Sideshow GODZILLA Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, one sold for $345 on Ebay and buyer didn't pay so it is now relisted. Holy Macaroni, that's like 50% off. Messed up.

I woiuld check your statue I found a couple spots on mine today that the paint was starting to lift and could be flaked off if really tried.

Well, I got the maquette for a discounted price and trying to repaint it myself. Any suggestion from painters? I knew it'll cost 2-3 cans of Tamiya gloss (matt) black for sure.

Leprechaun is right, Lugal. Leave the piece alone. The maquette as conceived by SS provides a powerful "nuclear winter" statement that not only unites figure to base, but elevates what is already a terrific sculpt into a legitimate work of art... Godzilla as a metaphor for atomic doomsday, the character's finest creative use. No reason to waste money ruining it with a less sophisticated paint job that destroys subtlety and diminishes thematic resonance. Each to his own taste, of course.

Hi everyone, long time lurker here and a huge Godzilla fan, after reading almost the entirety of this thread my feeling towards purchasing this Marquette is currently torn. It is on sale right now at Popcultcha for $899 AUD so that's like $642 USD with free shipping for locals. Do you think it's a good buy at this price? I really love the grand size, presence and dynamic pose of this dude, plus I think the proportion and film accuracy beats out any other Godzilla statues such as X Plus or the new SS statue. Yes it is a bit faded and less detailed in the paint and some parts of the sculpt and I don't really care if it doesn't weigh 30kg. I just hope it looks better in person next to my lamp light :p, would people still recommend to get it or it's really not worth it?

I love it, but others have issues with the "I am Death, Destroyer of Worlds" ashen grey color scheme, which to them resembles an unpainted statue. The fact that he's standing on a destroyed nuclear facility base suggests that he is the iconic result of mankind tampering with these doomsday forces; he is living death, and rendered in the appropriate bleak colors that match the base and connect thematically. I found this to be a more powerful anti-nuke artistic statement than the movie itself, which doesn't use the G icon as effectively. As stated over and over again, it's all a matter of taste... or, as Rod Serling once reminded us, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To my eye, this is a sophisticated use of character, base, color and theme that says so much more than just "I'm a super-cool green sea monster with saliva dripping from my jaws. Grrrrrr!!!" But everyone has to call 'em as they see 'em...

Yo Gogiman, if you like it grab it. You don't need anyone's approval. At the end, as long as you're happy with it, then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Do your thing brother.

Not sure if someone already posted this. I thought I saw the person who got the repaint post something similarly colored, but here goes.

Godzilla - Scifiantasy

12631366_10153343307647966_9032908643702951256_n.jpg

12592751_10153343307977966_1649792508818525584_n.jpg

I plan to get mine repainted this year, so I've trying to find good examples. This one is definitely in the lead.

That ones good, still fairly monotone in the gray, though the underbelly coloring is a big help. I don't like how his toenails and claws are bony colored, they aren't in the movie and I don't like how it looks on any products that have done it either.

So I finally took the plunge and now this bad boy is sitting comfortably on my desk:). Took some raw HDR shots using iphone 6+ so apologize for the quality.
IMG_2369.jpgIMG_2370.jpgIMG_2371.jpgIMG_2376.jpg

Your maquette looks gorgeous, gojiman, congrats! Nice lighting, too. As for the repaint posted above, serene blue as the substitute main color seems weaker from a psychological perspective, too pretty and placid. If the base had an indifferent motif rather than a devastating nuclear doomsday one, this would probably work better. And I would have loved a Godzilla with saliva dripping from his jaws when I was child, over-painting and customizing my Aurora monster model kits like all the kids in the neighborhood, but as an adult I prefer a more sophisticated and less goofy approach. Bottom line, as always: stay with the gray!

Thanks garygerani, I love it so much and it indeed turned out better than I expected in person! The sheer size of it, the magnificent sculpt and pose just blow away any other Godzilla statues imo. The grey paint is growing on me now as I imagine it just came out of a nuclear blast and covered in dust just like at the end of the movie. Also really like the rubble laden base as opposed to no base or a generic flat circle, it simply adds so much more detail, drama and compliments Godzilla beautifully.
Could it been more detaily painted in some areas? Sure, but like all figures nothing is perfect and I believe the pros significantly outweigh the cons here. Very satisfied with my purchase.

Wow... the maquette looks awesome, and your eye for dramatic lighting in some of these photos is equally impressive. Take a bow, gojiman! As for your comments about the base, I love the fact that it's almost organically linked with the figure, conceptually and color-wise: nuclear facility blows up, here's the demonstrative result: a "living" nuclear explosion or threat we call Godzilla. Back in 1954, Gojira's head design was actually based on an atomic mushroom cloud, and concept drawings from Toho survive (full front and profile). Your point about the grey nuclear dust on both figure and base is also well-taken, which is why the maquette is so powerful when viewed as a whole. It tells a story and provides a potent doomsday warning at the same time. Analysis aside, it looks so cool in your house (jumps beautifully off those curtains), and you certainly know how to photograph the thing. Enjoy!

Back