Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 1:1 prop replicas the grill is indeed on an angle an it was right on the Anh version, personally doesn't bother me to much, but it was righ last time :dunno

Is this what's meant by the 45 degrees?

vader-lifesize-head-07.jpg

That the grill drops inwards at an angle?

That would explain why the lines look different in various Sideshow photos.

https://www.oohyeahzone.com/collection/cb/cb4b-lifesize-vader.html

Ya know we criticize vader so much that makes me wonder why we dont have a 1/6 face off yet. :lol

Is this what's meant by the 45 degrees?

vader-lifesize-head-07.jpg

That the grill drops inwards at an angle?

That would explain why the lines look different in various Sideshow photos.

https://www.oohyeahzone.com/collection/cb/cb4b-lifesize-vader.html

Correct. It's more like 50 or 60 degrees, but I m not splitting hairs...
Point is, the sideshow sculpt adds to the the flatness of the sculpt by doing that.
That's a common mistake in the depiction of vader, but makes all the difference...

(Much like Artoos head...it is a common misconception that his head is
Half a sphere.
Rather it is an egg shape...the "pointy" end...
And many sculptors get that wrong, resulting in fat headed Artoos --like the new 6" scale by hasbro...
One of the best depictions is the 1/6 scale artoo...correct egg shaped head...)

These subtleties are what gives them those unique traits...if vader had the wrong coloring or number of "teeth", but had the correct angles on his head, he would still look better cuz the prevailing shape of the head would be correct...
Forget the little details,...having the overall correct prevailing shapes and proportions come first...then the details follow...make it worth the price you pay for these higher end collectibles :wink1:

Last edited:
Side Show... Please spend time and read these threads to correct these issues . Yeah some might say too picky but for $250 we should be picky !

Still waiting to see the updated photos of him on SideShow website ..

Last edited:
Side Show... Please spend time and read these threads to correct these issues . Yeah some might seem too picky but for $250 we should be picky !

Still waiting to see the updates photos of him on SideShow website ..

Exactly. many will defend that fairly accurate is good enough. But for 250 plus tax or whetever, it better be close to perfect else this is the last SS i am buying. Plus they have like zillion months to improvise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not digging through this thread to see if this has been mentioned, but i was just thinking if i should order this or not, then saw he doesnt have the hook on his armor to hold the cape chain.
Is this right?

Because this is a action figure not a prop reproduction. :dunno

And still a whole lot of people mod the ***** out of that same action figure to make it look as close to the prop as possible.

In some cases it might not be possible to get it totally accurate, but for the price that they want now it shouldn't look like a bad cosplayer with a Don Post classic action helmet. At least I don't think so.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a little tiring to hear the 'good enough/it's not a prop replica' arguments. Fact is for the price it should have a very high degree of fidelity to the source (Tamashii 3PO is a great example in this regard - not a so-called prop replica and with some inaccuracies that collectors can overlook because overall they nailed it -- it's not that hard to understand). I'm still on the fence with this figure until we see some updated photos with the correct dome. Apparently the current photos up on SSC's site were not using the final, tweaked helmet and it did look a lot better to me on the SDCC video I saw (which did have the updated helmet).

Last edited:
The only way to get a great 1/6 Vader figure at the moment is to customize.. unless you're happy with lamp shade head, scrawny, licorice duds Vayda.. :huh :lol

I am so glad I don't have the discernment with Vader to realize that his widows peak is wrong or that his angle is off 5 degress or whatever.

This figure is going to kick *** and take names thanks to my ignorance. :lol

I am so glad I don't have the discernment with Vader to realize that his widows peak is wrong or that his angle is off 5 degress or whatever.

I am completely with you! I never sit and scrutinize my collectables. Nothing will ever be 100% perfect.

this is because you have been hypnotized by your avy and now complacency is the norm...........

OBEY.................CONSUME

I am completely with you! I never sit and scrutinize my collectables. Nothing will ever be 100% perfect.
It's not about being literally perfect. It's about being about as good as it can get for the scale/price (think SSC Tusken Raider, Tamashii C-3PO, HT Luke). Everything is going to have some flaws given the limitations they're working with. That's not the same thing as just accepting mediocrity because you simply don't care about details.

Marmit still got the work done and those were not prop accurate, but they looked awesome. Sideshow still hasn't topped those.

ANH:
qbyz.jpg
xgz7.jpg

ESB:
q8g4.jpg
z9d8.jpg

Back