Sideshow GODZILLA Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one were to bid $400, and win for that much, would you relinquish or relist? :faq

I think ebay will let you pull and auction any time without penalty, but that would be a really low thing to do, now wouldn't it?

I can guarantee you it'll go for more than 400 during the last few seconds.

I think you need to read through the last couple pages of posts and question who you should be asking not to hate.

Also, "relative terms" and "opinions" are not facts. Even those opinions which I share with you, such as that this piece is overpriced (as are most expensive statutes in the industry) are not fact -- they are simply opinion; and when those opinions are shared by many they are still opinions and not facts.

Well said Morgolking :) There are alot of personal opinions being asserted as 'fact' on these forums and it's becoming tedious.

Grabbed this guy courtesy of knightline (eBay). Rolled the dice, both with the piece itself and the auction, and I'm actually glad I did. In all, I am happy with it. He's currently on display in my living room, and he'll be there for a while. I liked him at 2014 SDCC, and I still do. To those wondering, yes, there are some remaining beefs. I'll offer some thoughts to go with my photos, though.

*All photos are from a Samsung Note 4 using Snap Camera, a camera app that tries to approximate raw photos w/ some HD filtering. Other than adding grunge borders, I did no noteworthy Photoshopping.

gojira_maquette_1.jpg

gojira_maquette_2.jpg

gojira_maquette_3.jpg

The following 4 photos show the most detail. With this piece, I'm learning that lighting and location are everything. It has detail, but the whole thing looks best in low light, natural light, or against specific colors. The HD filter the camera app applies is also a bit strong here.

gojira_maquette_4.jpg

gojira_maquette_5.jpg

gojira_maquette_6.jpg

gojira_maquette_7.jpg

To balance those with something more akin to what's been seen everywhere else, I took photos until I produced this. At night, especially bathed in incandescent lamp light, it does look very monochromatic. When this is the case, it's pretty dull.

gojira_maquette_8.jpg

Overall, it's about lighting, location, and your preferences. Seeing it in person helped me. He definitely has a presence. The lack of intense skin detail, the litter box base, light weight, and inaccurate feet are cons, but I'm content.

gojira_maquette_9.jpg

Congratulations, How 2 Train Your Kaiju. I’ve had my Godzilla maquette for a few weeks now, and I stare at it every day, endlessly impressed with its drama, stature, thematic cleverness and overall majesty. In my opinion, this is one of the few Sideshow pieces that truly qualifies as a museum-level work of art.

Everyone interprets what they see differently, of course. I’ve read all the complaints posted on this thread, and, well, I simply couldn’t disagree more. Since we’re all entitled to our views, here is mine…

To begin with, the monochromatic color scheme is inspired. The even gray tone with subtle shading allows intricate detail to be plainly visible, also reinforcing the psychological idea that the piece belongs in a museum rather than a toy shop (statues in a museum aren’t painted to look like garish action figures).

Most importantly, the bleak color scheme is both logically and thematically astute. Godzilla looks as if his hide has been dusted with radioactive soot… which makes perfect sense, considering that he’s standing on the debris of a destroyed nuclear facility. G at his best is an anti-nuke icon, a walking metaphor for atomic devastation. This maquette captures that idea better than any Godzilla collectible I’ve ever seen… even better than the recent movie, which shifts the dread for most of its running time to less interesting MUTOs. Here, the Big G is front and center, at the heart of a somber apocalypse. It’s the best possible use of this character, imo.

We should remind ourselves that 1954’s GOJIRA remains the strongest Godzilla movie because it presents its scorched earth warning in appropriately somber tones, just as this maquette does. Every now and then unsophisticated G fans suggest colorizing Honda’s classic, showing just how oblivious they are to the wisdom of using bleak color (or even non-color) to drive home a devastatingly bleak message. On the other statue thread, someone even re-painted this maquette in joyous Christmas tree hues, with vibrant blues, golds, and silvers. Not surprisingly, fans who deemed the original version “unpainted” were ecstatic. Forget the deeper meanings art can inspire, who cares about the appropriately somber end of days warning… pretty colors that dazzle the eye are what many unsophisticated SS collectors prefer. Poor Sideshow. It must be tough trying to create art when many of their customers want toys.

With all due respect, H2TYK, the base is not a “litter box,” but as mentioned, a destroyed nuclear facility. The figure-to-base relationship is part of what makes this maquette a work of art: it is organic both visually (gray monster, gray/dark brown debris, silver rim) and thematically, as I’ve pointed out. By comparison, the new Godzilla statue from SS has a simple circular base with a logo on it, re-enforcing its toy or action figure-like persona.

