Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah wow... quality has gone down hill and dropped off a cliff, as stated before I would return it and send it with a note stating how unacceptable this is.

Hmm, from those new photos, maybe this is just me, but somehow I see that the sculpt itself is a bit softer than the old batch. I didn't see the nose wrinkles (the wrinkles that are on the sides of the nose, add more gritty expression), softer details and less sharp head tusks, and also the upper lips details aren't as sharp (the old batch has sculpted lines on it).

So maybe that and the paint scheme differences are the main cause of the lack of expression in the new batches.

Yeah I completely agree with your assessment, it was my result as well - I do like the figure a lot, but the face expression is confusing me - It's especially the mouth area that is the lowpoint of the figure, even from 2 meters away, The mouth details are the first thing to get my attention, If I keep the figure, I'd place it on a 5th level Ikea shelf, which pretty much places it on the ceiling, maybe that would make things appear normal

If I was in US, it would be easier to return, but it's an international order, 20% tax paid with DHL, I wonder how the return process is, I'll query Sideshow soon

If it was a $139.99 figure, It would be a keeper, as a subjective comparison, my $149.95 QMX Khan was a pretty satisfying figure, better details, similar packaging and details quality - so I'd say this figure is deserving of a $139.99

Yeah I completely agree with your assessment, it was my result as well - I do like the figure a lot, but the face expression is confusing me - It's especially the mouth area that is the lowpoint of the figure, even from 2 meters away, The mouth details are the first thing to get my attention, If I keep the figure, I'd place it on a 5th level Ikea shelf, which pretty much places it on the ceiling, maybe that would make things appear normal

If I was in US, it would be easier to return, but it's an international order, 20% tax paid with DHL, I wonder how the return process is, I'll query Sideshow soon

If it was a $139.99 figure, It would be a keeper, as a subjective comparison, my $149.95 QMX Khan was a pretty satisfying figure, better details, similar packaging and details quality - so I'd say this figure is deserving of a $139.99

Yes that is acceptable.
I managed to buy mine recently for $180, brand new, and I think that's a fair price for batch one Maul.
Right after that, I think people started to realize that SS Maul expression is more in character than those of HT's, and the prices on eBay started to hike up again.

Maybe its a knock-off.

There are some knock off headsculpts on Ebay from time to time, but they are never part of a figure set. I have a search set up on Ebay for those and when they show up i check them out.
The one posted above seems to just be a friday afternoon paintjob.
They head itself looks legit.
And if it's from SS, they won't be selling knock offs, lol.

Wow, Sideshow really **** the bed with the reissue, huh? Why is that not surprising? The initial run of this figure was spotty, but it seems this one is nearly guaranteed to disappoint?

Luckily, I managed to get one, from the initial run, that didn’t have any issues. I like it enough that I don’t really think I’ll bother getting the Hot Toys, in all honesty.

I contacted Sideshow, they say the photos look normal (according to them, nothing wrong with the figure/headsculpt ...), and (assumably for this reason) they won't cover shipping charges and the non-refundable deposit

So, as far as I understand, not only I will need to pay return shipping, I'll also not get my customs tax back, or the $25 deposit

I don't think I will buy anything from Sideshow again, and not sure what to do about this figure at this point

Replacement head arrived today 3B478CDA-E76D-4917-817D-3FA05C8D0739.jpeg05747E37-402B-4825-A0AF-85480828B5A1.jpeg7E8A2995-86C6-4AC8-9E72-98EE1DE16F52.jpeg075656B5-B2B4-4737-97D4-7478C6E9E139.jpeg

That looks like a version one head. He’s got the dog nose. Frankly, that never bothered me.

The one on the body is so messed up. Look at the left eye. The black under the eye is way off. And the arch at the eyebrow is a lot weaker than the one on his right eye, which is one of the main factors throwing off his menacing look.

Amazing how different the paint apps are on both heads. Shows how poor SS's QC is. That's unacceptable when paying these prices for this stuff. Especially from SS who expect to command higher prices yet deliver lesser quality pieces than HT with virtually no accessories many times.

Back