Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But thats what Im saying....No one knows what it "officially" is "supposed" to be. Fans just state their opinions of what they think it "might" be, but there is no official statement by anyone who worked on the film. All we have seen is a screen used Brown Coat, many people have photographed it. But there has never been a Blue Coat ever shown to the public. Plus many of those props were destroyed back in the day. I know it looks blue at times on screen, but was it supposed to be blue and they used brown fabric with blue filters to get it to their desired blue? (this lighting effect happens all the time in movies) OR was it supposed to be brown, but the blue lighting made the brown look blue?....No fans really know the true answer....

The true answer is to trust your senses.

As for props, the Tippet puppet is blue with brown highlights. Draw your own conclusions.

But the puppet could be Blue because of the blue lighting they were going for on live action Hoth. The puppet was shot in a completely different place on a completely different set with different lighting. By making the puppet blue could have been for a number of reasons so that the lighting matched what was going on with live action.

I think the blue just looks more interesting than the brown. Plus, it appears more blue to me in the film, even if it was a trick of the lights

I have the Region 2 set that came in a tin, containing copies of the films in both their Original Theatrical versions and Special Edition; a separate SE set; and the Blu-ray. It's hard to detect anything but a genuinely brown cold weather coat being worn by Harrison; while his short jacket is undeniably blue.

I think we may have seen the same movie. What are the odds, that of all the people in the world and all the people here in the forum, two people would have seen the exact same movie, right in the same thread? ;) Clearly lots of people in the thread have seen a similar-sounding movie, but it must not have been The Empire Strikes Back.

I don't know why we didn't just have you watch the movie and tell us what you saw, given that none of us have eyes.

But the puppet could be Blue because of the blue lighting they were going for on live action Hoth. The puppet was shot in a completely different place on a completely different set with different lighting. By making the puppet blue could have been for a number of reasons so that the lighting matched what was going on with live action.

So if they wanted the puppet to match the lighting, what does it say about the value they placed on the effect of the lighting? It could be that they wanted the jacket to appear blue because brown contrasted too much with the desired perception of frigidity. It could be because they didn't want the puppet to be inconsistent with the full sized costume. It could be that they didn't want the costume to clash with the puppet. I don't know. I guess it's weird that there's no official statement. Maybe they're too amused by the controversy. Maybe they don't remember. Maybe they don't care.

Last edited:
Right, thats my feeling, the jacket is Brown but with the blue lighting they wanted for Hoth, the jacket looks blue. Im just sticking to that theory until a screen used Blue Hoth jacket pops up :lol

Also for all the Cosplay people out there, most get replica jackets that are brown. A lot of them are really die-hard fans and study the costumes to the smallest detail.

I think brown is the best choice for the SSC figure if you want accuracy because the only known screen used jacket is brown. If you just want it to look more like a particular Hoth scene, going with Blue is fine, just keep in mind its blue is mainly due to the lighting.

Right, thats my feeling, the jacket is Brown but with the blue lighting they wanted for Hoth, the jacket looks blue. Im just sticking to that theory until a screen used Blue Hoth jacket pops up :lol

Also for all the Cosplay people out there, most get replica jackets that are brown. A lot of them are really die-hard fans and study the costumes to the smallest detail.

I think brown is the best choice for the SSC figure if you want accuracy because the only known screen used jacket is brown. If you just want it to look more like a particular Hoth scene, going with Blue is fine, just keep in mind its blue is mainly due to the lighting.

Why should I care what the jacket looks like in an exhibit when it looks nothing like what I see in the movie?

Thanks, for that silentman.

That coat looks remarkably....brown.

If this was the first version Harmy, then it may look different after his later colour corrections.

No problem! Harmy has only released one version of ESB so far, so I don't know what may differ when he takes another pass at it for version 2.0. But yeah, pretty much brown in every scene I checked.

Thanks for that, silentman.

That coat looks remarkably....brown.

If this was the first version Harmy, then it may look different after his later colour corrections.

It was brown. The jacket in the exhibit is brown. I imagine the more of the color from the original film is removed, the more brown it will appear, and less like the color of the puppet.

