Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Seriously though, I haven't seen this mentioned but, after scrutinizing these two images carefully, I think we may be looking at two different prototypes. Beside the aforementioned pants, the helmets look different (could just be the angle) and, in the top photo, there are two small metal bits on the chest armor, just below the neckline (almost look like staples to me) that aren't present in the bottom shot. Not sure what these are there for, maybe just to hold the armor in place?...
Good eye, Billy Ray. Not sure what those are but I think because of the odd placement and the fact there's two of them instead of one, that maybe Sideshow did use some sort of staple to pin the armour in place. Agree about the helmets, too. Bottom one looks better to my eye but like you say, it could just be the angle and they're actually the same helm. Another odd thing to me is that in the top photo, there is no cape chain and in the bottom photo, it appears to be molded plastic. Sure hope that's a rough mock-up and that they'll use real chain on the production piece. If not I guess someone will come up with a custom but have to say I'm surprised to see that.

Last edited:
another thing to keep in mind when looking at these proto pics(if it hasn't been said before)............sideshow is among the world's worst futzers.............:lecture

For the love of gawd, are there any lower-res pics about that people can keep reposting? :lol
Haha, sorry, Lejuan. I tried to avoid it but figured my post wouldn't make a lot of sense if I didn't include them. I guess people can just click on the green diamond by Billy Ray's name to go back to his original post, though. I'll edit 'em out.

another thing to keep in mind when looking at these proto pics(if it hasn't been said before)............sideshow is among the world's worst futzers.............:lecture
Yeah, and that's fine. Pretty sure the staples are just there to hold the armour in place for the photo, but really hoping they don't use molded plastic for the chain as it just looks so cheap.

Last edited:
Haha, sorry, Lejuan. I tried to avoid it but figured my post wouldn't make a lot of sense if I didn't include them. I guess people can just click on the green diamond by Billy Ray's name to go back to his original post, though. I'll edit 'em out.

:lol don't sweat it

Good eye, Billy Ray. Not sure what those are but I think because of the odd placement and the fact there's two of them instead of one, that maybe Sideshow did use some sort of staple to pin the armour in place. Agree about the helmets, too. Bottom one looks better to my eye but like you say, it could just be the angle and they're actually the same helm. Another odd thing to me is that in the top photo, there is no cape chain and in the bottom photo, it appears to be molded plastic. Sure hope that's a rough mock-up and that they'll use real chain on the production piece. If not I guess someone will come up with a custom but have to say I'm surprised to see that.

Yeah, if it's meant to be the chain clip seen in ROTJ, as Too Much Garlic proposed, then they did a really crappy job on it...and why are there two?

I'm with you on the chain as well.

Just pre-ordered him from collectablekitbash.

I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed by most of the pictures so far, but I trust Sideshow to deliver a proper Vader in the end. And if some things aren't up to par, he's still a great starting point for customizing my own perfect version. :) Finally I can have a quality 1:6 Darth Vader in my collection.

For the love of gawd, are there any lower-res pics about that people can keep reposting? :lol

FWIW, I once inquired to Darklord Dave if we could "do something" about the abundance of folks quoting pictures and he advised to to report the posts. So I did. Then Shropt PM'd me and told me that the Report Thread button was for more serious issues.

:(

It's pretty lame when you have a 6 Mb connection and one page takes 5 minutes to load because people keep quoting the same rassafrassin set of pictures.

I enjoy looking at elvis1976' Custom thread, but the amount of picture quoting that goes on there is a serious impediment to my enjoyment.

#FirstWorldProblems

FWIW, I once inquired to Darklord Dave if we could "do something" about the abundance of folks quoting pictures and he advised to to report the posts. So I did. Then Shropt PM'd me and told me that the Report Thread button was for more serious issues.

:(

shropt needs a :thwak

though in his defense he may be recycling.............and recycling iz serious biznezz..........:lecture

100076_press04.jpg

100076_press06.jpg

No, the saber does not light up (wish they'd reconsider that)...

Thanks for these two hi-res shots Billy....anybody know if the rest of the gallery is available high-res?

I'm confused. This looks Mediocre. Usually SS's proto's look great, and then the final looks mediocre. Is this gonna go from mediocre to horse****? Or is it gonna be SS's first to go from mediocre to greatness!

I'll put my money on.....................

Anyways, i hope it does turn out well, but my faith in them is not high.

No, the saber does not light up (wish they'd reconsider that)...

Thanks for these two hi-res shots Billy....anybody know if the rest of the gallery is available high-res?

I know, I was being a goof because it's been asked only about a million times now :wink1:

Back