Complaints about detail: It’s true that some fine detail was lost in the production process, especially in the neck area… but what about the astonishing amount of detail that IS on display, from the complex back spines to the segmented armor plating to those fine little scratch lines within the armored sections? The plain fact is, most civilians who look at the maquette objectively come away feeling like they’ve seen something with great drama AND great detail. And they’re smart enough to get the bleak anti-nuke message, knowing instinctively that the Christmas tree approach is better suited to the taste of little children than to sharper adults.

Complaints about the accuracy of Godzilla’s feet, which are somewhat off-model: Won’t argue this one, folks. It’s a matter of priorities. For me, the ‘issue’ is relatively unimportant. I’d be far more irritated by the bigger-than-it-should-be head of the new SS Godzilla statue than something being slightly off in the toes of this maquette, or whatever the problem happens to be. Again, each to his own priorities.

Complaints that the maquette is hollow, relatively lightweight: Some fans hate SS for going this route, others are grateful that a piece this big doesn’t weigh a ton and demolish their shelves. My view? No one can tell how much this thing weighs by looking at it, just as no rational observer knows – or generally cares - what material the base is made out of. As long as it look great and serves the figure, which this one does beautifully.

Finally, the complaint that started many fans on their fevered hate campaign: the high price. I’m no psychiatrist, but I suspect a fanboy version of unconscious sour grapes. Challenged by the cost, some fans reflexively struck back by desperately trying to convince themselves and others that not only was the piece not worth it, but it was “the worst piece ever, a disgraceful insult, Sideshow should be ashamed, etc.” Pack mentality took over… nerd pack mentality, which can be especially difficult to stomach. It reached its crescendo when the haters started patting themselves on the back and declaring that the piece has been universally accepted as a disaster, inspiring more than one poster here to finally say enough is enough. For the record, the verdict of most YouTube critics, who are also Big G fans, was decidedly positive (“Awesome,” “Fabulous,” “A work of art,” etc.).

Final comments: For God’s sake, haters, take a look at the exquisitely sculpted arms, hands and shoulders of this maquette. Michelangelo would be impressed! Add to these artistic pleasures that gloriously upturned head, overall dramatic power, and figure-to-base thematic punch. Accept the fact that a monochromatic kaiju monster is painted monochromatically, but that this subdued, ashen color scheme is used to make a powerful anti-nuke statement that is 100% appropriate to the character, and elevates the piece’s artfulness. I may not have cared much for the movie it is based on, but being a Gojira fan since childhood, I absolutely adore this maquette and am so pleased that I own one.

And you, H2TYK, are the luckiest dude in town! Enjoy…

Congratulations, How 2 Train Your Kaiju. I’ve had my Godzilla maquette for a few weeks now, and I stare at it every day, endlessly impressed with its drama, stature, thematic cleverness and overall majesty. In my opinion, this is one of the few Sideshow pieces that truly qualifies as a museum-level work of art.

Everyone interprets what they see differently, of course. I’ve read all the complaints posted on this thread, and, well, I simply couldn’t disagree more. Since we’re all entitled to our views, here is mine…

To begin with, the monochromatic color scheme is inspired. The even gray tone with subtle shading allows intricate detail to be plainly visible, also reinforcing the psychological idea that the piece belongs in a museum rather than a toy shop (statues in a museum aren’t painted to look like garish action figures).

Most importantly, the bleak color scheme is both logically and thematically astute. Godzilla looks as if his hide has been dusted with radioactive soot… which makes perfect sense, considering that he’s standing on the debris of a destroyed nuclear facility. G at his best is an anti-nuke icon, a walking metaphor for atomic devastation. This maquette captures that idea better than any Godzilla collectible I’ve ever seen… even better than the recent movie, which shifts the dread for most of its running time to less interesting MUTOs. Here, the Big G is front and center, at the heart of a somber apocalypse. It’s the best possible use of this character, imo.

We should remind ourselves that 1954’s GOJIRA remains the strongest Godzilla movie because it presents its scorched earth warning in appropriately somber tones, just as this maquette does. Every now and then unsophisticated G fans suggest colorizing Honda’s classic, showing just how oblivious they are to the wisdom of using bleak color (or even non-color) to drive home a devastatingly bleak message. On the other statue thread, someone even re-painted this maquette in joyous Christmas tree hues, with vibrant blues, golds, and silvers. Not surprisingly, fans who deemed the original version “unpainted” were ecstatic. Forget the deeper meanings art can inspire, who cares about the appropriately somber end of days warning… pretty colors that dazzle the eye are what many unsophisticated SS collectors prefer. Poor Sideshow. It must be tough trying to create art when many of their customers want toys.

