Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like a broken record... and not sure why I bother... but there is one set of photos that looks decent. Not great, but not terrible and it's because it's natural lighting and actually posed.

attachment.php

It does look like they opened up the eyes more which was a bad call...it's giving it a bit of a deer in the headlights look. But it's better than the other shots with harsh lighting and a lot of lens distortion.

A better pic no doubt. Head looks the same though. Those eyes are just bizzarre. Are these "glass" eyes that SS is using now? Missed all that.

They aren't glass (at least I don't think they are) but a insert that is sandwiched between the face plate and back of the head. I'm pretty sure they are using a decal on a plastic plate. On some figures it's looked pretty good, on others it's had the guyliner PERS look.

I don't know if Sideshow has quite got this new method down and this looks to be one they did not get right. One thing they really need to do is have the eyes sitting looking a bit higher, a lot of times they are dead center and it looks too passive.

I've been keeping up with the Nathan Drake thread and I really believe that it's just lousy photography. Yes, the sculpt seems a bit distorted, yes the eyes aren't great (to say the least), and yes there's a definite difference between the proto and the final, but I really don't think it will be as bad as these initial photos show. Anyone remember the initial photos of HT Luke? Or Resident Evil Milla? Mass cancellations left and right. And once the figures actually started shipping and people with halfway decent photo skills took photos, and once actual reviews started coming in, the tides turned. Sure, there were people who were still disappointed, but the figures were not nearly as bad as the first batch of photos made it out to be.

Anyway, I still have hope for Han and Luke. Maybe Nathan Drake can be chalked up as a learning experience by Sideshow and they will have perfected the new process by the time Han and Luke come out.

I'll keep my eyes on the Drake thread and see what the figure really looks like once he starts to ship for real.

I don't know about that Lou, there are quite a few pics floating around now, including the one Galacticboy posted, the pics might have better angles/composition, but the head looks the same to me in all of them so far. And you mentioned those early HT Luke pics (I love this subject). Those pics were EXACTLY the same as the figure that shipped, it wasn't a proto, it wasn't a knock off, they were just pics which didn't try to be flattering to the HT Luke figure. The stitching, the PERS, the material used in the costume, the same. Because it was just what it looked like, an early production figure, the same as many thousands which came after it. I've seen some amazing pics since, but I've also seen some even worse :)lol) posted here on this board. The truth lies somewhere in between.

They aren't glass (at least I don't think they are) but a insert that is sandwiched between the face plate and back of the head. I'm pretty sure they are using a decal on a plastic plate. On some figures it's looked pretty good, on others it's had the guyliner PERS look.

I don't know if Sideshow has quite got this new method down and this looks to be one they did not get right. One thing they really need to do is have the eyes sitting looking a bit higher, a lot of times they are dead center and it looks too passive.
Interesting, didn't know they had moved from regular painted eyes. Well regardless I'm hoping for the best with the Hoth figures. But that hope is kinda muddy at the mo.

I don't know about that Lou, there are quite a few pics floating around now, including the one Galacticboy posted, the pics might have better angles/composition, but the head looks the same to me in all of them so far. And you mentioned those early HT Luke pics (I love this subject). Those pics were EXACTLY the same as the figure that shipped, it wasn't a proto, it wasn't a knock off, they were just pics which didn't try to be flattering to the HT Luke figure. The stitching, the PERS, the material used in the costume, the same. Because it was just what it looked like, an early production figure, the same as many thousands which came after it. I've seen some amazing pics since, but I've also seen some even worse :)lol) posted here on this board. The truth lies somewhere in between.

The photo that galactiboy posted is a better shot, and while it's still basically showing that it's the same head with the same general problems, you have to admit that it does look better than the original Drake photos posted. We're not proposing that the Drake figure is not what people will get in hand, we just think that it won't be as bad in hand as it looks in these terrible photographs. The flaws will still be there, but they won't stand out as bad or make his face and eyes look as hideous as we're seeing. Same as with the Luke figure. People were indeed seeing the final product and didn't like what they saw in the photos. But once in hand, all those flaws didn't seem so bad. Like you said, the photos simply weren't very flattering.

Wait. Are you agreeing with me? :)

The photo that galactiboy posted is a better shot, and while it's still basically showing that it's the same head with the same general problems, you have to admit that it does look better than the original Drake photos posted. We're not proposing that the Drake figure is not what people will get in hand, we just think that it won't be as bad in hand as it looks in these terrible photographs. The flaws will still be there, but they won't stand out as bad or make his face and eyes look as hideous as we're seeing. Same as with the Luke figure. People were indeed seeing the final product and didn't like what they saw in the photos. But once in hand, all those flaws didn't seem so bad. Like you said, the photos simply weren't very flattering.

