Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think by the time I get my hands on him y'all be surprised.

Going to give this dude the special care he needs, real gloves, boots and groin piece out of leather. Fix his straps and belt too. Real chain, because my friends, the chain is molded plastic if ya haven't noticed. Repaint helmet and mask with a little bit mixed blacks and maybe a touch of silver, depends really. Repaint the belt pieces, control box and shin guards. Etc.. etc... maybe even get my friend IDM to get a very nice undershirt and pants to match the original on-screen version.

Then try to find me a SSC Stormtrooper mid waist section, left knee shin, detonator and belt; since I own a sandtrooper for other parts. Then mold and cast that along with a marmit stormtrooper helmet (Got full marmit from Waller, thanks man!) Get a couple knock off Slims based on TTs and then stitch some black spandex and we got a display that's awesome.

Estimated cost, around $400 with $260 vader.

Well that's my plans for next year. Y'all?

Now.. These two Pictures are interesting. I'm focusing on the chest armor.

...In this picture, you can see the cape hook on the armor.. But no chain. ow, it could be under the helmet, but it should be hooked on the cape hook on the armor.

...In this one, you can see the cape chain (And it looks like the correct one), but the cape HOOK is missing on the armor.

What are we going to get? ESB had no cape hook visible, and the cape chain was often hidden under the neck of the helmet (Apparently, this caused much uncomfortableness for Mr. Prowse.) In ROTJ, they added the cape hook on the armor, and the chain hoked around it.

I think we're seeing pictures of different prototypes...
Yep, Billy Ray brought it up (post 4463, if you want to check it out). Personally, I think those might be staples of some kind, to keep the armour in place for photos and not cape hooks because the placement seems haphazard and because someone posted a pic of the RotJ armour and there was only one cape hook and it was dead centre under the throat area. Also, in the second pic, the chain is molded plastic :)slap) so don't think it's a detail that they'd add. All in all, the prototype and photos are so sloppy (sloopy) that I guess we can't take anything for granted. Think Sideshow might've been better off to wait a month or two, to get this announcement done right.

...Well that's my plans for next year. Y'all?
While I think it's great that there are collectors like yourself with the eye for detail and passion to invest in taking any given figure to the next level, I do really hope SSC fixes some of the stuff on your list for release.

Last edited:
Full respect to those of you planning to swap out the body, chest box, MC Hammer liquorice pants etc etc but seriously if you have to do these kind of extreme mods to a $250 figure, there is something seriously wrong!

:lol

Get your KP-2 bodies while you can folks! :lecture

The fact that collectors are ready to do so much work on these are the reason for the mediocre quality of products being sold at such high cost. Classic case of the alien head in samurai predator. They wont swap it cause some of the blessed collectors can paint it and for the rest mortal people like us we still shell dollars and accept the same as is. Yes that fault is partially ours too.. But the real winner is the seller cause they would still sell 2.0 3.0 etc of the same figure just cause we are all collectively ready to accept mediocre figures.
My cycle tyres have 2 safety lights that cost 2 dolars and they are brighter and better than any lights i have seen in the figures being sold for 300 odd dollars. It sucks that hot toys, sideshow etc can get away with such mediocre outputs and again we are all to be blamed.

I just noticed that SSC doesn't anymore place edition sizes on their recent exclusives (i.e. TPM Kenobi, which used to say TDB).
Are they going HT on edition sizes as well?

I might be wrong, but the actual film used chain was indeed molded plastic and not metal.
But I'm guessing it was made out of individual links, whether plastic or metal, as opposed to one solid piece. We've seen all kinds of figures use metal chain, there's no reason this one @ $250.00 can't include that detail. I definitely agree with those that are saying it's kind of crazy to be putting in more money in mods to the most expensive figure Sideshow's released.

Back