Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I stole an idea I saw from another member (sorry can't remember who...) but they had a good idea and wanted to show how it turned out...

I picked up an ironman stand and a couple of the VOTC figures off ebay. For the money you can not beat them! $25 and they are a killer accent to vader. May not be as "perfect" as the sideshow / medicom figures... But pretty darn good on the cheap!!

Really makes a good display in the case.

Ok so I stole an idea I saw from another member (sorry can't remember who...) but they had a good idea and wanted to show how it turned out...

I picked up an ironman stand and a couple of the VOTC figures off ebay. For the money you can not beat them! $25 and they are a killer accent to vader. May not be as "perfect" as the sideshow / medicom figures... But pretty darn good on the cheap!!

Nice.

I'm sure he was an awesome guy! Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine finally arrived today , first impression the box is 3 times the size of the ANH version and figure has shrunk but its a good thing. I haven't had a chance to really inspect the figure but from a first glance the tusks are intact, no scuffs on the dome , no cape fraying and no parts missing . From what I have been able to see of everything so far this is an awsome figure and definatly the best Vader to be produced so far. SS really took the time to develop this one and it shows. I still like my Modded ANH version and it will remain my Vader display piece in my collection but I must say if I could only have one it would be this one. I'm keeping this one MISB which is about most of my collection .

I picked up one of those too after seeing his idea 😜 but I didn't realize how big it is! Is yours in a Detolf? If so I'm going to need to get me one.

I'm keeping this one MISB which is about most of my collection .
Keeping this or any new figure MISB for long periods isn't a good idea, for the following reason: The plastics (and maybe paints too) used in producing the armor, helmet, etc. are not fully cured, even though they look and feel solid. That is why we have that 'new toy smell'. The chemicals in those materials are still producing vapors, and will continue to do so for months. If the figure (especially Vader's helmet) remains in physical contact with the clamshell packaging, there could easily be a chemical interaction which causes marks on the glossy surface. I strongly urge you to take your figures OUT of the box, perhaps stand them with a zip-lock bag loosely covering them with the bag open at the feet, (that's what I do) for a period of months. Then you can safely return them to their boxes later.

Last edited:
Finally.. got my Vader. First thing I did (besides putting the Anakin head on eBay) was to check for defects. Tusks are intact, helmet clean, light up gimmicks working, cape.. arrrrhhhhh.. while not as bad as I've seen in some pictures on here it's definitely not perfect. It doesn't really bother me but I might request a new one just off of principle. These figures cost too much to accept less than the best they can do. This is my first Sideshow figure as well so they need to wow me. I'm extremely happy with the figure overall though.

My setup..

Started from the bottom..

xgij3p.jpg

2pq51c6.jpg

Now we here...

bimliw.jpg

5dl9j7.jpg

vyb0bn.jpg

i3cg36.jpg

Hasbro Stormies.. works for me! I wasn't going to use the base but #1.. it fit too perfect for me to ignore and #2.. I was not comfortable with Vader standing on his own. The idea of having steps in the back went out the window when I saw just how big and wide Vader is with that cape. Now I just need to find a background and I'm good. Someone suggested that I add red LED lights beneath the Storm Troopers. I may do that eventually.

Last edited:
I emailed SSC returns department last Wednesday and my replacement helmet arrived today. So it took 6 days from one email to the arrival of the replacement. That's what I call service! Didn't ask for photos of the original damaged one either.

That's not a good sign, it means they're getting so many of these that they just automatically believe the complainer.

And SSC would need to recoup costs associated with those replacements somehow. Won't be surprised if prices on future figures continue to rise.

And SSC would need to recoup costs associated with those replacements somehow. Won't be surprised if prices on future figures continue to rise.

They make enough profit on these that i doubt that would happen because of this, these helmets do not cost that much. If they were going to raise prices it would be to recover costs with something like the HT Batmobile mess.

Vader with Fett...

Nice shot jedibear! :clap
Although naturally provided with a non-negligible force, I ignored that a bear could postulate to the rank of Jedi! ...

This Darth Vader is definitely too big ... Unless this is Boba Fett who suffers from a lack of growth hormone?

:lol Obviously, it was a foregone conclusion!

... Once more, great shots paramoremcr88! :rock

And this is Vader (beware lots of 'naughty' language):

[video=dailymotion;xfgk30]https://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xfgk30[/video]

:rotflThis parody makes me pissing of laughter ... This is not smart, I won't be able to watch SW without thinking about it now ...

So I sent my exchange request to SSC on Tuesday for a new Anakin head, shoulder armor, and belt. I got an email last night saying my items will be shipping in 7-10 days and once I accept them, I need to send pics of the dastroyed items. Not bad and I'm satisfied with their response so far.

Finally.. got my Vader. First thing I did (besides putting the Anakin head on eBay) was to check for defects. Tusks are intact, helmet clean, light up gimmicks working, cape.. arrrrhhhhh.. while not as bad as I've seen in some pictures on here it's definitely not perfect. It doesn't really bother me but I might request a new one just off of principle. These figures cost too much to accept less than the best they can do. This is my first Sideshow figure as well so they need to wow me. I'm extremely happy with the figure overall though.

My setup..

Started from the bottom..

Now we here...

Hasbro Stormies.. works for me! I wasn't going to use the base but #1.. it fit too perfect for me to ignore and #2.. I was not comfortable with Vader standing on his own. The idea of having steps in the back went out the window when I saw just how big and wide Vader is with that cape. Now I just need to find a background and I'm good. Someone suggested that I add red LED lights beneath the Storm Troopers. I may do that eventually.

Ahhh so it was your idea!! Thx man! I really like how it turned out. I tried the base in the middle and for me it just sits too high. Plus I like the stairs. If u **** around w vader he will stand fine but took a few min to get sturdy. Picked up another stormy too so I can swap fett in and out.

2 questions.

1) Is this figure the same hight as the ANH figure (too tall).

2) Does this mean we will never see a Hot Toys Vader?

It's slightly shorter than the ANH one,,,weather or not it's "too tall" is the subject of continued debate...depends on the source or your preferences. The body proportions on this one look so good...it doesn't look "too tall" to me...

Not trying to start another flame war here but, who needs a Hot Toys Vader? As far as this collector is concerned, everything in the execution of this Vader is so well done, from the package to the figure to the included accessories and display options, that a HT Vader anytime soon would be redundant. This version is superb on it's own merits...

1. This figure is 13.5 to 14" tall depending on your particular copy. I have managed to get mine down to 13 7/8" but it will not go any lower without modification. - YES, it's way too tall - it should be 13.25" to be "perfect height."

2. Umm, ya. :wink1: Never say never, but we're more likely to see a new Sideshow Vader before a Hot Toys version. I also have doubts whether Hot Toys would/could do any better than Sideshow. I mean, Sideshow themselves could have done better in terms of proportions/sizing, but the production quality is top-notch, just as good as anything from Hot Toys. The electronics are better than any I have from Hot Toys - those guys don't even use resistors on their LEDs (which is asinine).

Back