Wait. Are you agreeing with me? :)

no.

:grouphug :lol

I'm at least agreeing with you... no doubt the Drake head has some issues and Sideshow did not translate the final producat as well as they could have. But bad pictures will make things seem worse and for some reason in hand the items tend to look better and people seem satisfied. Now not everyone is happy, but it seems in general the product meets expectations.

I've just seen this song and dance so many times that it's kind of funny seeing it unfold. In the SW section we don't see as much of it since most of the posters have been around since the days of monkey armed Luke, now we seem to expect bad initial photos and panicked members canceling pre-orders only to re-order later :lol

Interesting, didn't know they had moved from regular painted eyes. Well regardless I'm hoping for the best with the Hoth figures. But that hope is kinda muddy at the mo.

Muddy hopes are good... leaves room to be pleasantly surprised when we get a decent figure :lol :lecture

:peace

:grouphug :lol

I'm at least agreeing with you... no doubt the Drake head has some issues and Sideshow did not translate the final producat as well as they could have. But bad pictures will make things seem worse and for some reason in hand the items tend to look better and people seem satisfied. Now not everyone is happy, but it seems in general the product meets expectations.

I've just seen this song and dance so many times that it's kind of funny seeing it unfold. In the SW section we don't see as much of it since most of the posters have been around since the days of monkey armed Luke, now we seem to expect bad initial photos and panicked members canceling pre-orders only to re-order later :lol

Muddy hopes are good... leaves room to be pleasantly surprised when we get a decent figure :lol :lecture

I appreciate it! :duff

I also agree that we've seen this same kind of thing play out multiple times. The only reasonable thing to do is wait and see for yourself. Even if Drake is as dreadful in real life as he is in these first round of pictures, I'm hoping that future figures like Han and Luke will be better simply because Sideshow is currently working out the kinks.

Yep, Sideshow can drop the ball on as many Drake figures as they like as long as Han and Luke aren't bobbled :lol

...I also agree that we've seen this same kind of thing play out multiple times. The only reasonable thing to do is wait and see for yourself. Even if Drake is as dreadful in real life as he is in these first round of pictures, I'm hoping that future figures like Han and Luke will be better simply because Sideshow is currently working out the kinks.
Yep, agreed, Mad. I'm just hoping this new face/eyes/hair process of theirs doesn't make distortion inevitable. I guess it's win/win, though. If I'm happy with the figs than great and if I'm not, I just saved $750.00 for Luke/Han and the Tauntaun. :D

I didn't follow the Drake thread so this is the first I'm hearing of it. I really hope that it's an issue SS gets out of their system quickly, and doesn't take a few releases to work out. Truth be told the protos of the Luke & Han sculpts aren't anything over the top. They're really good and better than most to date at at best, but they're starting to charge HT prices for something that's not HT quality. If the production piece ends up being a far throw from that then SS will have a mess on their hands. I have both Han's and Luke on PO and they will be the easiest cancellations ever if they turn out looking only half as good as the protos

I didn't follow the Drake thread so this is the first I'm hearing of it. I really hope that it's an issue SS gets out of their system quickly, and doesn't take a few releases to work out. Truth be told the protos of the Luke & Han sculpts aren't anything over the top. They're really good and better than most to date at at best, but they're starting to charge HT prices for something that's not HT quality. If the production piece ends up being a far throw from that then SS will have a mess on their hands. I have both Han's and Luke on PO and they will be the easiest cancellations ever if they turn out looking only half as good as the protos

Truth.

But I'm still optimistic.

Eh. . .they were OK. Excellent? I wouldn't go that far. Dusty came out after Flint, and I think he was the worst in the line, paint-job-wise. Hawk, Stalker, and Rock 'N Roll were OK, but I wouldn't go any further than that. Apart from that, Zartan was pretty dang good, but he had the advantage of no irises/pupils, and the helmeted guys were fine, but those aren't human heads. I haven't seen Falcon or Baroness in-hand.

Come on. They were better than ok. Rock n Roll in particular was really good (did I get the exact gradient of positivity?) So was Beachhead.

They were a lot better than customs I've seen that sold for their price several times over.

Last edited:
Truth.

But I'm still optimistic.

I'm with ya. The power of positive thinking :lecture. ESB is my fave of the OT and anything Hoth is my fave of all that is Star Wars. I've had an attraction to all things Hoth since the Kenner days and that never wore off. It would be a heart-breaker to say the least to have to bail on these, but if they get the Drake syndrome then I'll probably have to. As long as there's no deformation of the sculpt, a repaint can fix a bad factory job

Back