Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, more confirmation that the stock head/helmet position looks very off. It really makes it look like he's got giraffe neck.

Now where is PJB-1138? - he's got to give up the goods on his photos, just about the only ones that show a correctly scaled figure along side other characters.
There are so many, contradictions of height relationship of characters in the movie that what ever people choose to display can be correct. There's no doubt that the figure is too tall but again you can just about find any justification in the screen grabs.

in regards to the dome yes both the shape and the position is off again! Which is disappointing
the positioning an easy fix you can simply warm the helm in hot water which softens the glue enough to reposition.
the shape is another matter but it's a big improvement over the last effort.
the last pic is of my Vader with a kitbashed emperor on the ssc boba fett body raised to the height of the Vader stand. Now for rotj Vader/emps it's almost perfect but for rots Vader is really over sized or palps is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 551
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 582
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 961
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 556
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
There are so many, contradictions of height relationship of characters in the movie

Everything else I agree with, but not that part. Vader is a very consistent height throughout the movies along with his relative height to other characters. Any apparent discrepancies are easy enough to notice due to camera angles and simple perspective. The Tantive IV image you posted for instance shows Vader in front of the Troopers, making him appear much taller. If you watch the scene you can see clearly the true height relationship when he passes on the same plane as the troopers - that's the Tantive IV example I used in my flickr set.

And this is why I really want the details on PJB's setup - it looks fan-friggen-tastic. Absolutely the best since anyone's had this figure in hand. But King still has the top honor for a shot of Vader alone. ;)

They're the troopers from the Han and Luke set, with rubber knobs mounted to the neck pegs so that the helmets can be worn. Also, which isn't obvious from the photos, I narrowed the width of the chest armor and swapped the original floppy bodies for the tighter ones that came from the later Sandtrooper figures so they can stand on their own.

Were the sandtrooper bodies taller than original stormtroopers or the Han & Luke troopers? Yours look nearly an inch taller than all the other pics of troopers next to Vader. They look perfectly scaled for what I want for my display.

Were the sandtrooper bodies taller than original stormtroopers or the Han & Luke troopers? Yours look nearly an inch taller than all the other pics of troopers next to Vader. They look perfectly scaled for what I want for my display.

As far as I know, mainly from participating in related threads, they're the same. And one of the early in-hand pictures of Vader in this thread is actually next to a Sandtrooper without the shoulder pauldron - he towers over the trooper. I don't think I've been this anxious to find out anything here on the forum as much as the secret behind those photos. :panic:

And this is why I really want the details on PJB's setup - it looks fan-friggen-tastic. Absolutely the best since anyone's had this figure in hand. But King still has the top honor for a shot of Vader alone. ;)

If you're referring to the old vader/new vader mish mash than he has that on a KP body. He posted the specifics in the ANH thread.

Its the new armor, robe, cape, belt and chest box on a KP 02. All other parts are ANH.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i got my ANH vader out of the dungeon and boy, what a difference in height; as others have said, the new one may be a little off in the 'height' dept, but its much, much closer.

The one thing I do prefer: ANH lightsaber. Much nicer than the almost 'hasbro-level' quality to the new blade! Jikes, a bad call on that one accessory

Thanks for the kind words, PP. But, as Fiend pointed out, the Vader in those shots were on the Kaustic KP02 body that King Darkness I believe was the first here to brilliantly use on his ANH Vader. I simply swapped the armor, belt, chest panel and cape from the new Vader to the figure you saw flanked by my two trooper figures, whose heights were in no way altered by those Sandtrooper bodies. I did that only because the joints on the stock figures were so floppy that they could never stand on their own as you see them in those photos.

As for my two cents on Vader's height, according to the Star Wars wiki entry, Vader stood 6-foot 8-inches tall in his armor, which translates into 1/6 scale as just shy of 13 1/2". That's exactly how tall the Vader figure stands on the KP02 body, driving those of us who took that measure with the first Vader so crazy that Sideshow could screw that up with the new ESB/ROTJ Vader. :slap

https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Vader%27s_armor

Everything else I agree with, but not that part. Vader is a very consistent height throughout the movies along with his relative height to other characters. Any apparent discrepancies are easy enough to notice due to camera angles and simple perspective. The Tantive IV image you posted for instance shows Vader in front of the Troopers, making him appear much taller. If you watch the scene you can see clearly the true height relationship when he passes on the same plane as the troopers - that's the Tantive IV example I used in my flickr set.

Well not really true prowse is a lot taller than bob Anderson the stunt vader, the tantive pic I posted the trooper on the right is practically next to vader yet the top of the helmet comes vaders neck where the taller trooper behind the top of the helm would almost touch vaders nose. Then you have the instances of mark hamill standing on boxes same for leia and of course the famous Cushing in slippers and not boots. All adding to variations in the scenes. The custom you like is clearly lacking any of vaders bulk so while what you consider the right height is just as wrong proportionally.

