Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I'll look for an old release on ebay, not getting the HT one as they passed my sworn 1:6 figure price roof on theirs.

44584340590_bd0cac45c9_b.jpg

By the way I didn't get a refund or another head, received an answer that pushed the issue under the rug, and as I've been extremely busy, didn't even find time to reply

Much regrets on this figure, wish I cancelled or returned (but the return had bad terms too, so really wish I cancelled and didn't go through all this)

This is too expensive of a figure for them to just be so trivial about it. I’d send it back honestly. Make them pay for it though.

Had to revisit this one, with this being the 20th anniversary of The Phantom Menace. This really is a strong headsculpt. I'm looking forward to Hot Toys' version, but this head is going to be hard to top.

IMG_6442.jpg

This sculpt and paint is just so insanely good... the expression is so strong. No way it can be done better - for my taste anyways. I just really want the HT robe when it comes out... but I guess everyone wants that, so I can probably forget about that.

While the overall figure offering of Maul was seemingly overpriced for what it included, Sideshow definitely gave him a very good effort for their second go at this character, which is interesting given how their Jedi Luke does not share such a step up from the prior figure and the gap between those releases.

It seems like Maul is a character that is easy to do very well if you give the effort, so we find ourselves in a spot where overall quality and appearances between a Sideshow release and a Hot Toys aren’t high, and the difference comes more in accessories and features and coming down to preferences. I’d say portraits are about equal between them with maybe slight edge to HT for their eyes being more accurate, but the overall heads are about equal so it’s a matter of which tattoo style and facial expression you prefer, Sideshow offers one take mixed with a more neutral, intense gaze portrait where HT gives a different take mixed with a more angry expression to his face. Given the ability to have either or, I’d pick Sideshow not as looking better but as being my preferred look. It’s almost like having the 3 Hasbro 12” Maul’s using almost all the same pieced with just slight head differences, but same clothes, etc, picking one isn’t about one being better made, it just suits your taste more.

It’s always about personal taste in preference, but open minds can also concede when something is better produced even if it’s not your liking.

Fantastic shots, Sean and Starduster...Had to revisit this one myself...

MAUL-27.jpg

I agree that this Sideshow effort is a good one. It will be interesting later this year when HT's hits...not so much for comparsion's sake (to me anyway) but to see how they render this character. No doubt, it will be good (unless there is some weird stumble in production...it's been known to happen).

As for the Sideshow Luke v2, while most seem to feel it's not a step up from the previous one, I'll have to respectfully disagree. Is it a home run? Not by a long shot, but I haven't had as much fun manipulating and changing up a figure as I have that one in a while. I even snapped some fun shots of it. The effort was there, it just fell short for those that were expecting HT results from Sideshow. True, they kind of brought that on themselves with that price jump and the lackluster presentation, but it still manages to be a cool figure, just like this v2 Maul. That's my two cents anyway...

Which version is this? I see two on Sideshow. Have a $200 credit and a $20 gift card.

Sideshow’s Dual on Naboo version (there were two versions: Collector Edition — the only one left — and Exclusive— sold out); I’m assuming you’re referring to the other version by Hot Toys when you say “two versions.”

Back