places like the Flux Capacitor.

Either way, it's a disaster in the making.

Didn't read the wall of text.

Short, short, version - Hot Toys implemented the mains power option in a manner which causes the owner of a DeLorean to essentially play Russian Roulette with their DeLorean and potentially completely destroy the lighting gimmick inside it.

i don't think toy distributors have much insights on electronics. all they know is insert the correct number of correct batteries into the correct compartments in the correct orientation correctly.

i don't think toy distributors have much insights on electronics. all they know is insert the correct number of correct batteries into the correct compartments in the correct orientation correctly.

It's not the lack of knowledge that is the issue with the distributors here - it's the seeming lack of an "oh crap" moment when presented with the fact that everyone they have sold a DeLorean to has to essentially play Rusian Roulette with it when hooking up the power supply, has a significant change of frying the electronics in it.

If these distributors actually gave a hoot about their customers, they'd be treating it like the serious gaffe it is, be on the phone to Hot Toys in Hong Kong as soon as they possibly could, demanding to speak to someone in senior management above the DeLorean team, demanding the problem be rectified and demanding HT do everything in their power to reasonably ensure that this type of cluster FUBAR never happens again.

Yet the apathy and indifference which are seemingly coming from them are deafening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back