Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow should include a blue filter for some people.

And Khev, love you but you got way too much time on your hands if you noticed that the little cloth Han holds (or on his belt) is some kind of painters cap that needs to be included in this set.

Cool. Thanks for specifying. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the notion that Harrison's actual coat was brown. We're all looking at the same images but what I'm seeing is blue fabric with brown grime. It seems most people in the "blue" camp agree that it was really brown but translated blue on screen. Why doesn't his belt look blue? Or his hair or anything? Is there a shade of brown that is bluish? Some random color that I don't know about but that you guys are all keying into? Something under the floor, not in the plans? I don't know. It's a real headscratcher to me.

I would probably say its due to the fact the best lighting people in the world are working on these films, and they just know how to control it.

Cool. Thanks for specifying. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the notion that Harrison's actual coat was brown. We're all looking at the same images but what I'm seeing is blue fabric with brown grime. It seems most people in the "blue" camp agree that it was really brown but translated blue on screen. Why doesn't his belt look blue? Or his hair or anything? Is there a shade of brown that is bluish? Some random color that I don't know about but that you guys are all keying into? Something under the floor, not in the plans? I don't know. It's a real headscratcher to me.

In regards to your quandary Khev, just think about how different some items of your own clothing look under various lighting conditions. Certain light spectrums/temperatures can bring out completely different shades and tones of a color within a fabric/textile that otherwise might be hidden to your eye. I have a pair of brown boots and in certain light they look dark brown while in other light they look light brown - almost a completely different tonal shade. Now obviously they're not coming off as red or blue - though the brown does have a bit of red deep within it which can also be picked out in certain light - but nothing as drastic as brown to blue. Still, the color does look different.

But at the same time it's not like my hair or skin drastically changes in different light, though my shoes do. Although I'm sure you've noticed that looking at yourself under a harsh fluorescent light and then under a soft warm light shows a heck of a difference in your perception of yourself.

It is tough to wrap your head around sometimes. I'm partially color blind and there are certain tones of colors I can't see which really messes with you when others are telling you that what you see is not quite right by comparison.

Saw this video last week on a film website in an article titled "Why your film needs a gaffer", seemed relevant here:

Last edited:
So if they wanted the puppet to match the lighting, what does it say about the value they placed on the effect of the lighting? It could be that they wanted the jacket to appear blue because brown contrasted too much with the desired perception of frigidity. It could be because they didn't want the puppet to be inconsistent with the full sized costume. It could be that they didn't want the costume to clash with the puppet. I don't know. I guess it's weird that there's no official statement. Maybe they're too amused by the controversy. Maybe they don't remember. Maybe they don't care.

They used blue lighting to accentuate the frigid temperatures of Hoth which in turn created a blue cast on everything including the white snow and the brown jacket.

/ End Thread

Often when they want to show individual strands on human hair on film they use horse hair. This is because human hair is too fine and horse hair gives the desired effect. The point is, just because the jacket used on set was brown, they doesn't mean they didn't account for the filming conditions making it show up the shade it does. The Tippett model supports the notion it was supposed to look blue in the final version of the film.

I didn't realise that blue coats were as unrealistic as bright red human skin.

Given that you have been trolling those of us who chose blue all week, did you actually buy a blue version as you claimed or not? I'm just curious.

If a film was made concerning a submarine at battle stations would the Sideshow figures have to have red faces and hands? :duh

p77.gif

The interior of a submarine isn't a simulation of a daylight environment :dunno

Ah, I understand that.

Sorry for the confusion.

You're correct, though. It is only "playful". I respect the opinions of others, which is why I'm really interested in finding pre-digital images. I do find this a fascinating subject, since I never saw ESB in the cinema but grew up with the Kenner figure. I have my own nostalgia, which was rocked when Hasbro released their updated Hoth Han in 1995!

:peace

Don't make me break out my old VHS player from storage and my original VHS tapes. :p

I was referring to the blue lamps inside the base. Specifically in the scene under the Falcon that I referenced earlier when the colour changes from blue to lighter brown.

When outside and damp the coat is a curious shade of dark brown which picks up blue tinges at certain angles.

At the moment we don't know what colour blue Sideshow is going to settle on, since it became apparent the blue promo shots were digitally coloured.

I would say that it's going to be impossible to replicate what Harrison wore, unless you add your own lighting effect, whether it be to the blue or the brown version.

The whole point of my posting the outdoor shot was to clarify that the coat appears blue in a simulated daylight environment. Your pic of the red submarine interior wasn't comparing like with like. And I know you were being deadly serious about it, 'cause this is a serious business :nono

I've been looking for scans showing blue for pre-digital copies, but haven't found them. I'm sure there must be some somewhere still in existence since so many people are adamant they saw them.

Over the years people have also been adamant that they saw the Luke & Biggs scene at Toshi Station during the original theatrical run when there is no evidence that scene was ever shown in a theatrical cut, but due to references to that scene in books and comics along with stills of the scene, people were convinced that they had actually seen it.

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, just pointing out that the mind and peoples' recollections aren't always reliable, and it's not the only instance of this in regards to Star Wars.

All the debate around the colour of a coat ?.
I have another question: I haven't bought a sideshow figure since probably, clone wars obi wan ?.
Anyway, is there still a huge gap between preview photo quality and what you actually get in hand ?, I remember always being blown away at this point in a figures prerelease life and less than amused once I see factory paint apps, etc.

They used blue lighting to accentuate the frigid temperatures of Hoth which in turn created a blue cast on everything including the white snow and the brown jacket.

/ End Thread

And countless other details which were affected to such a lesser degree that no one would ever have perceived them as blue, i.e. the fur on Han's hood, Chewbacca, Luke's costume, etc.

What thread was it that you were ending, again? :huh

All the debate around the colour of a coat ?.
I have another question: I haven't bought a sideshow figure since probably, clone wars obi wan ?.
Anyway, is there still a huge gap between preview photo quality and what you actually get in hand ?, I remember always being blown away at this point in a figures prerelease life and less than amused once I see factory paint apps, etc.

These are the first human sculpt Star Wars figures I'll be getting from Sideshow in a long time, but I think the aliens and armored guys I've purchased in the last couple of years have been of a much better quality and are usually very close to the prototype shown.

Ok, I was intrigued by this apparently never ending debate on coat's color. I think it's pretty much evident that the parka is brown, but I admit that the last time I watched ESB on BR and I focused on this detail, sometimes the blue filter make the fact less clear.
So I picked up my dvd ripped copy of 1993 Laserdisc edition of the OT, that according to wikipedia is only time-compressed (no further alteration) and took about 20 snapshots of the scenes involving the infamous coat. Here they are:
1_zpsff9ed79c.jpg

2_zps9c16b622.jpg

3_zpse0455bf1.jpg

4_zps54a7bcb6.jpg

5_zps5c63386f.jpg

6_zps3d515244.jpg

7_zpsf7eae06a.jpg

8_zps010112ee.jpg

9_zps344188a1.jpg

10_zps89fd98bc.jpg

11_zps2eda44d0.jpg

12_zpsc0f26dff.jpg

13_zps945ef477.jpg

14_zpse4f06d85.jpg

14b_zpsd3d507dd.jpg

15_zps69cd2f96.jpg

17_zps8bf0e8a7.jpg

18_zps1e17317a.jpg

19_zpsb0a6503e.jpg

20_zpsca6e8ae2.jpg

21_zpsb28c5dca.jpg

If the outdoors can still be somehow unclear, the indoor shots leave no doubts, IMHO.

Back