And there's the puzzle!

I was actually just making a joke that sometimes it seems like only a few people posting in the thread have actually ever seen the movie. ;) In terms of Home Video releases, besides the more recent SE versions, I've also seen all 3 original movies on LaserDisc in the early 90's. Brown there too.

Well, I gotta say that all those screenshots that you put up, silentman, the coat is most definitely brown.

But that is the first time I have ever seen it look that way. As far back as I can remember, it has always looked blue. I saw it opening day in 1980 and it never struck me as anything but blue. Every single time I have seen it from that day forward, in all different formats, from the movie theater to broadcast TV to VHS to DVD, it has been blue. Even the most recent broadcast on Spike the other week looked blue and nothing at all like the screenshots you put up, and this last time I was TRYING to see it brown.

But there you go. Brown.

Why should I care what the jacket looks like in an exhibit when it looks nothing like what I see in the movie?

:exactly: I buy my figures for how I remember the movie, not from what I saw in a glass box. Fascinating discussion though, I never even thought about the colour of the coat 'til now.

Here's my thing with this. I've read (and I'm assuming it's true. It'll make this point easier if it is) that the Lone Rangers mask on the old TV series was purple. His scarf was not red, his gloves were also a different color. For whatever reason, it was to get a certain appearance on screen. I'll grant it was b&w, but I'm still talking about "appearance". Sooooo, do I want a Lone Ranger figure with a purple mask, just because the prop really was, or do I want a black mask because that's what was the intended look is? Blue coat for me, and I'm cool with how SS set it up. I'd never display a brown coat. It's like asking for a white cape for Vader too, having a 2nd color it never was because you might want to change up the look once in a while. If you like the brown coat, cool. Get that one.

Oddly enough I always pictured it as blue (likely the Kenner influence) until I specifically went looking at the only two versions I have (Harmy 1.0 and those dreadful 2006 bonus DVD theatrical releases) and it appears mostly brown in both.

I've been following Harmy's progress on ESB 2.0 and it seems like he hasn't been able to pin down a really solid original color reference like he did for Star Wars, so I assume the debate will rage on once that's released as well.

Ultimately I'm glad Sideshow released blue and brown, but I really, really wish they had included them both in one exclusive.

The coat is supposed to look brown on screen. Just like all the other Hoth outfits worn by the rebels. They're all in taupes. All of them. The lighting, independently of the garments, is there to give everything a cold look. This isn't the same thing as picking certain colors to create tonality in B&W filming. And the Lone Ranger example is easy enough to rebuff when official and original color illustrations of the time used the colors you're thinking of. The correct example that parallels ESB would be to grab a Black and White Lone Ranger figure just because it was originally filmed/shown in B&W. That wouldn't make much sense would it?

:exactly: I buy my figures for how I remember the movie, not from what I saw in a glass box. Fascinating discussion though, I never even thought about the colour of the coat 'til now.

Good post. I like the blue, I ordered blue. I will probably try to secure a brown jacket at release just in case I ever get a Taun taun, because I think he looks cool in the pics with a brown jacket on the Taun taun. I know, crazy, right?

I sometimes think I am overly critical, but I thank god I am not such a putz that I have to slave over frames of a film or argue about how many times I've seen ESB and what formats to help me make a decision as to what I like.

Must be some small 'nads on this forum to warrant such fervent, "my opinion is right, I saw ESB, blah, blah, blah,,," arguments. :lol

Here's another thought. Depending on what kind of dye they used to get the coat the color they wanted, if it was in quite a bit of ice and snow and water from the snow melting on it, it could have washed away a majority of the color leaving it look brown in most scenes and blue in others depending on what reel they used after editing. They did have a lot of problems on set in the snow and who's to say the coat started out blue and turned a purple-like brown. When blue dye is washed out it turns a purple or brown.

I always thought it was blue when I saw it on screen in 1980 but it wasn't until I saw the exhibit in person at Celebration 3 that I believed differently.

Maybe they didn't pack enough coats for the Hoth scenes after the dye leaked off. It could happen.

Back