With all due respect, H2TYK, the base is not a “litter box,” but as mentioned, a destroyed nuclear facility. The figure-to-base relationship is part of what makes this maquette a work of art: it is organic both visually (gray monster, gray/dark brown debris, silver rim) and thematically, as I’ve pointed out. By comparison, the new Godzilla statue from SS has a simple circular base with a logo on it, re-enforcing its toy or action figure-like persona.

Complaints about detail: It’s true that some fine detail was lost in the production process, especially in the neck area… but what about the astonishing amount of detail that IS on display, from the complex back spines to the segmented armor plating to those fine little scratch lines within the armored sections? The plain fact is, most civilians who look at the maquette objectively come away feeling like they’ve seen something with great drama AND great detail. And they’re smart enough to get the bleak anti-nuke message, knowing instinctively that the Christmas tree approach is better suited to the taste of little children than to sharper adults.

Complaints about the accuracy of Godzilla’s feet, which are somewhat off-model: Won’t argue this one, folks. It’s a matter of priorities. For me, the ‘issue’ is relatively unimportant. I’d be far more irritated by the bigger-than-it-should-be head of the new SS Godzilla statue than something being slightly off in the toes of this maquette, or whatever the problem happens to be. Again, each to his own priorities.

Complaints that the maquette is hollow, relatively lightweight: Some fans hate SS for going this route, others are grateful that a piece this big doesn’t weigh a ton and demolish their shelves. My view? No one can tell how much this thing weighs by looking at it, just as no rational observer knows – or generally cares - what material the base is made out of. As long as it look great and serves the figure, which this one does beautifully.

Finally, the complaint that started many fans on their fevered hate campaign: the high price. I’m no psychiatrist, but I suspect a fanboy version of unconscious sour grapes. Challenged by the cost, some fans reflexively struck back by desperately trying to convince themselves and others that not only was the piece not worth it, but it was “the worst piece ever, a disgraceful insult, Sideshow should be ashamed, etc.” Pack mentality took over… nerd pack mentality, which can be especially difficult to stomach. It reached its crescendo when the haters started patting themselves on the back and declaring that the piece has been universally accepted as a disaster, inspiring more than one poster here to finally say enough is enough. For the record, the verdict of most YouTube critics, who are also Big G fans, was decidedly positive (“Awesome,” “Fabulous,” “A work of art,” etc.).

Final comments: For God’s sake, haters, take a look at the exquisitely sculpted arms, hands and shoulders of this maquette. Michelangelo would be impressed! Add to these artistic pleasures that gloriously upturned head, overall dramatic power, and figure-to-base thematic punch. Accept the fact that a monochromatic kaiju monster is painted monochromatically, but that this subdued, ashen color scheme is used to make a powerful anti-nuke statement that is 100% appropriate to the character, and elevates the piece’s artfulness. I may not have cared much for the movie it is based on, but being a Gojira fan since childhood, I absolutely adore this maquette and am so pleased that I own one.

And you, H2TYK, are the luckiest dude in town! Enjoy…

If you like the statue that's fine with me, I don't care what other people think either way, however, you offer your personal thoughts towards and evoked by the piece almost as if they are facts overlooked by those who take issue with it, and they're not fact.

I agree with you that some of the descriptions of the base, people offer criticism with ridiculous words but the reasoning behind them isn't so ridiculous. Box of kitty litter is farfetched, but, the debris of it is very minimalistic and hardly and pieces standing out a building chunks, more dirty and rock, and I think many would prefer something with pieces of building still standing and elements that make you feel like he's standing among the ruins of a city. If you choose to believe the base represents something particular, that's fine, the fun of collecting is injecting our own thoughts into what we see and adding to our personal value, but, Sideshow's official description is "Dominating over a landscape reduced to rubble with his atomic roar..." and nothing in there defines it as rubble of a nuclear reactor. Honestly, considering this piece does come off more like a museum piece to embody the character, I almost feel like the base on the new statue would be more fitting for this and this base more fitting for that piece with its action oriented pose.

"To begin with, the monochromatic color scheme is inspired. The even gray tone with subtle shading allows intricate detail to be plainly visible, also reinforcing the psychological idea that the piece belongs in a museum rather than a toy shop (statues in a museum aren’t painted to look like garish action figures)."

