Sideshow Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure - Return of the Jedi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics/review bebe...the new suit looks pretty good and a nice alternative to HT...

Yes...I just think sideshow should have done something custom with the base. I mean the deluxe base I have is amazing for Vader...but even if the hex base had the Imperial symbol on it. Something individual.....with all the rehashes. Mandolorian symbol on Bobas hex base.

I think this is a great competition to the Hot Toys. Hot Toys has the helmet, light up sabre...just the fat, squat body and the pretty much useless electronic voice didn't sway me. I think stature for Vader is a lil more important for me than the helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my final pose and set up in my display case:

e5cc8103d4535ab158af8de866c26899.jpg

Again I think it is a big improvement over the original Sideshow Deluxe Vader and a worthy effort by sideshow to compete with the Hot Toys Darth Vader. I cannot say which one is better or at least it would be of extreme subjection as I do not own the HT Vader. In my opinion they are both great Vaders and actually are 1/6th scale designs of 2 different suits from 2 different movies (ANH for HT and ROTJ for SS). Needless to say, it is a great time to be a Star Wars and Vader collector.

Also! I've actually decided against putting the HT helmet on my SS Vader (for now). I think I like it as is...and it is all uniformly shiny whereas the ANH HT is a bit matte. I did spend too much on that HT helmet...but I'm using it on display:

103480d0f45d54ff1fbbc067c98f534a.jpg

To sum up...I am just so glad I have a great Vader in my collection. I am a huge Darth Vader fan and this SS ROTJ Vader very much satisfies me...I was never ever happy with the Deluxe I had...i am not the pickiest of collectors but I just felt the undersuit, gloves, and the overall thickness of the figure needed to be enhanced. I think Sideshow did that extremely well and went beyond my expectations. Great figure and don't hesitate if you are curious about it!

If you have any more questions collectors...just ask!
Btw...thank you for all the nice replies! The Sideshow Freaks community has always been nice to me so I want to spread the love and say THANK YOU!

2bb66c095638d3582d49264f2e1fb906.jpg

Here is my final pose and set up in my display case:

2bb66c095638d3582d49264f2e1fb906.jpg

Thanks very much for posting so many images of your SSC 2016 Vader. Aside from the SSC lightsaber blade - I like it much more than the HT version and will place an order too! I just wish SSC would go back to the older slimline clean blades from 2007.

Thanks very much for posting so many images of your SSC 2016 Vader. Aside from the SSC lightsaber blade - I like it much more than the HT version and will place an order too! I just wish SSC would go back to the older slimline clean blades from 2007.

This version of Vader does have a slimmer blade.

340fac00c6f5e761ddde94bfa71512b0.jpg

VS

6aa4c9d5f02ac0cad43ea1a46f36cef0.jpg

Also it has a nice texturing in the blade. Way better.

This version of Vader does have a slimmer blade. Also it has a nice texturing in the blade. Way better.

Maybe it's personal preference, but I'm not a fan of the textured blades, except on Kylo Ren which is screen accurate.
My preferred look is the HT slim clean blade or the older SSC blades from 2006, like Jedi Luke came with.
I think you have a very good looking Vader there, nicely set up.

Maybe it's personal preference, but I'm not a fan of the textured blades, except on Kylo Ren which is screen accurate.
My preferred look is the HT slim clean blade or the older SSC blades from 2006, like Jedi Luke came with.
I think you have a very good looking Vader there, nicely set up.

Thank you! I usually pose him with the sabre...but really loving that hands on belt pose!

What Vader are you rocking?

bebe13junior - very nice man, thanks for posting the pics and reviews! I'm very tempted to get this guy, the suit and better base body seem to make a big difference. If I didn't already have the HT and Deluxe SSC, I would be all over this one already. But Mouth of Sauron is my next target, then maybe SSC Vader will get the upgrade.

Thank you! I usually pose him with the sabre...but really loving that hands on belt pose!

What Vader are you rocking?

It's the new 2016 version I am more impressed by. It's got a much better looking, quilted, body suit. The older deluxe version has some great elements, but I like the revised new one. Thanks for asking!

It's the new 2016 version I am more impressed by. It's got a much better looking, quilted, body suit. The older deluxe version has some great elements, but I like the revised new one. Thanks for asking!

