Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a look at my Blu-ray, DVD and unedited Laserdisc and aside from a few split seconds here and there where it looks brown when it catches the light in a certain way, it overwhelming looks blue in all the scenes. A lot of those scenes also include browns which have been unaffected by the light.

The original coat may very well have been brown, but it looks blue in the movie so I'm ordering the blue coat. While I think it's a low act from sideshow to split this into two releases, at least people get to choose what they want to fit their vision of Empire Strikes Back. To me, blue represents the screen character and all my memories of Hoth Han.

Thanks for posting those. Looks like brown weathering on his blue coat. In other words, dirt.

Note that in this shot even the snow covering his jacket fluctuates from white to dirty brownish. It's Star Wars. Everybody is weathered. That doesn't mean they're all wearing brown.

BrownCoat9copy_zpsec91c48c.jpg~original

Just had a look at my Blu-ray, DVD and unedited Laserdisc and aside from a few split seconds here and there where it looks brown when it catches the light in a certain way, it overwhelming looks blue in all the scenes. A lot of those scenes also include browns which have been unaffected by the light.

Yep.

This afternoon I had the pleasure of speaking with Gary Kurtz. I am pretty sure that most hear know who this is and his role in the first two Star Wars films.

Although my conversation was not related to this debate I did let him know what was happening and as curious for his thoughts.

He confirmed without hesitation that the jacket worn by Han Solo was brown, and only brown. The filming miniatures were made concurrently with filming in Norway, and that the reason the miniature jacket was made in blue was due to the fact that the miniatures were filmed on a sound stage. The jacket was to help give the Hoth blue saturation effect of frigid weather.

According to him it was well known ahead of tme that the color tone of hoth was going to be very different than the real snow and skies on location. So in order to keep some form of continuity for post production the landscape, snow filament, painted back drop, and the puppets had do be done in colors that would aide the effect on location.

This is direct from the films producers mouth, and should end the debate.

Harrison Ford: brown coat

For the purposes of the sideshow figure both choice are correct depending on which you are referring......real person or miniature.

Hope this has helped.

This what I've been saying! :)

Most of us in the pro-blue camp don't dispute the actual coat was brown. It's whether you think the figure should represent how it appeared on-screen.

Let the debate continue! :horse

I totally understand, and that's why I think having a choice of coat color was a great move by SS.

As I said before..........it's all a matter of preference on the color option one chooses for their personal figure. I am just thrilled that both Luke and Solo Hoth figures are being released.

I have some grips about the gloves and boots, but outside of that there are some great pros on these figures. Come on Serang designed the outfit so you know that's going to be outstanding right off the bat. Trevor Grove on the sculpt.......awesome.

Hey guys,

I just got off the phone with Harrison Ford and before we hung up I asked him what color parka he wore on Hoth. He said blue. Direct from the actor himself. I guess that ends the debate!

Lol! Tell me is he as boring on the phone as he is during interviews? :hi5:

In all honesty I am trying to convince anyone of what is right vs wrong. I have the friendships with many people who worked on the film, and I thought factual information was a good thing to have. I personally think blue looks awesome, and thought his jacket was blue until I handled it in person. Prior to that it never occurred to me that it wasn't blue. Quite a shock to he truthful.

No big deal it's all good.

Hey guys,

I just got off the phone with Harrison Ford and before we hung up I asked him what color parka he wore on Hoth. He said blue. Direct from the actor himself. I guess that ends the debate!

He most likely told you, "Who gives a ****?"

Lol! Tell me is he as boring on the phone as he is during interviews? :hi5:

Not really. He did say he thought Sideshow was "full of ****" for making people buy two figures to get each coat though. :monkey3

Seriously though and switching gears for a second I really hope Sideshow throws in a cloth hat to complete his Echo Base look. It was always either on his belt or in his hands when he was talking to 3PO, the rebel officers, and taking note of the dead tauntaun. I feel like it's a pretty important accessory to overlook.

click

Not really. He did say he thought Sideshow was "full of ****" for making people buy two figures to get each coat though. :monkey3

Seriously though and switching gears for a second I really hope Sideshow throws in a cloth hat to complete his Echo Base look. It was always either on his belt or in his hands when he was talking to 3PO, the rebel officers, and taking note of the dead tauntaun. I feel like it's a pretty important accessory to overlook.

click

Good call on the hat!

It would be nice if they included it. :thud:

I kinda doubt it. They aren't including bare hands, and I wonder how the jacket will be finished off under those gauntlets IF you can even take those off.

Damn, the pointed finger of Ford would have been awesome. :(

Assuming you aren't messing with us Hollywood how did you come to interact with Gary Kurtz? I kind of regret not approaching him at CV. There was hardly ever anyone at his table. I probably could have chatted at length with him.

Assuming you aren't messing with us Hollywood how did you come to interact with Gary Kurtz? I kind of regret not approaching him at CV. There was hardly ever anyone at his table. I probably could have chatted at length with him.

I collect screen used props and costumes with a primary focus on the Star Wars films. I met him back in the mid 1990's and continued an acquaintance friendship with him. I was actually asking him about a piece I am considering that had come from his collection years ago.

I am not "friends" with him, it is mostly business, and he is a pretty nice guy.

Cool. Thanks for specifying. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the notion that Harrison's actual coat was brown. We're all looking at the same images but what I'm seeing is blue fabric with brown grime. It seems most people in the "blue" camp agree that it was really brown but translated blue on screen. Why doesn't his belt look blue? Or his hair or anything? Is there a shade of brown that is bluish? Some random color that I don't know about but that you guys are all keying into? Something under the floor, not in the plans? I don't know. It's a real headscratcher to me.

Cool. Thanks for specifying. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the notion that Harrison's actual coat was brown. We're all looking at the same images but what I'm seeing is blue fabric with brown grime. It seems most people in the "blue" camp agree that it was really brown but translated blue on screen. Why doesn't his belt look blue? Or his hair or anything? Is there a shade of brown that is bluish? Some random color that I don't know about but that you guys are all keying into? Something under the floor, not in the plans? I don't know. It's a real headscratcher to me.

Your. Not crazy.

The material is kinda strange that it's made of, much like the bespin jacket. It takes on a few colors depending on lighting. The bespin jacket is a medium to dark gray / slight blue hue color, yet for whatever reason it appears blue on screen in most scenes.

As a person who has some wardrobe from all the films I can say to you that the original trilogy stuff follows no true ryhm or reason and each piece differs. No two piece of the same item are exactly the same.

It's all good man.

Why should I care what the jacket looks like in an exhibit when it looks nothing like what I see in the movie?

:exactly: I buy my figures for how I remember the movie, not from what I saw in a glass box. Fascinating discussion though, I never even thought about the colour of the coat 'til now.

Exactly to both. I display my figures with my vintage Kenners and the Hoth Han is blue, that's all I remember seeing on the screen as a well.

We all know it's BROWN, refer to the above as to why people are buying blue.

click

I think SS is full of ---- for not making the unhatted head standard with the regular version of the figure and only available as an exclusive . The regular version of Luke comes with both types of heads so why not han???

You should know that you can't bring facts to an internet discussion, it's just so out of place! ;) That's like bringing a gun to a knife fight (not the other way round of course).

We all know the facts, I think you're missing the point as to why people want Blue. Is anyone actually stating that the coat used was not actually Brown?

Back