Not sure what's inspired about it, but, it's not film accurate and as demonstrated by the photo study recently in this thread, it doesn't pop the details very well unless you have the right lighting conditions, conditions which aren't necessarily standard for home display location. The simpler paint scheme might play better of the detail were sharper like the new statue, but as softened as the fine details are, paint work the brings out all that detail would make it more effective under any lighting scenario. I also highly disagree that this paint scheme sets it at museum quality and something else would venture into toy realm.

I could easily see these in a museum and they are not monochromatic.

attachment.php

lPMop5X.jpg

"Most importantly, the bleak color scheme is both logically and thematically astute. Godzilla looks as if his hide has been dusted with radioactive soot… which makes perfect sense, considering that he’s standing on the debris of a destroyed nuclear facility. G at his best is an anti-nuke icon, a walking metaphor for atomic devastation. This maquette captures that idea better than any Godzilla collectible I’ve ever seen… even better than the recent movie, which shifts the dread for most of its running time to less interesting MUTOs. Here, the Big G is front and center, at the heart of a somber apocalypse. It’s the best possible use of this character, imo."

First off, what distinguishes radioactive soot from any soot besides personal viewpoint and once again wanting to see it as him standing on a destroyed nuclear facility? As I mentioned already, if you want to see it this way, fine, but it's very logical for others to not care for the base or soot effect because to them it is no the things you choose to see it as. Had Sideshow specifically said this is the situation being depicted, maybe more people would feel like you, but it's a generic debris base and a soot looking paint scheme, which in any debris situation makes sense, but would still ideally be worked into an overall paint scheme that pops the sculpt work and captures the design the piece is based on. I also don't see how this represents the metaphor Godzilla was created to stand for, I think the overall pose captures a sense of his power and him being above everything, but he comes off like a powerful, giant animal, not so much nuclear weapons on two legs.

"We should remind ourselves that 1954’s GOJIRA remains the strongest Godzilla movie because it presents its scorched earth warning in appropriately somber tones, just as this maquette does. Every now and then unsophisticated G fans suggest colorizing Honda’s classic, showing just how oblivious they are to the wisdom of using bleak color (or even non-color) to drive home a devastatingly bleak message. On the other statue thread, someone even re-painted this maquette in joyous Christmas tree hues, with vibrant blues, golds, and silvers. Not surprisingly, fans who deemed the original version “unpainted” were ecstatic. Forget the deeper meanings art can inspire, who cares about the appropriately somber end of days warning… pretty colors that dazzle the eye are what many unsophisticated SS collectors prefer. Poor Sideshow. It must be tough trying to create art when many of their customers want toys."

I'm not sure where you've seen this crazy colored paint scheme, I follow every Godzilla thread here and most that would mention such a thing at Tohokingdom or reddit and have never seen it. I don't think anyone in this thread who wants an enhanced paint job on this piece would ever feel Gojira needs to be colored, the black and white is what makes it what it is, and if anything, I personally would like to see a black and white Godzilla once again. That said, part of what works about Gojira is that because it was black and white, the lighting often has a very strong and powerful contrast level, deep blacks and vibrant whites, it's extremely cinematic.

NECA painted their Gojira black and white. Under the right lighting conditions, it's no more visually powerful than a colored figure.

22054510581_7f42f1ea81_c.jpg

If anything, people looking for enhanced paint work are looking for the paint to compensate for the lack of cinematic lighting in the home and make the piece pop in ways the camera might do for the simple painted suit or CGI model.

It's also a matter of personal taste, some collectors may feel like you and want the piece to have an emotional feel to it that may benefit from a particular paint scheme. Others, buying an expensive piece based specifically on a design and being sold for representing that design, want it as close to the source as possible.

Granted, there's no chance of getting a mass production piece painted to the level of detail as a CGI model, but it's clearly not a monochromatic design.

zbrush-mpc1.jpg

"Final comments: For God’s sake, haters, take a look at the exquisitely sculpted arms, hands and shoulders of this maquette. Michelangelo would be impressed! Add to these artistic pleasures that gloriously upturned head, overall dramatic power, and figure-to-base thematic punch. Accept the fact that a monochromatic kaiju monster is painted monochromatically, but that this subdued, ashen color scheme is used to make a powerful anti-nuke statement that is 100% appropriate to the character, and elevates the piece’s artfulness. I may not have cared much for the movie it is based on, but being a Gojira fan since childhood, I absolutely adore this maquette and am so pleased that I own one."