Do you have a Vader currently?

If you have any questions, want more pics let me know

The selling point for a figure for me is the head sculpt or helmet. Coz that's the part I look at first. If there's no improvement in that area. I'm not gonna replaced for what I have now.

I don't own any Vader at all right now.
Without offending anybody here, I always felt the movie ANH Vader looks like a "work in progress" costume, there's something slightly rough about it, with an unfinished quality to it (as though they got it to an acceptable level in order to shoot it for the movie). By the time ESB + ROTJ came out they had nailed it in the costume dept and finalized it.
So I always was more drawn to the ESB/ROTJ look.

That's very kind of you - to offer follow up photos. I appreciate it.
I think the new SSC Vader will be my next purchase. I may get a HT lightsaber instead of the stock one.

I don't own any Vader at all right now.
Without offending anybody here, I always felt the movie ANH Vader looks like a "work in progress" costume, there's something slightly rough about it, with an unfinished quality to it (as though they got it to an acceptable level in order to shoot it for the movie). By the time ESB + ROTJ came out they had nailed it in the costume dept and finalized it.
So I always was more drawn to the ESB/ROTJ look.

That's very kind of you - to offer follow up photos. I appreciate it.
I think the new SSC Vader will be my next purchase. I may get a HT lightsaber instead of the stock one.

ANH Vader

0e5e263429d3aa01e1c5d267116c8eea.jpg

The suit is definately rougher, more unpolished than the ESB/ROTJ version...but a lot of ppl like that about it. Very gritty,
looks a bit more menacing...but sometimes it does seem a bit unfinished when comparing to the later versions. I think it had a lot to do with standards and money allotted for Sci-Fi movies at the time. I think the biggest gap in the original films occurs between ANH and ESB...the shots they were able to do, especially action, the increased detail and scope of the locations, ships ect...and that goes into the suits, costumes as well. ANH probably didn't have the funding or all the prop making talent invested in the movie. ESB would have had a bigger backing and this would make for better production.

I think they had to remake the suit for ESB because the ANH helmet mold was destroyed. So starting over they made a more polished suit with all that added money and talent.

ESB suit

4f16b20498ae987bf4ecafb8878f87ad.jpg

I'll preface this by saying The Empire Strikes Back is my Favorite Star Wars movie, one of my top movies of all time. To me it best depicts the main characters, factions, and themes of the entire original trilogy. I think Vaders ESB depiction in particular had a profound effect on my view of the character. Along with the dialogue, the imperial march, his rule over his Imperial officers, his hiring of bounty hunters, his battle with and revelation to Luke...the suit played its part in making Darth Vader seem larger than life. I cannot see the ANH Vader suit having quite the same impact if it had been worn instead of the ESB suit. Now I know a lot goes to how the suit is shot (and ESB shot Vader extremely well)...but I think he better mirrored the cold menacing Empire in the new suit. It was a bit more polished...and I'd expect that from the second highest ranking Imperial. Also I liked that the helmet "face" isn't as angry looking...more of a blank face...like a skeleton..doesn't have a disposition. This is the movie when Vader begins to be more than a machine...he is more developed and i find has a better connection with the audience. He's set up to have a human side in the movie, culminating with the reveal that he is Lukes father. I actually think the helmet works better having that neutral look rather than the angry ANH to characterize the human side of Vader.

Hey do the light buttons still show up green without the light up feature on this Vaders belt box?
I've seen pictures of this figure and these buttons show up black, very dark green when not lit up. Like in this picture

ee11514e15b1522cfd2e323aa3ffc50d.jpg

I was thinking of getting a vader for my display for when my esb prop maker vader helmet gets here. I was looking at the sideshow deluxe exclusive but from the review on the 2016 version it sounds like the figure itself is better. Only thing I would miss out on is the severed hand which I would have liked to have and the light up base which would be nice too. I already have the unhelmeted head/mask/helmet and light up stand for the mask/helmet. Does the stand from the deluxe make a big difference or does having the better vader figure make more of a difference when displaying them.

Definitely get the ROTJ over the Deluxe - from the pics here, the suit and hands make it 100 times better!

Does anyone make a custom severed hand/gauntlet like the one that came in the exclusive deluxe vader that would fit/match this figure? With this being a rotj it would have been nice to have that included.

Back