Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to say, that Nathan Drake production figure is sobering... Sure makes me wonder why SSC cannot catch-up w/HT in human likenesses. They've been doing this forever.

Devil's got a good point about the Joes, though.

Not trolling. And leaving *****ing, predisposition and general ****-ness aside for a minute. I've asked this question before.. Has SS EVER delivered an impressive human sculpt in 1/6th. I know they have the ability, (Trevor's work is outstanding) but their manufacturing and painting seems to **** up, every single time. That Nathan Drake figure is the worst I've seen in years, and unless SS drastically change their suppliers/manufacturers these are the same people who are gonna be making these Hoth figures. The new deluxe figures that SS have been releasing have been plagued with QC and manufacturing issues.

Is there one head sculpt that even comes near to HT or EB or even Blitzway quality?

Personally, I was very disappointed with OBI in hand, but the angry sculpt to me is the best they have done. Deluxe Darth unmasked likewise, feels like a painted hollow vinyl vintage head, but the back of his head looks alright!. The clones are OK, but still pretty toyish on a sophistication level. But the prices aren't "Toyish" anymore.

I think we all need to lower our expectations for Hoth Han and Luke, but at least they have hoods.

I agree.
The sculptures are better but still bad paint ... prices are rising and quality must also evolve.

The only SS human I have from recent times to judge quality is the Anakin head on the ESB/ROTJ Vader. Sculpt is okay, but the paint job made me realize how much Anakin resembled Uncle Fester.

Uh-Oh, what happened?

According to RavenEye, this is what happened:

RavenEye said:
Trevor confirmed that man, he said it is his; but they modified the sculpt. This is what they did:

They molded Trevors, used probably hydrospan 100 grow cast (water to grow it), molded it again and casted. Then cut the seem around hair fixed eyes for sockets. Them took the 2 halves and molded it and used hydrospan 400 shrink cast (water to shrink it) and that's why it's distorted. Even Denny said when Q did recasts of Cowboy it causes the sculpt to distort cause it's not original.

:thud:

That's terrible, if true. Why would any professional company use such a shoddy method. For shame, SSC. *shakes head*

That's why I'm hoping Nathan Drake is the fall guy. The flak and cancellations SS are getting from this should hopefully prevent such a thing happening again. That doesn't help those that wanted a decent Nathan Drake though.

I won't lower my expectations, and all of the Joes after Flint were excellent.

Not familiar with GI Joe, this is Flint right?
I have to be honest I googled SS GI Joe in-hand pics and this is what I found from Cool Toy Review.
Are there better production Joe's?

Last edited:
I won't lower my expectations, and all of the Joes after Flint were excellent.
Eh. . .they were OK. Excellent? I wouldn't go that far. Dusty came out after Flint, and I think he was the worst in the line, paint-job-wise. Hawk, Stalker, and Rock 'N Roll were OK, but I wouldn't go any further than that. Apart from that, Zartan was pretty dang good, but he had the advantage of no irises/pupils, and the helmeted guys were fine, but those aren't human heads. I haven't seen Falcon or Baroness in-hand.

I've been keeping up with the Nathan Drake thread and I really believe that it's just lousy photography. Yes, the sculpt seems a bit distorted, yes the eyes aren't great (to say the least), and yes there's a definite difference between the proto and the final, but I really don't think it will be as bad as these initial photos show. Anyone remember the initial photos of HT Luke? Or Resident Evil Milla? Mass cancellations left and right. And once the figures actually started shipping and people with halfway decent photo skills took photos, and once actual reviews started coming in, the tides turned. Sure, there were people who were still disappointed, but the figures were not nearly as bad as the first batch of photos made it out to be.

Anyway, I still have hope for Han and Luke. Maybe Nathan Drake can be chalked up as a learning experience by Sideshow and they will have perfected the new process by the time Han and Luke come out.

I'll keep my eyes on the Drake thread and see what the figure really looks like once he starts to ship for real.

But I'm not sure the paint apps are so much worse than a typical SSC figure. They look pretty average for them in that department--not that I'm saying that is particularly good; even the worst of current Hot Toys paint jobs are significantly better. It's the weird sculpt. Eyes are huge. No amount of painting can change that. And the face looks swollen somehow. Like a less extreme version of what happened with Matty's Venkman sculpt.

I've been keeping up with the Nathan Drake thread and I really believe that it's just lousy photography. Yes, the sculpt seems a bit distorted, yes the eyes aren't great (to say the least), and yes there's a definite difference between the proto and the final, but I really don't think it will be as bad as these initial photos show.
Ah, I assumed it had been out awhile and this was a representative pic. Yeah, early pics can definitely be deceptive.

I feel like a broken record... and not sure why I bother... but there is one set of photos that looks decent. Not great, but not terrible and it's because it's natural lighting and actually posed.

attachment.php

It does look like they opened up the eyes more which was a bad call...it's giving it a bit of a deer in the headlights look. But it's better than the other shots with harsh lighting and a lot of lens distortion.

I think the coats look great! That photo of Drake doesn't look half bad. I don't stand behind what Sideshow does all of the time but since I have on order Snake, Luke and Han. I want them to turn out good or even better than good. I'm crossing my fingers that Drake opened there eyes and they will fix future figures for release.

Back