For someone who opens with a statement like this "Everyone interprets what they see differently, of course. I’ve read all the complaints posted on this thread, and, well, I simply couldn’t disagree more. Since we’re all entitled to our views, here is mine…"

Your overall post comes off a bit close minded, reading like "are you people blind" and wanting to point out all the things people are "missing" to be hating on this piece.

You offer some great reasons and ways to take joy in this piece and I'm sure the views are shared by plenty, but you have to also accept that having a negative outlook on this piece is not without merit.

Regardless, I do agree with you that on the negative side, there are those who can't articulate an opinion beyond the argument level of a 5th grader, but there's plenty of room for well thought out and reasoned complaints against this piece.

Some interesting discussion has certainly ensued!

Overall, I find myself torn between sides. I don't regret saying any of the things I've said since July. Yet, I still find myself satisfied. I went from thrilled (SDCC), to worried (seeing other QC issues with things like the Big Chap LSB), to disappointed (initial reviews and photos), to delightfully-though-mildly content (getting a great deal plus seeing it in person).

In the end, I am choosing to accept this as one of many interpretations of Godzilla, but not necessarily as the 2014 Godzilla. To those wanting the 2014 Godzilla, it does fall a bit short. A decent repaint and this could be a killer piece.

If you like the statue that's fine with me, I don't care what other people think either way, however, you offer your personal thoughts towards and evoked by the piece almost as if they are facts overlooked by those who take issue with it, and they're not fact.

To be fair he did start with...

Since we’re all entitled to our views, here is mine…

To be fair he did start with...

True, but then much of what is said from that point forward comes off more like criticism of the viewpoints of critics than talking up the pros of the piece, and personal feelings are offered up like stone hard fact. If someone's going to counter and opinion and open with a statement saying people are entitled to it, then talk about why you feel what you do about the piece and not how the other people are wrong.

Did this dude just reference Michelangelo? Seriously. Let's assume that this is the best piece every produced by Sideshow. It would be far from meeting the expectations of someone who painted the Sistine Chapel. Oh my god, I can't stop laughing. How old is he? Five? It's like saying Kanye West is more inspiring than Jesus. Keep it coming though. Very entertaining.

I agree with you that some of the descriptions of the base, people offer criticism with ridiculous words but the reasoning behind them isn't so ridiculous. Box of kitty litter is farfetched, but, the debris of it is very minimalistic and hardly and pieces standing out a building chunks, more dirty and rock, and I think many would prefer something with pieces of building still standing and elements that make you feel like he's standing among the ruins of a city. If you choose to believe the base represents something particular, that's fine, the fun of collecting is injecting our own thoughts into what we see and adding to our personal value, but, Sideshow's official description is "Dominating over a landscape reduced to rubble with his atomic roar..." and nothing in there defines it as rubble of a nuclear reactor. Honestly, considering this piece does come off more like a museum piece to embody the character, I almost feel like the base on the new statue would be more fitting for this and this base more fitting for that piece with its action oriented pose.

"To begin with, the monochromatic color scheme is inspired. The even gray tone with subtle shading allows intricate detail to be plainly visible, also reinforcing the psychological idea that the piece belongs in a museum rather than a toy shop (statues in a museum aren’t painted to look like garish action figures)."

Not sure what's inspired about it, but, it's not film accurate and as demonstrated by the photo study recently in this thread, it doesn't pop the details very well unless you have the right lighting conditions, conditions which aren't necessarily standard for home display location. The simpler paint scheme might play better of the detail were sharper like the new statue, but as softened as the fine details are, paint work the brings out all that detail would make it more effective under any lighting scenario. I also highly disagree that this paint scheme sets it at museum quality and something else would venture into toy realm.

I could easily see these in a museum and they are not monochromatic.

attachment.php

lPMop5X.jpg

"Most importantly, the bleak color scheme is both logically and thematically astute. Godzilla looks as if his hide has been dusted with radioactive soot… which makes perfect sense, considering that he’s standing on the debris of a destroyed nuclear facility. G at his best is an anti-nuke icon, a walking metaphor for atomic devastation. This maquette captures that idea better than any Godzilla collectible I’ve ever seen… even better than the recent movie, which shifts the dread for most of its running time to less interesting MUTOs. Here, the Big G is front and center, at the heart of a somber apocalypse. It’s the best possible use of this character, imo."