Thanks for the kind words, PP. But, as Fiend pointed out, the Vader in those shots were on the Kaustic KP02 body that King Darkness I believe was the first here to brilliantly use on his ANH Vader. I simply swapped the armor, belt, chest panel and cape from the new Vader to the figure you saw flanked by my two trooper figures, whose heights were in no way altered by those Sandtrooper bodies. I did that only because the joints on the stock figures were so floppy that they could never stand on their own as you see them in those photos.

As for my two cents on Vader's height, according to the Star Wars wiki entry, Vader stood 6-foot 8-inches tall in his armor, which translates into 1/6 scale as just shy of 13 1/2". That's exactly how tall the Vader figure stands on the KP02 body, driving those of us who took that measure with the first Vader so crazy that Sideshow could screw that up with the new ESB/ROTJ Vader. :slap

I didn't mean to answer for you back there. Piper had asked a few times and I didn't know when you would be online again.

As for the KP, I think its the perfect height. Its just those arms I don't like and the way the legs look a bit stubby due to the massive ANH boots. Of course, this could be a nonissue for people because the cape and robes hide them.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

i got my ANH vader out of the dungeon and boy, what a difference in height; as others have said, the new one may be a little off in the 'height' dept, but its much, much closer.

The one thing I do prefer: ANH lightsaber. Much nicer than the almost 'hasbro-level' quality to the new blade! Jikes, a bad call on that one accessory

Is anyone planning on modifying the light sabre by swapping out the blade with one from another Sideshow Sith figure? Is it even doable? I'm tempted to try for something that matches my Hot Toys Luke's blade.

Thanks for the info. I've got 4 original floppy troopers just looking for a good body swap. I never attempted it before but now that I have Vader on his way I'm motivated by you all to get a great display set up.

Well not really true prowse is a lot taller than bob Anderson the stunt vader,

See, I wasn't talking about actors' heights, only the characters. Whether or not anyone stood on a box, it was to achieve the correct character height. Obviously if they put someone (else) on a box it's precisely because they didn't want Vader to appear quite as tall. But besides that, the character height relationship against Vader is most clearly displayed in the shots I put up already. I could have put up more, but I thought the ones I chose distilled very clearly what was being shown in all three movies. Many shots clearly show characters on the same plane with full view of their feet.

Seeing as I don't want to hide the bottom half of my figures, I'd like to also display them on the same plane without looking too ridiculous. PJB mentioned it again, a 1/6 Vader is not supposed to be over 13.5" tall. Which would sit very well with other 1/6 SW figures people already have. Unfortunately there isn't very much trooper height variety with the existing figures unless more modding comes into play. ;) Or someone breaks out a Medicom - for the opposite direction, those stubby little bastards.

Last edited:
It's taking SSC too long to ship this figure. Final flex pay was charged on Wednesday and I still have no shipping notice. My Bespin Luke is waiting.

Haven't seen any pics of this fig with Bespin Luke yet, unless I missed them.

Same here. My card was charged last week and still hasn't shipped yet. Why not?

Well not really true prowse is a lot taller than bob Anderson the stunt vader, the tantive pic I posted the trooper on the right is practically next to vader yet the top of the helmet comes vaders neck where the taller trooper behind the top of the helm would almost touch vaders nose. Then you have the instances of mark hamill standing on boxes same for leia and of course the famous Cushing in slippers and not boots. All adding to variations in the scenes. The custom you like is clearly lacking any of vaders bulk so while what you consider the right height is just as wrong proportionally.

QFT. They played around with everyone else's heights in a new hope to give the illusion Vader was a towering monster. The whole Tantive scene with extra short stormies to make him even taller was carefully staged to give Vader the screen presence and menace they wanted. Followed on by underscoring Luke was even shorter than those stormtroopers ("aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"). The actors heights are about as relevant as Ian McKellen's and Martin Freeman's as they carefully manipulated the heights to give the desired effect.

QFT. They played around with everyone else's heights in a new hope to give the illusion Vader was a towering monster.

Except standing someone else on a box has the opposite effect. Carefully studying all three movies with this in mind, I see they wanted to make Vader menacing, but the producers were very clear as to not give Vader an illusion of being anywhere close to towering (Chewbacca). It was done in moderation and there are plenty of face to face scenes with at least a half dozen other characters to show this very clearly. If they wanted him to truly be towering, they'd have employed a different actor, maybe one as tall as Mayhew - or put Vader on a box.

Just received my Darth Vader from FEDEX. The outer brown shipper was badly damaged and the Anakin head sculpt is crocked. I have not tried to put the helmet on this head as I am thinking of having it replaced. Is the crocked head going to be a problem? Should I get Sideshow to replace it?

Attachments

• IMG_7420.JPG
    IMG_7420.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_7423.JPG
    IMG_7423.JPG
    341.9 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_7447.JPG
    IMG_7447.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_7449.JPG
    IMG_7449.JPG