Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just seen this song and dance so many times that it's kind of funny seeing it unfold.

That's a funny way of spelling "frustrating".

Every thread I go into, someone's posting that damn picture.

SSC has been making pretty good figures for 2-3 years now, and now one comes out looking off and people are losing their minds. It's insane.

That's a funny way of spelling "frustrating".

Every thread I go into, someone's posting that damn picture.

SSC has been making pretty good figures for 2-3 years now, and now one comes out looking off and people are losing their minds. It's insane.
Why wouldn't people be posting those pictures. Supposing they're accurate, Drake is a disaster. Everyone in this hobby is paying $150+/figure for fidelity to the source material. So when something is not only inaccurate, but grossly so, why wouldn't it get mentioned. This sort of thing shouldn't be happening anymore at SSC, period.

Why wouldn't people be posting those pictures. Supposing they're accurate, Drake is a disaster. Everyone in this hobby is paying $150+/figure for fidelity to the source material. So when something is not only inaccurate, but grossly so, why wouldn't it get mentioned. This sort of thing shouldn't be happening anymore at SSC, period.

Agreed. I'm just catching wind of the Drake thing but if there is a real issue (unflattering photography aside), then that's definitely pretty noteworthy. I mean companies like DID are churning out good human likenesses and decent paintjobs; it's a little baffling why SS isn't on par with HT production sculpts at this point

I'm guessing Sideshow still doesn't have someone at the factory level that is checking the final product... with HT we'll get the occassionaly hidden issue (like brittle plastic, etc.) but never grossly obvious QC issues. And I'm guessing it's because they have a stronger presence at the production level.

But I think Swedish's point is that, this is a problem, but it doesn't seem to be representative of SSC's products. So, should we freak out too too much over an aberration? I don't think so. But then, I personally never know what to expect with an SSC production piece because they have a pretty checkered history in terms of quality, so I'll really not assume it will be good or bad. I certainly do not expect the finished product to be on par with the prototype, which had Rainman's tailor in conjunction with a raw, handpainted Trevor Grove sculpt.

it's a little baffling why SS isn't on par with HT production sculpts at this point
My assumption is SSC needs a larger bottom line than HT. And the fact that they aren't based in Asia, with various local connections may also play some role.

I believe they start with tinted heads and then templates are used for most of the paint applications and decals for the eyes. They seem to have it down to a science.

What's funny is even smaller companies like Kaustic Plastic are turning out better looking heads than Sideshow. I really can't understand what the malfunction is with them.

I believe they start with tinted heads and then templates are used for most of the paint applications and decals for the eyes. They seem to have it down to a science.

What's funny is even smaller companies like Kaustic Plastic are turning out better looking heads than Sideshow. I really can't understand what the malfunction is with them.

I remember reading "hand painted" advertised several times and I thought it was in the product description, but I searched around some newer and old figures and I couldn't find it. Does anyone remember where that was specified? I've seen it a bunch of times but just can't remember where. I know that you right though, and the majority of the sculpt is done in some mass produced process, but I think there were some touches that were done by hand.

As far as SSC production being what it is, I think Sam raised one of the biggest factors. The cost of production is cheaper in Asia. Also I was under the impression that HT owns the factories themselves; not sure if that's fact or myth

But I think Swedish's point is that, this is a problem, but it doesn't seem to be representative of SSC's products. So, should we freak out too too much over an aberration? I don't think so. But then, I personally never know what to expect with an SSC production piece because they have a pretty checkered history in terms of quality, so I'll really not assume it will be good or bad. I certainly do not expect the finished product to be on par with the prototype, which had Rainman's tailor in conjunction with a raw, handpainted Trevor Grove sculpt.

My assumption is SSC needs a larger bottom line than HT. And the fact that they aren't based in Asia, with various local connections may also play some role.

Was Yunsil involved in that? Toria and Ellis (that's not Kato, is it?) are credited but nothing is listed about Tree Design

I think hand painted just means the paint is applied by individuals, but most likely in an assembly line or some similar process. But it's not like each head is painted by a single person.

Right, that's what I mean. A bulk is done in some mass produced method and some finishing touches are done by hand, but based off the master and art director. So a team of painters would do this, not just one

It says Serang, but Serang's tailor is Yunsil. Their website has it listed as an outfit they completed.

I must be looking in the wrong place because I don't see Serang either :lol

Trevor Grove (Sculpt)
Tim Niver (Sculpt)
Matt Brouillard (Sculpt)
John Neil (Sculpt)
J-Park (Sculpt)
Pia (Sculpt)
Wan Lee (Paint)
Kevin Ellis (Costume Fabrication)
Toria Casarro (Costume Fabrication)
The Sideshow Collectibles Design and Development Team

I think the worrying thing with Sideshow is the three steps forward, two steps backwards. You get a head like Wolffe then you get the Drake one and the confidence in them drops.

Consistency would be good.

Yes. I think I was privileged or (un privileged :lol) to have a large amount of HT head sculpts sitting in front of me at the same time. The Joker heads I mean. You don't normally get to see so many side by side, short of a factory visit I would imagine. I really studied them too. Most of the "paint" was either some form of decal or mass produced 3D paint application/printing. The only actual hand painting, that I could discern, were the base skin layers which seemed to be simple sprayed layers. So for the Joker, it seemed as you say, a slightly translucent skin plastic, this was sprayed with an even skin tone then this was whited out, make-up wise.

EVERYTHING else was a decal or an identical printing process. The lips, eye area, even the tone on the skin was identical.

The only variance worth noting were these sprayed layers, the most noticeable on Joker was a final gloss coat which on some was almost matte on others very glossy.

I think hand painted to HT, means some sprayed coats and possible a bit of dry brushing on the hair.

Last edited:
Yep, whatever HT is doing, they are doing it right. You get pretty good consistency and the paint apps are the best in the business.

Sure you can get a more nuanced or maybe more life-like with a customizer, but you're also paying a lot more for that additional service. So for what you get for your money HT really has dialed it in.

So your saying that HT uses decals on their figures faces? Never heard that before.
Seems strange to me. I am looking at my Joker and it certainly doesnt look like a decal.

Back