Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I wonder, what is a fair price for this figure on the 'bay these days?

I have an ss exclusive of this lying around and are considering parting with it due to more "grown up" investment in household stuff :monkey4

Might even have to let the ss/weta sauron statue slip, flood+unreliable insurance company=manly tears :(

It's funny. That's what everyone says. But since Vader is on my desk and lower than me, I think he looks better looking down. Note: that's about as far down as the head goes on its own.

Probe droid is about to goose the Snow Trooper...

It's funny. That's what everyone says. But since Vader is on my desk and lower than me, I think he looks better looking down. Note: that's about as far down as the head goes on its own.

Is this SSC ESB DX Vader around 14" in height? He seems to be a full 2 inches over the snowie there. I know this Vader was slightly shorter than the ANH version, which I think was about 14 1/4".

The one I have was pretty much the same height out the box as the ANH version. Other people measured him a half inch shorter, so I don't know what happened there.

Looks like the HT version is around the same height again. We'll find out when we get that one in hand I guess.

The one I have was pretty much the same height out the box as the ANH version. Other people measured him a half inch shorter, so I don't know what happened there.

Looks like the HT version is around the same height again. We'll find out when we get that one in hand I guess.

I just looked at pics on rebelscum of this fig and you're right - it does seem to be about the same height as the ANH version (in the back-to-back pic) though side-by-side there seems to be maybe 1/4" difference, ANH just a tiny bit taller.

I've been trying to look back in this thread to see how much people thought the height was off - from what I've seen I think he's about 1/2"-3/4" too tall (the Vader expert guy "toomuchgarlic" on the boards here said Vader should be 13 1/2" tall)

Just watched a youtube review of this figure and those lights are just awesome. No idea how they got lights to work on such a thin belt and chestbox.

And yeah - seems like the HT Vader will have the same over-tall height. I was saying earlier it may be a LFL-mandated thing - Vader is TALL.:lol

The consensus seemed to be that this Vader was 13 3/4", which is what I measured him at stood on the stand.

When I first measured him laying down he was 13.5".

I never could figure where the quarter of an inch went!

The consensus seemed to be that this Vader was 13 3/4", which is what I measured him at stood on the stand.

When I first measured him laying down he was 13.5".

I never could figure where the quarter of an inch went!

It's a weird thing - maybe it's the way the hip joints are positioned?

Next to other SSC figs in the rebelscum photos, he certainly appears to be at least 1/2" too tall. Would be interested to see before and after pics of the height mod.

This pic with Piett he looks pretty gigantic (Piett's shoulders aren't far above Vader's belt,) but it's possible those old SSC figs are too short.

Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-043.jpg

I just looked at pics on rebelscum of this fig and you're right - it does seem to be about the same height as the ANH version

Those photos, if they're the original ones I'm thinking of, are wrong. I have no idea how they took them or what they did to their figure, but it doesn't show an accurate representation of Vader's out of box height.

He is 13 and 7/8" out of box which is shorter than I've read the ANH version is (I don't have one of those to measure). Some people may measure him at 14" but that's still shorter than ANH. Some folks measured him at 13.5" but we never figured out how/why. I've taken this guy apart completely and it's impossible to make adjustments or squeeze any removable parts down to make up the difference from 13 7/8" to 13.5" - the only thing I can possibly think of is some alternate parts, like a different neck.

Last edited:
We've been here before, but a number of people didn't "do" anything to make it higher than the measurement in your pic. I have no idea why the measurements are all over the place.

We've been here before, but a number of people didn't "do" anything to make it higher than the measurement in your pic. I have no idea why the measurements are all over the place.

I don't recall them being all over the place from members here. Most came in like the measurement I showed and then a few at 13.5" - no one that I recall measured the figure to what RS showed in some photos - that he's the same height as ANH.

The back to back is what I'm talking about, where the figures are positioned to show them at almost the same height. This shot below, showing them at least 1/4" different in height is closer to reality:

Darth-Vader-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Sixth-Scale-Sideshow-Collectibles-052.jpg

Last edited:
The ANH rebelscum vader had been modded from what I recall and was unmodded (think just a body swap) for these photos. So maybe something happened there or it just has to do with leg positioning. I don't remember other side by side photos showing much of a difference in height.

The ANH rebelscum vader had been modded from what I recall and was unmodded (think just a body swap) for these photos. So maybe something happened there or it just has to do with leg positioning. I don't remember other side by side photos showing much of a difference in height.

So their ANH Vader was modded to make it taller? That doesn't make any sense with regards to what's shown in the images. If the figure wasn't stock, it should never have been posted along side the Deluxe Vader.

Anyway, the height is what it is. Take a look at my Flickr stream for more images of the base body sitting on a ruler. It's 13 7/8 and would be best between 13.25 and 13.5 MAX.

I have both figures un-modified. Well, I repositioned the dome on the ANH 'cause it was loose out of the box. but that's all. I'll take some pics with a tape tomorrow.

I have both figures un-modified. Well, I repositioned the dome on the ANH 'cause it was loose out of the box. but that's all. I'll take some pics with a tape tomorrow.

There are other member photos of the same way back in the thread, but new one can't hurt. At the end of the day they may be useful to someone, but I'm not sure what the narrative is. Is it to show that Sideshow screwed up again? That they screwed up by the same margin they did before? ;) Both are too tall, both need many mods for improved 'accuracy' - the mod threads cover all that stuff pretty well.

Back