First off, what distinguishes radioactive soot from any soot besides personal viewpoint and once again wanting to see it as him standing on a destroyed nuclear facility? As I mentioned already, if you want to see it this way, fine, but it's very logical for others to not care for the base or soot effect because to them it is no the things you choose to see it as. Had Sideshow specifically said this is the situation being depicted, maybe more people would feel like you, but it's a generic debris base and a soot looking paint scheme, which in any debris situation makes sense, but would still ideally be worked into an overall paint scheme that pops the sculpt work and captures the design the piece is based on. I also don't see how this represents the metaphor Godzilla was created to stand for, I think the overall pose captures a sense of his power and him being above everything, but he comes off like a powerful, giant animal, not so much nuclear weapons on two legs.

"We should remind ourselves that 1954’s GOJIRA remains the strongest Godzilla movie because it presents its scorched earth warning in appropriately somber tones, just as this maquette does. Every now and then unsophisticated G fans suggest colorizing Honda’s classic, showing just how oblivious they are to the wisdom of using bleak color (or even non-color) to drive home a devastatingly bleak message. On the other statue thread, someone even re-painted this maquette in joyous Christmas tree hues, with vibrant blues, golds, and silvers. Not surprisingly, fans who deemed the original version “unpainted” were ecstatic. Forget the deeper meanings art can inspire, who cares about the appropriately somber end of days warning… pretty colors that dazzle the eye are what many unsophisticated SS collectors prefer. Poor Sideshow. It must be tough trying to create art when many of their customers want toys."

I'm not sure where you've seen this crazy colored paint scheme, I follow every Godzilla thread here and most that would mention such a thing at Tohokingdom or reddit and have never seen it. I don't think anyone in this thread who wants an enhanced paint job on this piece would ever feel Gojira needs to be colored, the black and white is what makes it what it is, and if anything, I personally would like to see a black and white Godzilla once again. That said, part of what works about Gojira is that because it was black and white, the lighting often has a very strong and powerful contrast level, deep blacks and vibrant whites, it's extremely cinematic.

NECA painted their Gojira black and white. Under the right lighting conditions, it's no more visually powerful than a colored figure.

22054510581_7f42f1ea81_c.jpg

If anything, people looking for enhanced paint work are looking for the paint to compensate for the lack of cinematic lighting in the home and make the piece pop in ways the camera might do for the simple painted suit or CGI model.

It's also a matter of personal taste, some collectors may feel like you and want the piece to have an emotional feel to it that may benefit from a particular paint scheme. Others, buying an expensive piece based specifically on a design and being sold for representing that design, want it as close to the source as possible.

Granted, there's no chance of getting a mass production piece painted to the level of detail as a CGI model, but it's clearly not a monochromatic design.

zbrush-mpc1.jpg

"Final comments: For God’s sake, haters, take a look at the exquisitely sculpted arms, hands and shoulders of this maquette. Michelangelo would be impressed! Add to these artistic pleasures that gloriously upturned head, overall dramatic power, and figure-to-base thematic punch. Accept the fact that a monochromatic kaiju monster is painted monochromatically, but that this subdued, ashen color scheme is used to make a powerful anti-nuke statement that is 100% appropriate to the character, and elevates the piece’s artfulness. I may not have cared much for the movie it is based on, but being a Gojira fan since childhood, I absolutely adore this maquette and am so pleased that I own one."

For someone who opens with a statement like this "Everyone interprets what they see differently, of course. I’ve read all the complaints posted on this thread, and, well, I simply couldn’t disagree more. Since we’re all entitled to our views, here is mine…"

Your overall post comes off a bit close minded, reading like "are you people blind" and wanting to point out all the things people are "missing" to be hating on this piece.

You offer some great reasons and ways to take joy in this piece and I'm sure the views are shared by plenty, but you have to also accept that having a negative outlook on this piece is not without merit.

Regardless, I do agree with you that on the negative side, there are those who can't articulate an opinion beyond the argument level of a 5th grader, but there's plenty of room for well thought out and reasoned complaints against this piece.

The only thing that is perfectly clear is...you've wasted way too much time, thinking about an inanimate object, based on something that never existed. I will never understand how people can think things to death, especially something like this, but whatever floats your boat.

P.S. TLDR

This just in: The Vatican agrees with garygerani that Michelangelo would, indeed, be inspired by this extraordinary Godzilla piece and, therefore, it will be permanently placed next to Michelangelo's Pieta statue in St. Peter's Basilica so that the world may admire these two masterpieces together...

(sorry...the Michelangelo reference put me over the top)

Back